1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$90 amps that prove my life is a lie

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dmfp123, Jan 18, 2021.

1. ElJay370

ElJay370 Tele-Afflicted

The debate that never ends....

If you’re recording or never going to play anywhere other than by yourself in your bedroom/garage/man cave, then no....you don’t need a big, fancy, super expensive tube amp. You probably don’t even need an amp at all. Digital interfaces exist that are more than adequate...many of them even sound pretty damn good.

If you’re ever going to get out in front of people with bass, drums, keys, and vocals and really move some air, you need the raw power and presence of a tube amp. One of these little 15 watt buzz boxes could never cut it in that situation, I don’t care how well it’s mic’d.

Who really does this anyway? Sticks a 200 dollar microphone in front of an 80 dollar amp?:lol:

2. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

wait wait you were also at that noise show?

3. cyclopean

cyclopean Poster Extraordinaire

the cure and black flag sounded pretty great with solid state amps.

Tim S and ElJay370 like this.
  4. Musekatcher

Musekatcher Friend of Leo's

Everything processed thru the equipment on the sending end, then processed thru the LAN or wireless lines, then processed thru your gear on the receiving end, is going to sound like something different. Notice that anything played on your gear at home, sounds nothing like the live version. You can record yourself in any form, talking, clapping, picking - not the same. But most everything will sound the same coming thru that gear. Remember recognizing: a clock radio, a phone caller voice, the TV, a cell phone...they all sound similar, because the signal is similar, and augmented.

ElJay370 likes this.
  5. J-Flanders

J-Flanders Tele-Meister

The Roland Cube is a digital modeling amp (COSM) while all the amps in the demo are 100% analog.

It should be compared to other modeling amps like the Fender Mustang, Line 6 Viper etc.

PhredE likes this.
  6. Ronzo

Ronzo Tele-Afflicted

Well, my modified Valve Juniors - either the head version or the combo, with the oversized Hammond OTs I installed - sound immense through my Cerwin-Vega 2x12 folded-horn cabinet. It weighs a lot, and lives in a huge road case with wheels that’s about 3 feet high, 4 feet long and 2 1/2 feet deep, but it kinda proves the point that the first watt does most of the heavy lifting.

They’re single-ended amps and sound that way. 5 watts. Not clean at high volume, but I have other amps for that.

I can tell you that they can also accept a speaker-level direct box to send the amp signal to FOH if needed. Preamp tube distortion plus power tube distortion - or, with the head version, a balance between the two.

Dead stock, both Valve Juniors sucked, IMO. But the education I received from the 18watt.com forum members was worth much, much more than the money I spent on both amps, the modifications’ parts, plus my time.

7. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

I mean I have a late 60's twin and a few other things that are great live. I think it's safe to assume anyone involved in this thread already has a decent live setup, lol

Also I've done much hunting this past month and can't find a digital modeler with a clean sound I'm happy with. These sounded better than youtube demos of the vox, fender, blackstar, marshall, etc modelers--even the ones released by the respective companies where you KNOW there's some studio magic involved.

also also... come on, it's like an $80 mic in front of an $80 amp, lol

8. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

SS amps can have great clean sounds, had a few and different brands going way back.
    I didn’t like any of these sounds.
    How does a bad clean sound sound?

9. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

like a Roland JC

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  10. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

The ' JC Clean' model on my little baby Micro Cube sounds more like a (clean) Fender than their 'black panel' ( BF Fender) model- which sounds too bassy- not a balanced EQ.
    Go figure!
    - you just follow your ears, 'till you dial in what you want

But ( more than $90, yes), I really love the Micro Cube for my apartment.
    I've got 3-4 amp sounds + effects and to get these at whisper quiet ( or louder too) volume is fantastic.
    Not a toy.

11. fuman

fuman TDPRI Member

There's a place you're never going to get to on one of these four amps -- when the clean sound starts to break up and is so touch-responsive. But you CAN find it on slightly better amps. I've found Peavey's trans tube amps have a nice Fender-y breakup; the Mustang amps do it pretty well; I have a Yamaha THR10C that nails it. I would probably be more interested in a shootout at the equivalent of the 20-40 watt tube amp corral, where you could actually play small gigs with a reasonable drummer, or slightly beefier jams with anyone. Find me a Dolla amp that stands toe-to-toe with a Princeton or a Deluxe.

12. albatros

albatros TDPRI Member

You need to feel the amp's response to your own playing. You cannot trust on YouTube.

Chiogtr4x likes this.
  13. Ian_Sheridan1978

Ian_Sheridan1978 TDPRI Member

I had the frontman 15g.
    It was ok. The clean was nice and it sounded great with reverb/delayed etc...

It sounded very week and thin with classic fuzz.

I have a £200 Laney cub 10 valve amp that is a real giant killer though.

It's amazing.

14. Disco Biscuits

Disco Biscuits Tele-Meister

There's just something about the way a tube amp reacts when you've got it set right at break up. You can really feel the push when you start getting after it on your playing, as far as dynamics are concerned. You can go from subtle to sweet overdrive in a way that pedals just don't do for me.

15. dvh2

dvh2 TDPRI Member

i needed a small amp to play a huge room with mile high ceilings (yes, built in China). Sounds fantastic! All tube. 100_5947.JPG If needed we mic it through the PA.

16. DeckerPhan92

DeckerPhan92 TDPRI Member

What we call "good tone" depends on price and brand legacy.
    If i pay $900 for an amp im more likely to believe that it sounds better than a $90 amp even if they both sound the same.
    Tone-Nazis LOVE to deny this fact, but its true.

17. mmannaxx

mmannaxx Tele-Meister

I have a little Vox Pathfinder 15R that I bought new for about $100 some 15-20 years ago. Made in Korea at that time. For a 15 solid state amp it sounds very warm and almost "tube like" in tone. Perfect for playing on your own at home for a quick fix of guitar. i am thinking it might be a good jazz amp as well.
    But my 1976 Princeton Reverb and my Goodsell Super 17 are the bee's knees!

18. fendrguitplayr

fendrguitplayr Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I first had a Cyber-Deluxe then got a G-DEC and both can be made to sound great.

19. Scottsgarage

Scottsgarage TDPRI Member

Glad to see mention of Bugera, I got my son a Bugera V22 many years ago, as the model suggests a 22W tube amp. He has used it a lot and gigged with it all through high school, he is now 24 and was not all that careful with it and it still operates fine. I like it , I have a blackface Pro Reverb but use the Bugera a lot.

BackwaterJunction likes this.
  20. palethorn

palethorn TDPRI Member

I have Orange 12 and I love it. Tried the Marshall MG10 and Vox Pathfinder recently, and the Marshall sounds best of three. Didn't like the Vox at all. Haven't try the Fender one. I think that these amps would benefit from a bigger and better speaker. But you can't argue against the price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.