90's Korean Tele fixer-upper

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by TX_Slinger, Oct 6, 2019.

1. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

Picked up a 90's Lyon by Washburn Tele for garage sale wall hanger 2-digit price.

Pros: Neck is identical to mid-level Washburn guitars made during same time period with nicely finished fret ends. Pickups were very close to 50's A5 type pickups. Body Finish looks decent with zero dings anywhere on body or neck. Neck, truss rod, fretboard are in good shape.

Cons: Tuners were awful. Body is plywood. Pots were shot. Control plate isn't standard (but OA dimension is Fender Spec). Poorly machined string trees. Frets need polishing.

Upgrades: Wilkinson EZ-lok tuners, Fender control plate, GFS complete harness. Fender roller string trees. Fender Schaller compatible strap buttons. Ordered Tonerider Hot Classic PU set...but waiting on them to finish the long boat ride from the UK.

Original pickups sounded pretty good thru my tube/hybrid amp, just not hot enough for me for Texas blues and classic rock. Kept as much of the original parts as possible to keep cost down so sticking with the original top load bridge. Did shorten the intonation screws to clean up appearance. Still under $200...[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Toadtele likes this.
  2. Macrogats

Macrogats Friend of Leo's

Nice. Good score and upgrades.

3. skerwo

skerwo Tele-Holic

Nice catch and seems to be worth with the upgrades !

4. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

Received my Tonerider PU's yesterday and went ahead and shielded the cavities with aluminum tape. Build quality of the pickups was outstanding. Had to use at low volume last night but the bridge pickup had a lot more note definition than the old stock one. I didn't notice much difference in the neck but I didn't drive it very hard.

5. TX_Slinger

TX_Slinger TDPRI Member

The Toneriders are worth every penny. Once I tweaked my signal chain I got a bridge PU hot enough for classic/hard rock with a much more ballsy neck PU. Glad I didn't get some of the even hotter sets I was looking at though. Balance really well in middle position also.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.