9V Power Supply Question.

Discussion in 'The Stomp Box' started by gitlvr, Dec 16, 2017.

1. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

I have a Radio Shack 800 mA wall wart supply. It is universal, ;ie, I can flip the polarity to whatever I see fit, negative or positive tip.
    I know that all of the One Spot type power supplies are basically a wall wart with high mA and a daisy chain cable.
    I think I can, but.... Can I buy a Daisy Chain, hook up to this and use it as a power supply for 4 or 5 pedals?
    I think it is basically the same.
    I'm running a Boss PSM 5 right now, so another question is, could I hook this up to the Boss and increase the ma capability of that pedal/power supply?
    Thanks.

2. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

Yes, you can. My only concern is that some older power supplies may be designed for calculators and telephones, and sometimes these cause noise.
    Remember, the PSM-5 uses up 13 mA itself.

Also, it bears repeating that pedals only use the amount of mA (milliamps) they need. An 800 mA wall art is not going to "pump" more mA than a 100 mA wall wart, and therefore blow up anything. The same is NOT true of *voltage*. Anything higher than 9 volts *is* different, and can damage many pedals, if they aren't designed to handle higher than 9 volts.

3. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Sweet! Thanks. I have the PSM 5 running on a PSA 120T. 200ma. I am running a CryBaby, BD-2, and a DOD Ice Box Chorus with it, no issues. But I'm planning on adding a MojoMojo and and Iron Curtain(gate) to the mix in the next week, and wanted to be sure if I needed more than the 200mA the 120T provides I could use a power supply that would give it whatever it needed.
    I could buy a One Spot or equivalent, but I don't see the point. The PSM-5 is a power supply, but it also has the added benefit of using it as a loop, or as a cut off switch as well. I like those features, even though I run a volume pedal as well.

4. RLee77

RLee77 Friend of Leo's

Yes, you can plug your 800 ma supply into the boss dc in instead of the boss standard adapter. It may have more noise though, if it wasn't intended for audio use. Just try it and see. Careful with switching the polarity though -- some pedals could be damaged or present a dead short to the supply if you reverse their polarity. I'd probably put a piece of tape over that polarity switch.

5. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks, RLee77.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Friend of Leo's

If I remember correctly that unit has same limitations as TU tuners, you can hook up however many ma supply to the unit you want, 800ma, 2000ma One Spot. But do not exceed the 200ma or so that it's original supply provided on the output/pass-thru side or it will overheat and damage the unit.

As far as radio shack jack of all trade power supply. Been there, done that, they are a noisy piece of crap.

Grab you one of these Rocktron for $18, just got one last week, 5 segment daisy chain, 1670ma and a whole slew of pedal adapters. Nice a quiet and has proper polarity.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000A2UJEU/?tag=tdpri-20

Staypuft1652 likes this.
  7. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the advice; if you've been there, done that with RS, I'll gladly take your word for it.
    As for the Rocktron, thanks for the link. If my Boss doesn't hack it, I'll grab that up.

8. 1300 E Valencia

1300 E Valencia Friend of Leo's

The PSM-5 is merely a daisy-chain with an on/off switch. It's not a power supply. It can only supply what's fed to it.

9. gitlvr

gitlvr Friend of Leo's

Thanks. It's working well. I found the original 120T power supply. 500mA. I was running a 120 I have laying around, which is 200 mA. Got them confused.
    Thanks, gentlemen.

10. tubejockey

tubejockey Tele-Holic

Always make sure you check the actual output voltage of a power supply before you plug it in. An unregulated supply may be labelled at 9 volts but actually put out much higher volts at low current draws.
    I stick with regulated and well filtered supplies for audio. You can also add a regulator and filter to an existing supply.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.