'97 USA Lone Star Strat w/ Replaced Neck. Good Deal?

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by JDawg0427, Jun 9, 2020.

1. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

Hi all, I'm looking for an electric guitar to keep in my apartment for college, and I decided I want an HSS Strat. I was originally planning on buying a classic vibe squier or a MIJ squier or fender from the 80's when I stumbled across a black '97 USA Lone Star Stratocaster. According to the seller, everything on the guitar with the exception of the neck and tuners are the original parts (so it has the original texas special pickups and the pearly gates humbucker). The neck is a 2016 Fender American Professional neck and it has Fender locking tuners. I know that the replacement neck likely lowers the value since it is not stock, but I figure it will be more comfortable to me with the jumbo frets anyway. The seller offered it to me for $700 shipped. Is this a good deal, or should I keep searching? Thanks!

2. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

From the listings I've found online that's not a bad price.

If the neck change doesn't bother you, go for it.

3. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

That's a decent deal stock and that neck is an upgrade over the original.

That Cal Webway and DougM like this.
  4. DougM

DougM Poster Extraordinaire

The Am Pro neck has their narrow tall frets, not jumbo. But, as others have said, it's an upgrade from the stock neck, because it has 22 frets instead of 21 and the locking tuners. And, IMO, the narrow tall frets are some of the nicest playing of any fret size.

JDawg0427 likes this.
  5. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

Are the narrow tall the same type as whats on the 2019 American Professional? Similar to the 6105 fret wire? If so that's a win because those are my favorite frets!

6. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

It’s not an upgrade neck, just different. The 97 Lonestar was an upgraded American Standard. It had 22 medium jumbo frets. It was not the later MIM Lonestar, which IMO was not a terrible guitar, but was junk when held side by side with a 90’s MIA Lonestar.

I’d be all over that guitar. The mid 90’s - 00’s MIA standards were some of my favorite strats of all time. It’s a really good era for Fender. If you’re like me and prefer the modern designs, they’re some of the best ever.

The ‘16 Am Pro neck is a very nice neck. A little deeper C than the original, and the edges are nicely rolled, which they were not in 1997. It also has narrow/tall frets instead of medium jumbo. But outside of that it’s not a value loser at all. Great neck, killer guitar. I’d buy it for that price.

Last edited: Jun 11, 2020
  7. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

Alright thanks, I think I'm probably gonna buy it. I figure if I don't end up liking it I probably won't lose any money, and I won't have to upgrade it as is

Jakedog likes this.
  8. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

No, not really an upgrade, and most of the time mods, i.e. "upgrades" do not increase the value of a guitar. What you will have is a partscaster with all Fender parts from different guitars.

Agree, and agree...

Jakedog likes this.
  9. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

Dismalhead likes this.
  10. bendercaster

bendercaster Tele-Afflicted

I have an American Fat Strat Texas Special, which is what Fender renamed the Lonestars when they launched their Hot Rodded American Series.

My band mate recently picked up a 97 Lonestar Strat and it was interesting to compare them. They are nearly identical except that the Candy Apple Red on the Lonestar was a little darker, the Lonstar's neck was a little thinner, and mine has staggered tuners. I've had mine for 18 years and it is a killer guitar. I did a set up on the Lonstar and it was great too.

One thing to look out for is the two point tremolo on these. Both my guitar and the Lonestar had the same issue. The knife edge on the tremolo wears down eventually and ends up forming more of a keyhole shape at the two pivot points, rather than it's original crescent shape. But it doesn't necessarily wear evenly, which can cause tuning instability and intonation issues. Granted, these are 20+ year old tremolos, and it isn't a terribly expensive fix. I finally replaced the bridge on mine and I think it was $80.

Dismalhead likes this.
  11. Dismalhead

Dismalhead Poster Extraordinaire

I have the same guitar, a '96 Lonestar. Mine's stock though.

As a player, if the guy is telling the truth about where he got the neck, it should be a very nice guitar. Technically though as far as used value - it's a partscaster. I'd tell him that and try to get him to lower the price a bit.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Telefied Ad Free Member

He can try I guess. A new MIA HSS Strat is $1450.

I think a used one in good shape with an Am Pro neck is real fair at $700. But that’s just me.

13. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Your opinion.

14. JDawg0427

JDawg0427 TDPRI Member

I bought it! I’ll post pics when it gets here!

Jakedog and Seasicksailor like this.
  15. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

I'd say fact - it's a lateral move to an equivalent-level neck. It's only an "upgrade" if you like the American Professional neck better than the American Standard neck.

Personally I prefer the 2008-2016 American Standard necks, and I really hate the American Professional neck so it's a downgrade for my personal tastes. But still a lateral move to the newer neck shape.

davidwhitson likes this.
  16. Lonn

Lonn Friend of Leo's

Again, opinions. We've all got them. :cool:

17. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

So better than the original.

18. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Tele-Afflicted

Correct...

19. JDRNoPro

JDRNoPro Friend of Leo's

I have a 96 Lonestar and the original neck is quite thin IMO and I think the new neck would be better. Nonetheless, the comment about it now being a "partscaster" has some merit in terms of value.

20. fenderrookie

fenderrookie A fan of Leo! Gold Supporter

I see the neck as an upgrade......

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.