1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A Band Member Drops From the Tour: You've Bought Expensive Tickets

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by goldtopper, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Rod Parsons

Rod Parsons Friend of Leo's

That's a good one, that I haven't heard. Some of my friends will soon, though! Ha ha ha! :D

2. tukk04

tukk04 Tele-Meister

I hate Bon Jovi, but I would go just to see phil x if I had the cash, that's how awesome phil x is.

3. PumpJockey

PumpJockey Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

There are some videos out there of Phil X and BJ the *previous* time he filled in for Sambora in rehab. He's a great player and he already knows their material.

Maybe you'll get to hear him through his Evil Robot brand of amp? They are supposedly killer.

4. sax4blues

sax4blues Friend of Leo's

If I was the promoter I would not consider any refund/discount for one second. That is just opening an endless can of worms.

As for what defines a band that's very fluid, especially with older bands that reconfigure over the years, eg: Foreigner.

I saw Slash in Oakland a few months ago. That night Myles Kennedy was ailing with some cold or flu so the bass player sang quite a few songs. It was still a great show, I had the evening out with my son that I wanted, and as stated already, these guys are pros, they are prepared to put on a top show even dealing with issues.

5. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

Funny. I just got the new musician's Friend flyer and who's on the cover? Ritchie Sambora. And he talks about how he's so looking forward to touring and blah, blah, blah...

6. Ricky D.

Ricky D. Doctor of Teleocity

deleted

7. bluesfordan

bluesfordan Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

heck, I'd go see them to hear Phil X play. Don't really even care that much for Bon Jovi.

It will probably actually be a better show now, anyway.

8. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 Poster Extraordinaire

Wow, people are surprisingly harsh....and most aren't even "getting it". It's about seeing Sambora because he is in the band. Seeing some random person play the same parts will never be the same....it's just one step closer to a Tribute band.

Now, I think the OP is pretty much SOL here, sadly....but it wouldn't hurt to complain. Who knows what'll happen.

9. Toto'sDad

Toto'sDad Telefied Ad Free Member

l'd rather see Phil X do a demo as to see Bon Jovi, and whoever else he's dragging along. Phil X is cool, Bon Jovi not so much.

10. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

id pay more not to see Sambora and to see Phil X.

11. surfoverb

surfoverb Doctor of Teleocity

phil x isnt some random person. Big difference. I saw Robert Plant and Brian Setzer sat in for his guitarist, it was great!

12. allen082

allen082 Friend of Leo's

I'm heading to the Dallas show tonight. Actually pretty excited about Phil.

13. goldtopper

goldtopper Friend of Leo's

Well, my wife did go and she freaked watching Phil. She had so much fun. I showed her a few of Phil's demo videos beforehand to get her psyched.

14. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Only on a guitar forum, folks.

I'll take the creator over the master regurgitator every time, even if the band in question is Bon Jovi. :)

15. Uncle Joe

Uncle Joe Friend of Leo's

A few years ago I took my wife to see Southside Johnny and the Asbury Jukes at BB King's in Times Square. To this day she claims it's the best show I've ever taken her to. Thus the difference in our taste in music. John Lyon was great in 1977, but since my wife, a Jersey girl, is younger than me she missed that era of Jersey R&B. Still good stuff though.

Anyway, John's guitarist that night was Bobby Bandiera, a long-time Jersey shore guitarist. The Jukes were also breaking in a new guitarist. He was a kid, learning the tunes from Bobby on the fly. They were leaving for Amsterdam the next night. They played for hours. They even repeated a few numbers. Fun show. My wife never stopped dancing. Bandiera wasn't making the trip to the EU. He had a gig with the Bon Jovi tour coming up.

Bandiera: "If it's not one ******* (sphincter-boy) named John it's another."

I hope your wife's not too worried about who's playing guitar for Bon Jovi. She'll enjoy it.

16. william tele

william tele Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Hey, I just heard Phil X is touring and got Bon Jovi to sing for him! Cool!

17. Capel

Capel Tele-Holic

Gold!!!

18. trev333

trev333 Telefied Ad Free Member

I went to see Elvis Costello at the Roundhouse late '70's.... before he started, he explained how his bass player had cut his hand in a backstage knife fight the night before and wouldn't be playing...
    instead... I've got Nick Lowe to stand in on bass.....

He did all of his current EC songs... then did a few of Nick's songs... then spotted Graham Parker in the crowd and invited him up on stage to play a few Rumour songs....

it was a cheap ticket that night.... but, I got a stack of value.... a special show...:)

19. tele salivas

tele salivas Poster Extraordinaire

Forget Sambora, the quitter. Phil X will provide the heat.

20. Drubbing

Drubbing Friend of Leo's

Only a guitarist could post such a thread.

Has your wife told you to shut up and let her go see Jon BJ already?

Most people wouldn't care if Sambora's stuff was on a backing track.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.