1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

A/B Hell

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by teleblueman, Dec 27, 2015.

1. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

O.K., I'm just going to throw this out there... Say you go into a guitar "mega center" & spy the model Telecaster you have been looking for. You pick it up & try it out. It's featherweightt, resonates well without being plugged in (if that means anything). Beautiful finish, Plugged in, it has a great woody tone, etc. And then,
    the sales-person says they have another identical model to try as well. So I do.
    Now this guitar's finish is subjectively not as "perfect" as the first I tried. It's also about a half pound heavier, the tone is good, but slightly less "woody" . However,
    The neck is a fair bit chunkier than the other guitar and immediately feels more comfortable than the first.Action, pickup height on both guitars are the same.
    Anyway, while A/B ing both guitars with an intention to buy, about an hour and a half had passed and the sales-persons were looking at their watches, wanting to close the store.
    I left wondering what had happened as I got so caught up in the slight differences and details between two identical models of the same Tele.

So, my question is, when you are considering purchasing a Tele., what is most important to you? Finish & weight? or is it all about the feel of the neck?

2. bparnell57

bparnell57 Poster Extraordinaire

You could ask them to swap the necks on them... I mean the general manager may be open to it.

3. burntfrijoles

burntfrijoles Poster Extraordinaire

The neck is awful important since your hand and fingers are always on it. How much better did the chunkier neck feel to you.
    It's all important: finish, weight, aesthetics, tone but a guitar has to feel comfortable when you hold it in your hand.

4. Tony Done

Tony Done Friend of Leo's

Necks don't bother me within reasonable limits*, so I would go on weight and plugged-in tone. - Though judging tone has all kinds of pitfalls - string age, pickup height etc.

* And set up can have a huge effect on feel.

5. xFallenx

xFallenx Friend of Leo's

Go with your gut. If you don't you'll probably wind up regretting your choice later. I have to like feel and look of a guitar.

6. orangedrop

orangedrop Friend of Leo's

Feel of the neck and as long as the guitar has an acoustically live quality that translates to it not being dead when amplified, who cares what it looks like?

It's going to get knocks during a life of being played, so as my father used to say, "Once your ride has been graced by the "Golden Can Opener", you'll finally be able to enjoy driving it!".

7. OlRedNeckHippy

OlRedNeckHippy Friend of Leo's

For me, feel is everything. Tone can be affected by so many things, especially setup. Pickups can be swapped out or adjusted to change tone, but the overall feel of a guitar can't.

8. flyswatter

flyswatter Friend of Leo's

My guess is that neither of those Teles was quite your dream guitar. My experience, and I hear so many say the same, is that there's an indescribable something special about the "right" guitar when you find it. It just sits in your lap and wants to stay there, and no other guitars in the store grab you in quite the same way.

9. teleblueman

teleblueman Tele-Meister

Yes, this is something I may ask about since it's all about the sale right? And a chunky neck on a guitar barely over 6 lbs with a fantastic finish is my dream guitar. However, I don't know the variences of Tele neck weights and swapping them may find me with a guitar that has dreaded "neck dive".
    Can you tell I have obsessive compulsive disorder?

10. filmtex

filmtex TDPRI Member

Yep.

11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I'll go for the guitar with the good neck every time. It's number one on my list of what's most important.

12. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'd ask for a big discount, because the guitar is good, but....

When the manager says NO, say, well, how about swapping necks, since that'd make it perfect...

Or ask if you can take them both with you into the bathroom for a minute. "You don't happen to have a screwdriver do you?"

13. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

I'll go with Flyswatter and say -- walk and take neither.

I'd be skeptical of the shop doing a neck swap. I mean, for starters, doesn't that void the warranty (I'm assuming these are new). And secondly, doesn't it then become a partscaster? I mean, if I had a 201X Fender body and I bought a separate 201X neck to put on it (from the same model), wouldn't I be perpetuating a fraud by selling it as a 'stock' unit? And while you might not mind what about the poor schmuck who gets the other mis-matched unit?

14. moosie

moosie Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I was kidding about the bathroom.

Seriously, I wasn't that concerned with the other "poor schmuck", because maybe that's the perfect guitar for them.

As to it being a partscaster, well, where's the line? Somewhere in the Fender factory, I guess. I mean, when they make that body, and that neck, it's not paired to it's mate. It's only toward the very end, they pull one of each from the rack, and screw 'em together. I don't disagree, I'm just thinking out loud here.

As to perpetuating a fraud, this is probably the case. That's a showstopper for me.

15. teletimetx

teletimetx Doctor of Teleocity

Depending on the store policy (return for full refund within "x" days), you take them both home and return the one you don't like after full trial, but within the time allotted.

Or you buy them both.

What?

16. mimmo

mimmo Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

^^^^^
    This. If you don't feel the guitar, you will never play it after the honeymoon.

17. Jupiter

Jupiter Telefied Ad Free Member

If neither one speaks to you strongly over the other, just let 'em both go; there's a skabillion teles out there.

18. Telepi

Telepi Friend of Leo's

Maybe the chunkier neck on the second one adds the extra weight and affects the tone? Sounds like you came close to finding a tele that day. But in the end, neither one came home. Keep on hunting. That's the most fun anyway. :lol:

19. brogh

brogh Moderator Staff Member

Admin Post
    I would go for the neck because it's the part that you'll have your hand on the the most.

but,

if this is a possibility I would go with it, take them both home test them thoroughly and then decide, maybe something else comes up with a deep testing in the tranquility of your home.

cheers

20. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Chelsea Guitars in NYC had a '57 and a '59 Tele for $1400 each in the early '90s, and as I drooled over them I noted that I liked the '57 neck and the '59 body better, so Dan offered to swap them out.
    Sadly I couldn't come up with the $1400 before they sold.

So, you found not one but two really good Teles in the same store?
    I haven't seen a single guitar I want in any store in years, must be something wrong with me, or I'm spoiled.

Overall the neck is a little more important to me than the body, unplugged resonance is not preferred, and the finish is way down on the list.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.