1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'97 American Standard Poly Neck Finish Problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by mwittoesch, Jan 26, 2008.

1. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

I have a '97 American Std, tele with a maple neck that I purchased new. Over the past few years, the poly finish has been chipping off the fret board. Now, it's getting pretty bad. From what I have heard, this is a known problem for that vintage. I doubt Fender would do anything to help after so many years. Anyway, seeing this is my very first (and favorite) tele, I want to refinish neck. How hard will it be to completely strip off the original finish? and.........assuming it is possible, should I refinish with poly or nitro. Thanks!

2. Robert(og)

Robert(og) Tele-Meister

i used to live in DAYTON!!!
    do you know tom at hauer music in downtown?
    anywho, stripping poly is a pain becuz it can often times be really thick and unforgiving.
    it may be a better idea to sand off the finish on the fretboard and then spray nitro just on the fretboard. but remember to let it cure for a good 3 weeks or so, sometimes it seems like a good coat count of lacquer if more durable than poly.
    if you do indeed know tom, have him direct you to the resident tech, i forget who it is but they had a guy there a while back that they sent most of the stuff to(outsource wise) and he was really crafty but took a long time.

3. mellecaster

mellecaster Former Member

Well yes, you are correct..it is a known problem w/ those years, at least to me it is....I quit buying anything from E-bay w/ a Maple neck from that era....the easiest way I know, is to use a single edge razor blade, as is...Don't form a hook on the edge (it removes too much wood)...just use them straight from the box..you will need 2 or 3...and just scrape off the finish in between the Frets carefully....and don't slice yourself up....and refinish w/ a Wipe on Poly or Tru-Oil...or finish of your choice.

4. skinny ted

skinny ted TDPRI Member

i had the same thing happen on a 96' strat. i ended up scrapping the rest of it off, but never refinshed it. i fell in love with the feel of an unfinished neck..so it became kinda of a blessing in disguise
    tru-oil is what i would go for if you wanna give it a real nice finish

5. mwittoesch

mwittoesch TDPRI Member

Thanks all.

Looks like I'm going to be busy with a razor blade for the forseeable future.

6. martino

martino Tele-Holic

Wow now your making me wonder what does fender do if someone
    has a bad neck? do they just replace it . . . what about the serial #?
    why would fender not fix it?
    then I read the fender website:confused:

The following items are not covered by this warranty.
    1. Fret wear, saddle wear, nut wear, strings and batteries.
    2. Setups, adjustments or routine maintenance of any kind.
    3. Damage to finishes or cracks, splitting, or warpage of wood due to changes in
    temperature or humidity, exposure to or contact with sun, fire, moisture, body
    salts and acids of perspiration, guitar straps, guitar stands/hangers made from
    vinyl, plastic, rubber or other synthetic materials, any other chemicals or non-
    Fender-approved polishes.

Get out your blade :twisted:

this might help you

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.