1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'94 MIM vs New GC Classic Vibe

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Mr. Scary, Aug 19, 2013.

1. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I know there's quite a following for both models. Excluding both playing relatively the same i.e. feel wise, which do you guys think is a better deal price and quality wise. Couldn't hook up with the CL guys last Friday, but, he'll be available again this Friday to lay hands/eyes on the '94. Here's the choices. Also, If i remember correctly the GC CV is on a manager's special for $339, will check that again today and post edit. I think it's double bound as well, looks sharp! Lastly, I offered the CL Tele guy $175.

Thanks for any replies!:D

1. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Squier-...-Custom-Electric-Guitar-105788038-i1502379.gc

2. http://phoenix.craigslist.org/nph/msg/4005107456.html

2. Chris H.

Chris H. Tele-Afflicted

I'd go for the CVC, a far superior guitar than the Squier series.

3. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Thanks Chris H.
    Were the Fender Tele MIM 'Squire Series', greatly different than a standard MIM non Squire Series? If so, how?
    thanks again for the replies.

4. backporchmusic

backporchmusic Friend of Leo's

I think those MIM 'Squier series' were essentially assembled from leftover US parts down in Mexico before they got their own manufacturing up and running? Supposed to be great guitars, and likely one of the few Squiers that is better than the CV series.

Maybe someone can correct me if I m wrong.

5. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I have a '94 Squier Series Tele just like that one. I bought a CV50s tele at Guitar Center shortly after I got it and promptly sold the CV50s. It was a great guitar, but it wasn't better than my SS.

The SS is a toploader, just so you know.

6. Kennedycaster

Kennedycaster Tele-Afflicted

The Squier series guitars had cheap asian hardware & electrics. Definitely wouldn't pay $225 for one. $100 is fair though. They generally have good necks. I'd go with the classic vibe.

Bob

7. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

I thought i read somewhere here that these two guitars are different:::

Fender Telecaster MIM 'Squire Series'

and

Squire Telecaster
    by Fender

Yes? No? Differences if there are any?

8. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Wow, some good info and opinions. Thanks for the responses guys!

Interesting Commodore, you have/have had both guitars i'm looking at! That's cool!
    I guess i gotta go play the CV again, and take a better look at the actual hardware on the guitar, prior to this Friday anyway.

Either one of these are just a get my feet wet bandaid, till probably Christmas. Santa better be leavin' me a USA Standard in Butterscotch! LOL!!!!

9. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Commodore,
    didn't catch the top loader dealio, tyty.
    is that gonna make a big sound difference one way or the other?

10. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

@Kennedy-AZ shout out Bro!! :)

11. Commodore 64

Commodore 64 Friend of Leo's

I don't think it makes any difference in tone. It does make 10s feel more like 9s on the string size. I also have a 2010 MiM tele. I play them both interchangeably, as the necks are very similar with one exception: The frets on the '94 seem to be more on the medium side whereas the frets on the newer one seem to be more on the medium jumbo size.

I traded for my '94 and I traded well over street value $300 worth of stuff. I didn't even know what a Squier Series tele was, I just wanted a tele. I don't regret the trade one bit, as the '94 is my primary guitar.

The previous owner had already replaced the tuners with some Grovers. I dropped a wilkinson compensated bridge on there. After I got my newer MiM with the 8 saddles, I wish I had kept the original bridge. I like to rest my hand on the bridge and the 6 saddles are a bit more comfortable and easier to mute strings (for me, anyways).

The '94 will have a very decent set of AlNiCo pickups in it, mine did. I've got D. Allen Cheetahs in there now (and BL Keystones in the '10) and also replaced the pots and switch (4-way).

12. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Well, like i said Santa better do his thing! I'm looking for a possible Mod platform guitar in the interim or something that'll be a nice backup,,,,,,,,,actually,,,,,,,,,,,i'll be honest,,I got mega Tele GAS so bad I can't think straight!!!!(with a minimal budget at the moment, LMAO!!!!)

Interesting observation though about the 10s felling like 9s on a string through....??...

Do the smaller Frets make bending easier? I also like to do a fair amount of hand muting as well. Another thing i'll have to revisit while playing the 2 different models.

13. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

:eek:

I wanna SEE this guitar!!

:D

14. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

I think the range of possible playability and usefulness of some '94 is far greater than you'll find on the new CVC. All of which CVCs should be ready players.

What you buy depends on whether the guy will actually take $ 175 and whether this '94 seems real nice or not so nice. I think a quick spin with the '94 will make the decision evident.

15. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

The Squier CVC will always be a Squier, and the Fender Squier series will always be a Fender, yes they're Fenders not Squiers, and for the money I'd take the Fender every time.

16. telequacktastic

telequacktastic Tele-Afflicted

I'd go with the MIM. Not everyone has one and I'd buy it.

17. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Well here's the scoop, so far. Called my GM buddy at GC. Can't get the trade some gear in and get a discount of 10% off any new purchase. Bummer, had a pedal or two i could let go of. no bother. The CVC is normally $399, manager special is $319+tax in august. problem is the sale price is only for 'in store' stock/merchandise. was partial to the Blonde/Butterscotch's. will have to save that for santa and the American Standard this Christmas. They had my second choice in stock, which happened to be the last freakin' one!!!!!

Home Boy gave me a great dealio. can't really advertise the price,,,,but,,,pm me and i'll get you close. needless to say, it was close to if not their cost!!!

Stopped by and played the CVC through a VOX AC30 for about 90 mins today! WHOA!!!
    Put it on layaway pending the test drive of the '94 MIM this Friday!!!!!!!!!

Pickin' up the CVC tomorrow after new strings. will play it till friday then decide what it'll be. MIM or CVC. I will say the double binding really looks nice.

Giddy as a school girl!!!!!!! NGD comin' to my neighborhood,,,,finally! One way or the other,,,,MUAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

More tomorrow, gonna go prep and fiddle in the studio!!!!:D:D

[​IMG]

18. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

BTW, i truly appreciate the info and opinions on this thread!!!
    This place, the people, and the wealth of knowledge around here,,,,well,,,,,is staggering!!!!! ;)

G

19. Mr. Scary

Mr. Scary Tele-Meister

Grace is gettin' a step sister,,,,either way! :D

[​IMG]

she's actually swamp ash and purple. Grace the Grape,,,,she'll squash ya! She looks waaaaaaaayy better in person,,,n,,,,in my arms!!!

[​IMG]

heeheehee

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.