'99 MIM Tele value?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Neener, May 19, 2020.

1. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Poster Extraordinaire

I'm partial as I own a similar 2004 MIM Standard Tele, and it is a very good, solid player.

I think $425 is a good ask. Why can't a good import appreciate a little in value? ( are US-made guitars the only ones that get to do this?)

Just bringing this up as new MIM Strats and Teles are $600-700 right?
    Seems like $425 is fair, maybe down to $400.
    It was a value then, and still a value today. Just an opinion.

Neener likes this.
  2. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I was not arguing with you either fine sir, just making a statement. I see the same guitars listed all the time, usually covered in dust, broken strings, chips/chunks missing, rusty hardware. Ridiculous prices. FIRM. Guitar sits listed for weeks, months, years. It’s almost like some “classic car” listings: “I KNOW WHAT I HAVE SO DON’T LOWBALL ME!”

jh

Neener and jfgesquire like this.
  3. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

I’d say your bias for owning one is quite evident. I owned one too and it was a great guitar at a great price. But now I can buy a NEW Player Tele for not really that much more. I’m personally more inclined to pay for new than pay half of what new is for a guitar that never cost that much to begin with.

jh

4. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

“Don’t waste my time” guy ;)

5. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

It's a little high but the seller probably did that anticipating being talked down. Bear in mind it might also be a supply/demand thing; a couple of years ago there were a ton of used stratocasters but not nearly as many telecasters around here. The MIM telecasters were listed at around $100 more than the strats.

Neener likes this.
  6. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

There’s not a shortage of Mexican Telecasters. Never was. I don’t see why anyone would pay almost $500 for a used MIM Standard when a new one is $700.

jh

Neener likes this.
  7. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

US guitars don't appreciate either. Used should cost less than hew, period. Especially if it's a mass produced run of the mill model like a MIM Standard Tele.

Neener and mugen74 like this.
  8. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

For me personally, I won’t pay over $300 for ANY used guitar. I’m not made of money, but once it reaches a certain point, I’m just going to buy a new guitar, not someone’s used guitar. If it’s so great that it’s worth that much to them, why are they selling it? And I’m most certainly not going to pay more for a used guitar than it cost when it was new.

jh

9. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

To an owner, it makes absolutely no difference over the life of ownership. The difference in $325 and $425 is less than a dime a week. That's one McD's solo visit a year...

But to a horse trader, its $100 cash, since he paid $325, and scalping the remainder from you.

10. Slim Chance

Slim Chance Tele-Afflicted

$300 in 1999=$462 in 2020
    $350 in 1999=$539 in 2020

In this discussion, the inflation adjusted numbers are the numbers that matter, not what one paid in 1999 dollars.

It appears that the guitar in question can be purchased for below its original sales price when adjusted for inflation, assuming the numbers quoted above are accurate. Whether the guitar is a good value is another question. Personally, I don’t think a 1999 MIM Telecaster is worth $425 because I believe that there are better values to be had. However, if that year, color or whatever are must haves, than $425 might be acceptable.

Minivan Megafun likes this.
  11. Fenderdad1950

Fenderdad1950 Tele-Holic

Good luck with that:rolleyes:

ChickenKiller likes this.
  12. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

No luck needed as I’d never be looking to buy a twenty year old guitar when I can get a new one at a price that makes more sense.

Also, I don’t know where you live, but that color is as common as dirt around here and they top out below $300.

jh

Colo Springs E likes this.
  13. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Inflation arguments mean nothing to me. The value of your money is all artificial any way. What matters to me is how many of my little slips of paper do you expect me to hand you RIGHT NOW for whatever it is you are trying to sell to me. Just cause it may be worth $475 to you sure doesn’t mean it’s worth that to everyone.

jh

14. Colo Springs E

Colo Springs E Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Three fiddy is the right price.

Neener likes this.
  15. Neener

Neener Tele-Holic

Shall we all agree there is a loose "market" value for guitars? And at the end of the day, what the buyer is willing to pay ends up determining value.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    mugen74 and jfgesquire like this.
  16. Minivan Megafun

Minivan Megafun Tele-Holic

It strongly depends on the market you live in. I'm in a Canadian prairie city of roughly 750,000. The next closest major city is an 8 hour drive away. So small market. Everyone here expects a deal no matter what you're selling or what the going internet rate is. You post a price as "FIRM" and it won't sell. So you have to pad and expect to haggle. As a buyer your options are also limited - you can't just "go find" whatever Silverface amp someone on a message board suggested you get instead of a Blues JR. Also moving anything that actually IS worth some coin is extremely difficult to do locally.

So a MIM for $400 would be a good deal in these parts.

17. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

Wrong. There was a shortage of used ones around here a couple of years ago. Lots of strats, though. The telecasters were listed at quite a bit higher.

18. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

Not sure where “around here” is, but there was and is an abundance of Strats and Teles here where I am in this color and all at less than $300. Because no one wants that wine red color. And it’s always been that way. And again, once you reach a certain price used, you may as well buy new. So there’s never been a shortage on Mex teles. They keep making them every year. Guess it comes down to if you want a used one or a new one.

jh

19. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

20. mugen74

mugen74 Tele-Holic

20 years ago, sure. Now, no way. If you guys wanna pay more than $250-275 for a twenty year old standard, be my guest. You’re paying too much.

jh

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.