9 to 5 (pit band content)

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I just agreed to play in the pit band for a local school musical. A quick look at the orchestration shows that both guitar parts call for multiple types of guitar - electric, acoustic, slide, and (oddly specifically) Telecaster, so I'm hoping to use this as justification for buying a decent acoustic-electric as I don't have one.

I haven't done pit work since college. A Katana should cover amplification, and a Gretsch and SG-200 should give me all the electric sounds I'll need. Any advice on what acoustic-electric I should get? I haven't bought an acoustic since my Hirade classical 40 years ago.

uriah1

Telefied
Gold Supporter
Yikes. Got it all going on. !!
Price range. Most high end and low end acoustics have electronics now.

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I just agreed to play in the pit band for a local school musical. A quick look at the orchestration shows that both guitar parts call for multiple types of guitar - electric, acoustic, slide, and (oddly specifically) Telecaster, so I'm hoping to use this as justification for buying a decent acoustic-electric as I don't have one.

I haven't done pit work since college. A Katana should cover amplification, and a Gretsch and SG-200 should give me all the electric sounds I'll need. Any advice on what acoustic-electric I should get? I haven't bought an acoustic since my Hirade classical 40 years ago.
MUST STAY IN TUNE!
The rest will take care of itself.
And, as an old sage of a Theater I once played at told us before we took the stage: Don't Suck!

String Tree

Doctor of Teleocity
I was the Guitarist for our Local Theater's Production of RENT 11 years ago.
I played my LP Custom for most of it.
Played a couple of songs on my Tele tuned-down a Half-Step and my Takamine for the Acoustic stuff.

Theater comes with it's own unique challenges and, rewards.

telequacktastic

Tele-Afflicted
I enjoy doing theater work. Haven't done any in a while. Your question about which acoustic electric to buy, I had a good experience buying a used Nazareth PA Martin off Reverb. Seller disclosed repaired cracks and player wear, I went with it and am happy I did. Quite a lot of guitar for the money.

Which musical are you doing?

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I enjoy doing theater work. Haven't done any in a while. Your question about which acoustic electric to buy, I had a good experience buying a used Nazareth PA Martin off Reverb. Seller disclosed repaired cracks and player wear, I went with it and am happy I did. Quite a lot of guitar for the money.

Which musical are you doing?
9 to 5 (Dolly Parton jukebox). I'm on Guitar #2. Just got a look at the part and I'm going to need a bit of private rehearsal to get the instrument changes and pedal changes down.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
I picked up a Variax Standard a few years ago - just on the off-chance that some such gig might come up.

With it, I could cover most of the bases that I’ve come across in show music.
Looks like quite the interesting option. Will have to see if anyone around here sells them or if it's direct only.

grandstick

Tele-Holic
9 to 5 (Dolly Parton jukebox). I'm on Guitar #2. Just got a look at the part and I'm going to need a bit of private rehearsal to get the instrument changes and pedal changes down.
Who's putting this show on? I've performed with GHS, Midlakes, Waterloo, SF, GTG, SCP, and several others that escape me at the moment.

Harry Styron

Friend of Leo's
9 to 5 would be fun.

Playing guitar is a pit is very challenging, because there is a lot of music to learn in a very short time, with only three or four rehearsals before opening night. And theatre music is often rhythmically complex, with lots of key changes.

MisterZ

Tele-Afflicted
9 to 5 would be fun.

Playing guitar is a pit is very challenging, because there is a lot of music to learn in a very short time, with only three or four rehearsals before opening night. And theatre music is often rhythmically complex, with lots of key changes.
I did a few shows in college ages ago - Man of La Mancha, Pippin, a couple others. Bye Bye Birdie was tougher than you'd have thought.

KokoTele

Doctor of Teleocity
Vendor Member
For this gig, I'd recommend something like a Taylor T5 instead of a "real" acoustic. A good acoustic is going to be more sensitive to changes in temperature and humidity, which means the guitar will feel different between sound check and the show.

Barring that, any decent acoustic with a pickup will get the job done. Pick one you like to play and run with it. You'll probably find a smaller bodied one will be easier to manage in your pit space. Under-saddle transducers (UST, just a piezo under the saddle) have the magical quality of making an expensive hand-made guitar sound the same as a $200 junker, and most factory guitars that come with onboard pickups and preamps use this design.

The Variax might work for you if you like the way it sounds enough. They're not very well-made guitars and the frets usually need attention. Get one used and take it to a tech to get it playing right, or even swap the neck.

Engine Swap

Friend of Leo's
Sounds fun!

I was in the pit band for my HS production of “Fiddler on the Roof”

Our school didn’t have any bassoonists, so I covered the part on bass trombone. Got to layout for half the songs, while most of the other songs only had two tied whole notes at the end. Did more watching than playing. It was a great experience.

johnny k

Doctor of Teleocity
I don't think i would worry about all those things, it looks like it could put you in trouble on the day of the gig. I would maybe follow the sound advice, but changing guitars ? i don't know. I am sort of a punk though.