1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$90 amps that prove my life is a lie

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by dmfp123, Jan 18, 2021.

1. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

Stumbled across this on youtube. Question is... WHAT?! Why do these sound so good clean? Is there studio magic at work? Cause otherwise I've wasted a ton of money on expensive amps... could literally get all of these AND the sm57 for less than the price of a budget tube amp

2. Allan Allan

Allan Allan Tele-Afflicted

I own a Vox Pathfinder. It's a perfectly fine amp. I also think 95% of peoplecan't tell good tone from great tone and those that can have earplugs in to preserve their ears at a gig and can't tell anyway.

3. Peegoo

Peegoo Poster Extraordinaire

Most guitarists listen with their eyes and not their ears.

LAH_, Walden, Piotr and 47 others like this.
  4. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

I saw this a few weeks ago when my nephew expressed interest in learning guitar.

I think the Marshall sounds best in most of the categories that were tested.

JunebugJones, t-ray, zencat and 6 others like this.
  5. The Angle

The Angle Tele-Holic

First, Youtube's heavily-compressed digital audio may not be giving an authentic sense of what the amps sound like in person.

But that said . . .

For playing clean at low volume, transistors are every bit as good as tubes. I have a $50 Rogue amp that sounds fine clean; its OD channel sounds like someone vomiting bees into a metal trash can. Some SS amps also do pretty good distortion if you're willing to settle for 95 percent (I am; others may not be). In my experience, they often work better with their own inherent overdrive circuits rather than pedals. Unlike tube amps, SS amps don't appreciate having their preamps overdriven hard by a pedal. If you're going to use pedal distortion, you need to dial it in differently from how you'd set that pedal for a tube amp - i.e., turn the pedal's distortion up and turn its output down.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
    SheldonP, fos1, bigjohnbates and 11 others like this.
  6. gusfinley

gusfinley Tele-Afflicted

15 years ago $90 WAS a budget tube amp.

7. alnico357

alnico357 Tele-Afflicted

I have a $70 Cube 01 amp. It has a clean sound second to no amp I have ever heard or played. Since I play clean at home it is fine and dandy.

PhredE and emmaemme like this.
  8. BackwaterJunction

BackwaterJunction TDPRI Member

The Bugera V5 is a cute little tube combo that does a good job too. Picked mine up used for £80 a few years back. Just 5W, no frills.

9. rockymtnguitar

rockymtnguitar Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

The Pathfinder 10 is awesome, for what it is (in terms of space it will fill). Love mine.

boppy100 and donnyrocker like this.
  10. cenz

cenz Tele-Meister

I have the Crush12. Great amp, 99 beans.

fos1 likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Tele-Afflicted Gold Supporter

Well, the video reminded me that I don’t care for the sound of Orange amps.

No big surprises — For me, the Fender has the best cleans, Marshall has the best everything else and honorable mention to Vox for sounding like a Vox. Anyone looking for a brand’s sound will find it in these 4 amps, so I guess they did a good job for beginners’ amps.

Auherre756, t-ray, Torvald and 7 others like this.
  12. raito

raito Poster Extraordinaire

I think they listen more with their memories than with any of their senses.

Mad Kiwi, howardlo, djh22 and 2 others like this.
  13. Chiogtr4x

Chiogtr4x Doctor of Teleocity

I want that Marshall!

I own a Frontman 25R and Pathfinder 15R ( which are both larger than the FM and PF featured here) that sound very good clean.
    But that Marshall's crunch/power chord tone blows away the others!

t-ray and Keep on Truckin like this.
  14. Obsessed

Obsessed Telefied Silver Supporter

Hearing the difference between a S.S. amp and a tube amp perhaps is not very different, but playing through both types of amps ... the tubes are far more inspiring and fun IMO.

That said, I just bought my first S.S. amp in 15 years, but ... for a very unique purpose.

15. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

I dunno about some of those power chord clips.... Marshall sounded pretty good, at least.

Honestly, if all you're doing is recording, quite a few folks would say you don't need an amp at all anymore.

16. Anacharsis

Anacharsis Tele-Holic

I like SS better. I have some little 1 watt Blackstar tube amps and some Joyo Bantamps with tube preamps still, but that's mostly because selling right now is a PITA, and the money I'd make is not really worth the hassle at this time.

But yeah, I like SS better.

17. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

Man... that's the thing that's blowing my mind right there. You could have Vox cleans, "BF" Fender cleans, Marshall cleans (I actually like them), and Orange cleans in the studio for like $400.

Would never ever play them live, but in the studio? Man, you could spend $400 on studio gear and get a lot less... and still get a good deal, lol

JunebugJones likes this.
  18. dmfp123

dmfp123 TDPRI Member

Yeah, not a fan of the distortion on any of them

The needing an amp at all... that's kinda my current debate right now. I was going to go for a digital modeling unit, was in the process of tracking down the one that gave the most options for clean tones... but these honestly the cleans on these sound better than anything I've heard out of any of the modelers

USian Pie likes this.
  19. MrDeafeningGuitar

MrDeafeningGuitar TDPRI Member

Speaking about the difference in feel...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2021
  20. USian Pie

USian Pie Tele-Meister

Totally agree. I would love a direct in solution that sounds good but everything I've tried so far has too much harshness in the treble. They will get me by for doing quick guide tracks but I usually want to replace them later.

There's something about a speaker moving air to a mic that seems to tame the harshness.

I'm sure there are direct solutions without this problem. I look at something like a Strymon Iridium and think that's the ticket but, at close to $400, it's easier to just mic the amp I have now.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.