90's telecasters

Discussion in 'Welcome Wagon' started by Fergie, Jun 3, 2020.

1. Fergie

Fergie NEW MEMBER!

In general how do people feel about 90's teles?

2. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

Generally, OK. Which ones?

3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

MIJs are a mix. The cheaper end toploaders are one step up from Squiers of the time and the RIs were about the same as modern MiMs but with cheaper electronics and of course replacement US parts don’t always fit. The hardware can be a bit cheaper too.

US models were high quality as far as I know, but I hear some Fenders from that time suffered from brittle poly and chipping on the neck. But if it’s survived this long it’s likely not an issue.

I’d pick US/MiM from the last 20 years unless it was a special model of which I couldn’t get a more modern equivalent.

KW1977 likes this.
  4. unixfish

unixfish Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

Matthias likes this.
  5. naveed211

naveed211 Tele-Holic

Overall good quality just like more recent ones.

I like shopping for 90s guitars these days. After over 20 years, they’re typically nice and worn in feeling, usually without being totally thrashed or needing work done. I like 80s and 70s vintage too, but those are more a toss up how they’re going to be.

6. Rustbucket

Rustbucket Poster Extraordinaire

I can’t speak to 90’s Fenders, but I am extremely pleased with both the price point and quality of the 90’s G&L ASAT I picked up last year.

KW1977 likes this.
  7. Stringbanger

Stringbanger Telefied Ad Free Member

Welcome to the fold!

SB

8. jvin248

jvin248 Poster Extraordinaire

You must have one in mind? Show some pictures.

Most everything can be swapped/upgraded on Teles so as long as you like the chassis you can go a lot of different ways.

I avoid MIJs as you might as well get a modern MIM. Some believe in vintage/old-guitar 'mojo' but all of that is wrapped around a good setup guy did great work at one point -- which you can buy any modern guitar and find a great guitar tech to fix it up to custom shop level of playability.

9. FrankJames

FrankJames Poster Extraordinaire

Welcome to the forum !!

10. Heartfielder

Heartfielder TDPRI Member

The Japanese HMTs are excellent. Love em.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I might be in the minority but I always much preferred the 80’s and 90’s MIJ stuff to anything MIM that came after. I’ve always thought the quality took a serious nosedive when the reissues and standards went MIM. I never had a MIJ reissue or standard that needed a fret level right out of the box just to set up correctly. I’ve never found an MIM that didn’t.

It’s true that the MIM stuff has pretty much always utilized higher quality pots, switches, etc. But I think the stock MIJ pickups sounded better, and I think the overall build quality was superior.

90’s MIA stuff was great! For my money, the 95-99 Am Std guitars, both strats and Teles, were some of the best bone stock guitars ever produced. Consistency was off the charts. Really hard to find a dog. The early 90’s were good too, but starting in 95 they went back to much more vintage correct body shapes and edge radii. I’m not a stickler for vintage anything generally, but in this case it did make for a more comfortable and better looking body.

My favorite AV52RI was a ‘96. Light as a feather and rang like a bell.

12. milopera

milopera TDPRI Member

I had a CIJ '69 RI Tele from the early 90's. The fret ends were sharp, it was badly intonated, and needed a truss rod adjustment when I got it. But once those were fixed, it played like a dream and it sounded great, plugged in or not. And the finish on it was beautiful, it was a blue flower paisley, and really well done.

13. 68Telebass

68Telebass Tele-Afflicted

Welcome aboard!
    Looks like your first post generated a whole lot of MIA, MIM, and MIJ chatter right off the bat!!!

The sky’s the Limit!!
    Greetings from Arizona...,Northern Arizona (We get Snow!)

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.