9 volt batteries question

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by chulaivet1966, May 4, 2019.

1. chulaivet1966

chulaivet1966 Tele-Afflicted

Good day forumites...

Fired up my DAW, tuned my Tele, plugged in the Nady 201 and the battery is dead so I need to head out into the world for more of them.

A couple of questions:

1) Don't know if it's necessary but I've always taken out my 9 volt battery from my axe tuner and my Nady 201 wireless after I'm done tuning or playing.
    Thinking it minimizes drain and maybe having it last longer.
    My Nady wireless does seem to suck up juice but maybe I'm playing more than I think I am.

Your thoughts?....factoids? Am I being ridiculously retentive here or do some of you do the same and tend to think it is a good general habit?

2) I'm not close to a Fry's to get the name brand 9volter's and thinking of trying the Radio Shack/Target brands.

Your thoughts?....experience? Are they really pretty much all the same these days anyway?

Thanks for any G2....a good day to all.

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    2 Headed Goat likes this.
  2. memorex

memorex Friend of Leo's

They are not the same. Everready Alkaline last fairly long, but for high current applications, like some pedals that eat batteries, Duracell are better. Unfortunately, for low current applications or where the battery sits a long time, like flashlights, Duracells tend to leak. I've stopped using them for that reason. I use either Everready or Signature, that's the batteries Jewel/Osco sells. They seem to work fine and are a lot cheaper. But I'm talking smoke detectors and flashlights, because all of my music stuff runs on a power supply. I wouldn't trust batteries for that. Even though there was a power failure at my last gig, it would've made no difference, right?

2 Headed Goat and chulaivet1966 like this.
  3. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have started buying bulk batteries off Ebay. The industrial packaged ProCell are Duracell without the plastic packaging. Far cheaper especially in 9 Volt which tend to be a rip off bought even at Costco.
    BTW, I buy Snark tuner batteries like the 2032's off Ebay also, they are Eveready and maybe 35-45 cents each as opposed to local at $3 apiece! I just buy a dozen or so

4. String Tree

String Tree Doctor of Teleocity

Stay with Alkaline Batteries.
    Check the Expiration date.
    Many of the 'other' battery brands are just re-packaged Evereadys and Duracells.

aerhed and chulaivet1966 like this.
  5. chulaivet1966

Chuckle...yep...."right".

I kind of thought a wireless transmitter would be a battery sucking vampire. (as I snarl at the price of them)
    I guess a wireless guitar system fits into the "high current applications, like some pedals that eat batteries"

Schmee....String Tree....good suggestions.

Did I mention I hate paying the prices on those muthers!

Thanks all for chiming in....

6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Friend of Leo's

IME it really depends on the current draw of the device. My Boss RC-3 looper really requires alkaline batteries (Duracell, Everready and Kodak are the brands I've used) and I can get a couple of hours use out of one. Name brand 'Heavy Duty' (whatever that means) 9v's last less than 5 minutes and a couple of Chinese 'alkaline' ones I bought from a dollar store both lasted less than one minute!
    I have bought 2032's for clip on tuners at dollars stores like 8 for a $1 and they each lasted a fair amount of time.

chulaivet1966 likes this.
  7. thechad

thechad Tele-Meister

Most pedals will not drain batteries as long as the input jack is unplugged. If I’m leaving my stuff set up between use I generally unplug the input cables from each pedal. If I’m going more than a week or so, I’ll take the batteries out. Not so much because I worry about the battery life but mostly because I don’t want to chance one exploding in my pedal. I’ve found in the past that some pedals suck power more than others but you can extend the life of a battery from these pedals by using them in lower demand pedals afterwards. For example I have a boss phase-shifter pedal that would eat up a 9v in 2 weeks time. The battery would be dead by that pedals standards, but I could then throw that 9v in my distortion pedal and get 6 months more use from it.

These days I’ve become tired of buying 9v batteries and got a power supply. A cheap donner one for about $50 Cad and it does the trick quite nicely. No need to worry about a battery dying on you mid song!

8. Mike Eskimo

Mike Eskimo Telefied Ad Free Member

Old school fuzz pedal = old school batteries (dollar store )

That’s it ! That’s the extent of my battery knowledge !

(When our other guitar player with the second gen Big Muff finally stopped using an adapter and started using the crap batteries I gave him , his eyes got really big -“OMG - this thing is awesome !”)

9. chulaivet1966

thechad....

Got it....I always unplug too if I think I'm going to be idle during the course of the day's usage.
    Oh...yes....it's happened to me 'mid song'....a real PMO I might add.
    It's unfortunate these wireless transmitters don't have an AC option. :)

Mike Eskimo....chuckle.

Thanks for contributing.....

10. Wrighty

Wrighty Tele-Afflicted

If the transmitter end could use a PSU you’d have to plug it in and then.......we’ll, think about it! I think, Mr Eskimo, you already have!

11. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

Lol kind of defeats the purpose!

Doesn't the transmitter have an on/off switch? I have a nady wireless and I'm pretty sure it has a switch. Haven't used it in years though.

Wireless was fun when I was younger and better looking. I could go dance with the girls while we played. Now I use a 10 foot cord to keep myself on stage arrest.

12. Fearnot

Fearnot Friend of Leo's

Last time I priced name-brand 9Vs at the WallyWorld near me, I was stunned at the price... upwards of $7 for a two-pack! That's insane. (I can get those big 6V lantern-sized batteries for just a bit more!)

Thankfully, I went to power supplies for all my effects some time ago... the few pedals I still keep batteries in will have to be happy with dollar store batts and the occasional bulk-purchase at Fry's or Micro Center.

13. vanr

vanr Tele-Afflicted

I generally buy Ray-O-Vac batteries at Walmart. Buy them from a store that sells lots of batteries like Walmart. That way they are fresh.

14. LGOberean

LGOberean Doctor of Teleocity

I'm not a pedal guy. I only own one pedal, the BOSS ME-70 multi-effects pedal. I bought it for a good price, an open box deal which included the power supply, so in all the years I've used it--which isn't much--I never once put batteries in it.

Where I use batteries in my headstock tuners (using a CR2032 battery) and the 9V batteries powering the onboard preamps in my acoustic/electric guitars. I don't shop around for the cheapest price; I just buy the Duracell's in the two-packs at the grocery store. Yeah, they cost about what Fearnot said. But it doesn't bother me, because they last so long.

In my acoustic/electric tele style guitar that I use every week, one 9V battery lasts a year! I got the guitar in January of 2018, and changed it this past January, not because it was dead, but just seemed like a good time to do it, so I'd remember when to change it. So thus far in 2019, that Duracell 9V has been doing its job.

Oh, I don't take it out of the guitar after the gig's over, or once I get home. The battery stays in 24/7 until I change it. Maybe I could get even more life out of it if I were to take it out after each use, but since it's only costing me like $3.50 per year, I don't sweat it.

15. chulaivet1966

Chuckle....
    Yes...I always turn the transmitter switch off.
    I got my first Nady 201 in 1994 and since then I always use it, even for recording.
    A cord would be cumbersome to me now.....I'm spoiled. :)

Fearnot....
    I hear you...I picked up a 4 pack at Target a couple hours ago for 12$!
    This music habit can be expensive for the smallest things.

vanr....
    I get your logic.
    The ones I got today are Duracell/Alkaline - 5 year warranty as storage - exp. Mach 2023.
    Not that anyone is counting.

LGOberean....
    I only have one pedal that I haven't used/recorded with since 1988.
    I still have it in my box of tricks....a nice bright yellow sustain pedal that I'll keep just to say...."I have one of those".
    Yes...I have a 9v in my Martin copy which I had pickups installed and it does seem to last far longer that my Nady vampire.

EDIT: I'm doing an experiment on 9v life/hours used.
    Will advise results when this battery flips me off and gives up the ghost.

Thanks to all for chiming in....

16. Les H

Les H Tele-Holic

We use a lot of batteries at my work and we started just ordering the Amazon house brand a couple years ago. They look very plain but they're relatively cheap and have been pretty decent as far as I know.

They don't have many positive reviews but I wonder are people expecting them to never die? Probably.

However I've noticed the quality of all batteries is way down. Every time I change batteries anymore one or more seem to leak. I never experienced a leaking battery in all my life til the last 4-5 years. Doesn't matter the brand, they all are doing it.

17. Paul in Colorado

Paul in Colorado Telefied Ad Free Member

I like the Ace Hardware house brand.

18. chulaivet1966

I don't know....in my ignorance, I tend to think it's really a crap shoot in this context.
    I'm not even sure it's worth the expense to research the (too pricey) re-chargeable route.
    Ha....I probably shouldn't complain....I only have two devices (axe tuner/wireless) that require the 9v batteries.
    Not a pedal board full of cool, colorful signal proc/FX boxes. :)

Paul in Colorado....
    Good...we have a ACE close by so that's in memory.

Thanks all....

19. Sleepyscholar

Sleepyscholar Tele-Meister

I use power supplies for my pedal boards, but I do have two guitars that require 9V batteries, and I just go with rechargeables (Toshiba Impulse, for what it's worth). They cost more, but it's a one-off payment, and they've already paid for themselves. Yeah, maybe 'the toanz' aren't as good with rechargeable batteries, but I wouldn't know about that.

20. Tonetele

Tonetele Poster Extraordinaire

They seem to fade in pedals fast. I suggest a pedal that runs off AC and is a power transformer to 9V for the rest of your boards ( pedals). Worth it when you have a few pedals and are constantly bothered by a flat 9V battery in one that may upset the whole board.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.