A/B switch for a Deluxe Reverb (DRRI)

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by Jason R., Jul 18, 2009.

1. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

I just ordered an A/B switch from www.loop-master.com . Looks like great products built like military components.

I prefer to run my signal through the Normal channel via my effects pedals because I am better at dialing in my tone on that side. However, by doing that, I don't get the use of the Reverb or Vibrato. I would like the option of being able to switch over to that side if a song called for it.

Anyone here ever rigged up their DRRI or other amp that way?

Anybody else have good luck with Loop-Master?

Thanks.

2. PeterUK

PeterUK Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I use a Radial Switchbone and love it.

Channel A is my Normal, B is the Vibrato but I love the two channels together.

Did you order the AB or AB/Y?

:D Peter

3. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

I got the AB because I didn't think I would have reason to use both at the same time. Your comment has me thinking about it now.

Is the signal strength cut in half by using the Y?

4. PeterUK

No, not using the Switchbone.

If you've got the chance, go for the AB/Y option as this will give you a third tone option and the chance to add another amp and play them together.

I did this at one gig when there was a very nice AC30 on stage belonging to the another band. I had a word with the owner and asked if if I could AB/Y his amp and he was cool about it.

With my DRRI on one side of the stage (playing through the Vibrato channel) and his AC30 on the other I got an amazing tone when playing through both.

All I need now is an AC30! :lol:

Go for the AB/Y if you can and it becomes a much more useful tool, even if you're not keen on both channels.

:D Peter

5. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

phase

aren't the two ch.s of a DRRI out of phase?
    how do you deal with that when using both ch.s?

6. PeterUK

The Switchbone.....

Does this answer your question?

:) Peter

7. Martin R

Martin R Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I have an A/B for my '65 Deluxe. The Normal channel is for leads and set a little higher with the tones are dimed. Nice boost for solos especially when using the compressor pedal.

Martin
    E. Christina Herr & Wild Frontier

8. BluesOwl

BluesOwl Tele-Holic

yup

thanx PeterUK

9. vjf1968

vjf1968 Poster Extraordinaire

The Switchbone sells for $260.00 which is fine becuase it is a well made product but there is a cheaper and smaller option and that's the Barber Launch Pad wich sells for about $140.00 and can function as a clean boost, and an DI.

http://www.proguitarshop.com/product.php?ProductID=724

10. PeterUK

Radial also does a cheaper version...

The Bones™ Twin-City ABY amp switcher:

[​IMG]

http://www.tonebone.com/bones-twincity.htm

Suggested retail is $200 but I've seen them for $150-ish.

Big advantage with this pedal is that it uses 12v power versus the PIA 15v which the Switchbone uses.

The Bones™ Twin-City ABY amp switcher seems to feature all the AB/Y benefits of the Switchbone without the boost and the expense.

11. marshman

marshman Poster Extraordinaire

I don't know much about pedals, so I'm gonna ask an off-topic question real quick like...

How is 12v any better than 15v? Don't you still need a seperate power supply from the one that feeds your regular pedals?

12. PeterUK

Not sure I understand the "any better" statement, but the Switchbone uses a 15v power supply which very few power supplies on the market provide, therefore you need an additional power supply JUST for that ONE pedal.

The smaller Radial pedal uses 12v which many of the power supply manufacturers include as a standard feed together with the common 9v supply.

Fortunately Burkey do a modification on their Flatliner range but it is rather wallet denting.

Hope this helps.

13. Bandera

Bandera TDPRI Member

I have a DRRI and a loop-master A/B Y switch. I love using both channels but.....
    My DRRI was modded by Ben Fargen and now the channel switching is really amazing. He linked the Normal Channel to the Vibrato/Reverb so now both channels have vibrato. The tone is now amazing. Both channels have so much more sustain and clarity. Just amazing. The Normal channel sounds excellent now, especially with overdrive/distortion pedals. The bright channel is undescribable. Best money on equipment I ever spent.

14. Jason R.

Jason R. Tele-Holic

I wrote loop-master.com yesterday to see if I could mod my order for an A/B switch to an ABY box. We'll see. Don't know when I would route to both sides of my DRRI or another amp, but a nice capability to have.

As for the Fargen mods, they sound great, but I couldn't figure out from the website how you get your amp to them. Ship it? And what was the name of your mod, Bandera?

15. Bandera

Bandera TDPRI Member

Fargen

If you want Ben's address and contact info let me know. I had the Velvet Super Sustain and the Newcastle Mod for the Normal Channel. It is amazing. Now you will lose a tiny bit of clean headroom. At least i did. But I have never heard an amp that sounds better IMHO. I am sending him my 59 Bassman next. If you get on EBay he has his mods on there with more info. Just PM me if you need any more info. btw sorry it took so long to see your post. Thanks

16. JDaveG

JDaveG Tele-Meister

My Oldfield is wired that way. I like it. You can still have that rawer sound in the normal channel and wet it up with trem if you like.

17. xstrada

xstrada TDPRI Member

Is there signal loss using an aby box in an amp like deluxe reverb?
    Does the aby box have to have a buffer or is it not necessary?

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.