A 51’ Nocaster And I Were Meant To Be Together At Some Point

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by rad1, Apr 9, 2019.

1. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

Yes it is true, the famous Fender guitar was meant to be with me after all we were born the same year 20 miles apart. Ya, I know, ya don’t haveta say it, I’m old.

Anyway, two problems stand in the way of a union that must be fulfilled. First, I can’t afford a 51’ Nocaster, I’m retired on a nice but modest pension. Second, I’ve purchased to many guitars in the last few months, I even have a new guitar showing up today when FedEx gets here.

The solution, a custom shop reissue. Yup, that’s the answer but it will have to wait a bit.

Stock shot of one pulled off Reverb

B9044677-6E21-4CD0-A143-4F708EF49A34.jpeg

What the heck, here is a shot of what is showing up today

8D19E99E-EBCD-4CF7-B1FB-CF597B21EF9B.jpeg

teletimetx, Ezee, DaveTone and 9 others like this.
  2. rze99

rze99 Poster Extraordinaire

Best wishes with your quest!

3. fender4life

fender4life Friend of Leo's

Make sure u play one if first you ever do decide u can afford it. That is, unless you are sure you like the biggest necks out there because it's huge. I can't play a neck that big and i have big hands. Obviously some can, but be sure you know that b4 you order one. It's about as big a neck as i have ever seen on a fender. By the way, good choice with the eastman. Never play that model but i don't have to....eastmans never fail to impress.

rad1 likes this.
  4. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

OMG, you’re a buzz kill. The nerve to bring reality into my current fantasy. Guess I better try one first.

By the way that Eastman showed up, T486B with Seymour Duncan Phat Cat pick ups, their P90’s. I have never been a fan of Chinese guitars but I bought into the whole hand made hype. I just unboxed it and played it, absolutely stunning workmanship with a tone to match. I love my two Fenders, Tele and Strat but I have been searching for the right 335 style thin line. I have been through a few, the most recent, Gibson 335, just horrible workmanship and a neck I hated and a couple Gretschs. The Korean Gretschs had spectacular workmanship and had wonderful necks but had a bit to much twang for what I wanted the thin line for. I have a hollowbody Gretsch that fills that twang need for me.

Mincer likes this.
  5. orangeblossom

orangeblossom Friend of Leo's

I sold my nocaster the neck was a tad too much. Love my 2012 52ri. I have a Eastman mandolin I love. They make great instruments imho. That is a beauty you there. Congrats

rad1 likes this.
  6. whoanelly15

whoanelly15 Tele-Holic

That Nocaster is beautiful. And so are you. Buy it.

rad1 likes this.
  7. fender4life

The chinese make absolutley great guitars from the sadly now defunct squier CV line to the eastmans, there are many that should never be looked at as anything but quality instruments. I have a eastman acoustic that honestly beats every gibson martin and larrivee i have owned in recent years at 1/2 to 1/3 the price. Also handmade like yours. But even thier inexpensive production line models get big raves.

rad1 likes this.
  8. Bigpernz

Bigpernz Tele-Meister

Cool Eastman! I recently acquired an Eastman acoustic that is a great guitar and not just "for the money". I've played 3 Eastman acoustics recently since purchasing mine. 1 was ok, not great. The other 2 were flat out awesome! If I'm ever in the market for a thinline, one of the Eastmans will definitely be on my list.

rad1 likes this.
  9. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

Eastman's are awesome guitars. Congrats on that!

I have one Eastman, an OM solid-wood, all-flame-mahogany.
    [​IMG]

10. fancychords

fancychords Tele-Holic

I have no idea what people are talking about with the nocaster neck. I have small hands and the neck is just fine. I remember people saying that the 52 reissue Tele had a neck that was too big and I thought they must be joking. I wish all my Fender’s had the nocaster neck. I have a 56 Avri strat and a 65 reissue.

gitarjoe, heffus and rad1 like this.
  11. EllenGtrGrl

EllenGtrGrl Tele-Holic

Good Luck in getting a 'Nocaster Reissue. I loved the one I played about 4 years ago, but the the price - ouch!!

rad1 likes this.
  12. brookdalebill

brookdalebill Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

Blondes are more fun!

rad1 likes this.
  13. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

My new blond’s back side

34F60225-F6EE-4240-889B-4C714A41C158.jpeg

teletimetx, tce63, d barham and 5 others like this.
  14. DHart

DHart Friend of Leo's

What a gorgeous instrument - WOW. Eastman strikes again with a stunning offering.

15. Hari Seldon

Hari Seldon TDPRI Member

Eastman guitars are great instruments - congrats to yours.

But I would say these are not "chinese guitars". They are american style guitars made with the great craftsmanship of trained and experienced chinese workers. My two eastman guitars are almost boutique level. A totally different story from "chinese guitars".

The 51s necks are not too big. I was not used to it when I got mine, but after a while I felt the neck was absolutely as it should be. Tone? A dream.

rad1 likes this.
  16. Kinamrok

Kinamrok TDPRI Member

I’m with fender4life and orangeblossom — the Nocaster neck is way too fat for my preference. I was fortunate to play an original Nocaster one afternoon several years ago, it had been acquired by a guitar-buddy who had more money than he knew what to do with. He had extraordinaryly long fingers, he was a very fine player, and he said it took him quite awhile to adjust to the neck’s diameter. He said he still struggled playing it vs. other Tele’s. BUT . . . the sound, through a vintage Marshall Bluesbreaker, was like none I’ve ever heard! I guess that’s part of the Nocaster legend though, right?

rad1 likes this.
  17. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

You really have no taste in (quality) guitars then.

18. fender4life

No, it;s just that you have no ability to see thru the propoganda. You are probably one of those that believe the more $ the better the guitar in every case. Good for you. Hope u r rich.

19. sonny wolf

sonny wolf Friend of Leo's

You know you need a 51 Nocaster in your collection...hurry!!

rad1 likes this.
  20. rad1

rad1 Tele-Afflicted

I have played for many years and had to shed many guitar misconceptions and biases. My first, selling a spectacular Japanese Ibanez AS100 in the early eighties and buying an American strat because that Japanese guitar could not possibly be as good as an American Strat.....What an idiot I was. Those early Ibanez 335 copies were absolutely outstanding guitars and my early 80’s Strat was pretty ho hum.

Fast forward to present day, I had a strong bias against Chinese guitars having owned a couple that were not very well made. I had read for a number of years the terrific praises that were made about the Eastman guitars but it took until now before I decided to try one.

Holy cow, this guitar rivals my Pro Line Gretsch I owned and blows my ex Gibson 335 out of the water in every category. Fit, finish, looks, playability, tone...simply stunning workmanship.

Ebony fingerboard, CTS pots, Seymour Duncan Phat Cat pickups, Maple construction, beautifully finished frets and a perfectly fitting quality hard shell case included. All this from a Chinese guitar....I’m a believer.

Hari Seldon and Mincer like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.