90's Blues Deville (tweed) OR Super Reverb Reissue?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by FORQ, Jul 18, 2020.

1. FORQ

FORQ TDPRI Member

Based solely on tone/quality, which would you prefer and why?

Secondarily, does your opinion change if the BD is about $120 more than the SRRI? (Assume both amps are ostensibly in excellent condition.)

Lastly, were there SRRIs in the 90's? I thought those came later, but the cat I'm talking to says he got his in the 90's. I can't find definitive information on the Internet about that. Any insight on this would be cool.

Thanks!

2. Tele Slacker

Tele Slacker Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I’ve had a 90’s DeVille. Terrific amp! Loud as heck... heavy as sin. MDF cab, I believe. Had some issues with it early on (original owner), but dealer reflowed all solder joints. Zero issues after that. Used that amp every weekend for years with 2 bands. Finally sold it, because I just don’t have the need for it any longer.

all that said... Never played a super reverb ri (own a ‘66, but irrelevant to this conversation I guess)... but even money... I’d probably go SRRI. If the SRRI is cheaper... end of discussion..

FORQ likes this.
  3. refin

refin Friend of Leo's

A SRRI will usually be like most of the other RI amps (DRRI TRRI,ect) if stock....biased cold from the factory,not the best tubes (of course,that is my opinion).
    But---get that sucker biased hotter,and then decide if you need new tubes.Super Reverbs are great amps.

ezra1 and FORQ like this.
  4. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

What do you play and where? Either of them is way too much amp for 90% of situations unless you can crank them outdoors.

The SR is better sounding if you want Trad Fender with reverb. The HRDv is solid-state reverb with Drive and More Drive most people find unusable. If you play with lots of pedals the HRDv has more mids and arguably takes some distortions better.

SR - ply cabinet, better hardware, chassis mounted power tubes and will likely last better.

Been inside a few HRDx, Blues Deluxe and theyre a bit grim. Tube mounted sockets, PCB, pots etc not flash.

I think the current 65 reissue came out around 2000/2001.

Tele Slacker likes this.
  5. Tone Chase

Tone Chase Tele-Meister

Blues Deville 410 tweed is a loud impressive clean amp, and a good pedal platform. It weighs about 49 pounds. Had one with four blue Alnico speakers. Tube rattle was a constant thing to sort out. Liked it, but would rather have a Bassman.

I would choose the SR, between the two choices you are confronted with. It is easier to control the volume on than the Deville. The Deville wants to be played loud, the overdrive channel is a wasted feature.

I also think overall build quality is better with the SR.

nedorama and Tele Slacker like this.
  6. Axis29

Axis29 Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

SRRI all day long, even if it was $150 more.

Of the Hot Rod / Blues series amps, the 410 DeVille is my favorite. But, all of them have a weird upper mid harmonic thing that messes with my ears....

The Super Reverb is a classic. It has classic Blackface tone. The Reissue amps are built better as well.

Wallaby and Tele Slacker like this.
  7. schmee

schmee Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

SRRI all the way. I had that Deville, it just seemed loud and harsh. The Super is loud but readily useable.

hotrodkid and Tele Slacker like this.
  8. Dacious

Dacious Poster Extraordinaire

I'd look for a SF SR personally. A 40 or 45 Watters, not a 70.

BobbyZ and Rufus like this.
  9. dannyh

dannyh Tele-Afflicted

Super Reverb hands down for me.

10. pedro58

pedro58 Tele-Meister

If the owner bought it in the 90's, it is not a SRRI. It's probably a Super Amp. These are a 60W 4X10 with reverb and blackface cosmetics, but they are not reissues. I don't know what they sound like, though.

11. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I’m not a huge fan of either, but if it were one or the other, I’d take the DeVille. My reasoning is that it’s got more midrange in the voicing, so it punches better, and the bottom end is bigger, and stays tight and focused. Every super I’ve ever played sounds great at low volume for a clean platform. When I start to turn it up, the bottom starts to splat and come apart. No fun. Not to mention they’re voice is too mid scooped for my tastes.

If you like traditional BF fender tones, disregard this. As I generally do not. I like hearing other people play them. I can’t get a sound I really like out of one. If I were on a festival stage and my choice of these two amps for back line though, I’d take the DeVille. I’ve used them in back lines a lot and it’s always fairly easy to get a very workable sound out of one super quickly.

Also worth noting- I never use the dirt channel on any channel switching amp. I’m a clean, or edge-of-breakup with pedals player.

12. Jakedog

Jakedog Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

I forgot about these!! They were awesome. I had one, and would definitely take it back over either of the other amps we’re talking about. Of course, I’m going by memory and I had it twenty five years ago. But I loved it then!!

pedro58 likes this.
  13. Wallaby

Wallaby Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Super Reverb, definitely.

14. FORQ

FORQ TDPRI Member

Thanks, everybody! Lots of good feedback and insights. I think I may have the opportunity to A/B the amps, which will be the best way to choose the longer-term amp.

I tried a 90's HRD and it IS loud with lots of round bottom frequency...pretty good clean sound I thought with decent reverb and very responsive to touch. I noted the tone knobs don't have a wide range of effect as I think someone may have noted here.

Someone asked what I play and where, which is as great question that I certainly had in mind...I haven't played with a live band in about 5 years, so it'll be a little work to re-gain ability to harness the loudness of a HRD if I kept it, but I typically play rhythm guitar in rock 'n roll/garage/punk/ post punk stuff in small clubs, bars, basements, house parties. a 60W HRD is probably still too loud for something like that. My playing is influenced by blues, jazz, funk, a little country.

Thanks!

15. nedorama

nedorama Tele-Meister

I'd pick the Super Reverb hands down for key reasons:
    • Build quality alone the Super Reverb. Chassis mounted tube sockets vs. PC-board mounted tubes.
    • regular taper volume pot vs. the cheap pot used on Deville models that makes them go from Zero to loud.
    • Tremolo vs. useless overdrive
    • Tube-driven Reverb vs digital op amp reverb

stevemc likes this.
  16. ezra1

ezra1 TDPRI Member

Go with the Super Reverb

17. Wildeman

Wildeman TDPRI Member

Why a RI SF? Plenty of real one's are out there and affordable(especially the big ones). Just my opinion but the original SF amps are way better.

BobbyZ likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.