920D caught selling fake PIO caps

teleben

TDPRI Member
Hope posting from TGP isn't against the rules here. I'm not on TDPRI much but thought it was worth spreading the word on this issue:

BorderRadio

Doctor of Teleocity
PIOgate!

I read this on another forum, no TGP for me though. Basically, owner got caught selling fake PIOs and said it was partly a supply chain issue, now it’s Jimmy Darrs fault and his fault alone. Pics of shrink wrapped polyester caps (not my photo):

C547D6EC-B0C2-4958-AE75-62037F2436F3.png

Kinda can’t feel sorry for folks who spend 28 bucks for a cap. But it’s the principle!

TomBrokaw

Tele-Holic
Hoo boy! I don't have the time or inclination to read more than a couple pages, but the schadenfreude is delicious. Put them on my list of "will never do business with" although to be fair they were already there by default due to cost.

While I don't condone the fraud he perpetuated, I kind of understand it. If he had done the right thing and said "we don't have those, we can sell you this other cap that sounds very good" and the buyer thinks "gosh, this non-PIO cap sounds just fine/great/as good as PIO", he might have damaged his market for PIO caps going forward.

Very telling to me that it took the literal disassembly of one of these to be able to tell the difference. How many had they sold prior to this and no one knew the difference! So to summarize, I have two takeaways from this:
1. Don't do business with 920D
2. Don't pay any premium at all for PIO caps in your guitar controls

Edit: Read through the thread and the two people at 920D did not, in my opinion, handle this well at all. See takeaway #1 above.

Last edited:

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
This has been a thing for at least 20 years. Several respected vendors have been unknowingly burned by it, and a few have willfully engaged in subterfuge (fraud, actually--per FTC regulations).

@W.L.Weller "It's nice work if you can get it."

Dang skippy. I'll be on my yacht if you guys need anything.

Peegoo-Bumblebee-Cap-Suckers.jpg

Last edited:

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
Fraud.
If you've ever bought anything from 920D I'd be taking a closer look. This deception is no accident and took a little work, had to print shrink wrap and all that. I doubt this is a one time thing.
My personal opinion is a cap is a cap is a cap. The ones I use cost cents, not dollars. That said, a customer should get what they paid for. Over priced or not.

RogerC

Poster Extraordinaire
This has been a thing for at least 20 years. Several respected vendors have been unknowingly burned by it, and a few have willfully engaged in subterfuge (fraud, actually--per FTC regulations).
Mind sharing details? I don't have a dog in this fight at all since I've never even heard of the company before, but claims like that really need substantiation.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
Mind sharing details? I don't have a dog in this fight at all since I've never even heard of the company before, but claims like that really need substantiation.

I'm not going to name specific vendors because I'm sure the list will be incomplete and that is not fair to those sellers that made good with their customers.

But for context, here's a discussion from 10 years ago on our sister site My Les Paul:

teleben

TDPRI Member

Not sure if this is what Peegoo was talking about, but here's an example that was long known even when this was posted in 2010:

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
For $30 per, I'll sit and roll up whatever papers, oils, foils, dielectrics...you want.

Bumblebee? Yellow Jacket? Murder Hornet? Sure thing, sirs. There's an 8 week waiting list.

Looks like I need zinc foil? I already have the kraft paper and mineral oil.

Powdog

Tele-Holic
The owner of 920D has posted a few responses over on TGP, with excuses about supply chains and bad decisions but has fallen way short of apologizing for defrauding his customers, ripping them off and outright lying. Really inexcusable behavior. A POS for actively making and selling fake PIOs.

Peegoo

Doctor of Teleocity
Ad Free Member
The owner of 920D has posted a few responses over on TGP, with excuses about supply chains and bad decisions but has fallen way short of apologizing for defrauding his customers, ripping them off and outright lying.

The real proof of his insincerity is the total lack of any notice posted to the company Website.

If it was a truly 'honest' (whatever that means) mistake brought on by layoffs, plagues, and locusts of Biblical proportion, they would post a very prominent notice on their Website to make all customers aware...not just those geeks like us that lurk in guitar message boards.

W.L.Weller

Tele-Afflicted
Silver Supporter
Real talk, how hard is it to wind your own caps? Is this within the purview of a hobbyist, or do I need a $750k machine? Because if I can get started with one of those Chinese "Minila Thes" and some zinc foil, then look out, I'm selling "real" $30 tone caps all day. (Real in the sense that I'll make them out of zinc and paper and oil, instead of writing PIO on some shrink wrap. Not real in the sense of "really worth $30" (apart from the fact that you'd be buying a genuine Made In America Toan cap and supporting a genuine Made In America small business))

The only downside I see is that the actual capacitors I'm going to be capable of making are going to have way, way worse QC that the fake real polyester ones. Maybe that's going to be part of my marketing, do you want a "Soft" 22nF (measures 15) or a "Hard" 47nF (measures 75). That might be the other hurdle for me, convincing myself to put the hard sell on a product/concept I don't actually believe in. On the other hand, people do a lot worse in the name of Mammon every day...

I'm talking myself into this right now.

Danb541

Friend of Leo's
The real proof of his insincerity is the total lack of any notice posted to the company Website.

If it was a truly 'honest' (whatever that means) mistake brought on by layoffs, plagues, and locusts of Biblical proportion, they would post a very prominent notice on their Website to make all customers aware...not just those geeks like us that lurk in guitar message boards.

They have this up now. Still not good enough though.