90's korean squier tele

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Erwin, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

I have a yellow Squier tele that I bought in '90 or '91 and it says made in korea on the head. It is the yellow one in my avatar, but I do have a better picture somewhere.

It's a plywood body and I installed a humbucker in the neck position. I did this true to the learnings of the chainsaw luthier institute when I was much younger.

I wanted to know a bit more of it but the guitar dater project cannot decode the serial nr. The headstock is a bit off as it has a small second lobe compared to my other tele's.

It has a silver logo and the bridge is a toploader. Also the neck seems to be rather wide and the fretboard has a 12" radius, and I really like it. The serial is S906218.

The guitar had fallen a bit out of grace because of newer and more flashy girls coming in but today I played it and I really enjoyed it.

Is there anyone here that can tell me more about it

Attached Files:

2. notmyusualuserid

notmyusualuserid Friend of Leo's

Made at the Samick factory in 1989-90.

3. nojazzhere

nojazzhere Poster Extraordinaire

My 1993 Korean Fender Squier Tele is a solid, three piece body, probably ash, top-load bridge. It had what I would say was a pretty standard slim neck, with the large "Fender" on headstock and small "Squier Series" at the "bulb" end of head. I replaced the neck with a Warmoth 24 3/4" conversion neck, with 1 11/16" at nut, and "fatback" (1" depth) profile. The only original stuff is the body, control plate, and strap buttons. But to your question, I was able to date manufacture by the serial number. What do you mean by "small second lobe" on headstock?
    BTW...I put the original neck on a GuitarFetish XPG body, and it fit perfectly. Sold it to a guy that says he loves it.
    Added...mine was made by Cort.

4. Erwin

Erwin Tele-Meister

What is the date if you could date it from the serial? What I mean by a smal second lobe is that the round part at the top of the head is smaller than on all of the other tele's i have : a 95 or so fat tele, a 2005 standard and a 2006 Squier Custom II with p90's.

5. Fenderflame

Fenderflame Tele-Holic

Hey Erwin

I had the exact same guitar. It was my 18th birthday and I convinced my parents that I was going to learn how to play guitar. I walked out of the shop with a £189 butterscotch '89 Squire and a £100 Marshall 12 SS practice amp.

Over the years I have replaced everything on the guitar, plywood body, neck, pickups, bridge, electronics, tuners. The only thing left is the control plate:

IMG_1036.JPG

I think I still have the tuners around here somewhere but everything else went in my pursuit of 'tone'.

It makes me all nostalgic to see yours.

I've no idea what happened to the Marshall...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.