9 Pin Tube Socket for JCM900?

Discussion in 'Amp Central Station' started by gionnio, Feb 20, 2013.

1. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

I need to find a drop-in replacement for this. It's the PI socket for a 2xEL34 model. Does anyone have a good source?

I've done a couple of internet searches and come up dry. Generic tube sockets vary quite a bit dimension-wise and have proven to be a total crapshoot for me in the past, so I'd prefer to get a recommendation from someone who's already been there. I'd really like to be able to keep the shield and its mounting as-is if possible and just replace the broken socket.

2. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

3. muchxs

muchxs Doctor of Teleocity

Tube sockets are a gamble. Buyin' tube sockets, anyway.

I keep tryin' to find an alternative to NOS. NOS cost $10 each. I paid a lot less on Canal Street 30+ years ago.

I'm down to my last four from Canal Street.

NOS are scarce. It used to be AES had them. They're difficult to find in quantity.

New ones range from o.k. to unacceptable. There are weird issues like mounting holes are too small so every socket needs to be re-worked before mounting. Sockets that are loose in the base. You can stick any number of silicone "O" rings on a 12AX7, it's not going to do much good if the socket is buzzing in its mount.

Milspec Cinch, Eby or Elco are the trick if you can find them. I'm jealously hoarding a small quantity ot milspec Cinch ceramics. Same quality as used in '60s Marshalls when they used excellent parts.

Attached Files:

4. muchxs

5. 6942

6942 Poster Extraordinaire

E-bay, AES, Tube Depot, Angela Instruments, etc....ALL carry quality tube sockets.

You can get BELTON (Korea) from tube depot, QQQ (Japan) from Angela instruments, and NOS Amphenol & Cinch on flea-bay.

6. 6942

FWIW....I just picked up 16 NOS Cinch/Erie Plexicon tube sockets (7 pin) on flea-bay, for $12.50/delivered.

The deals are out there, ya just gotta look...............................................

7. muchxs

Try to find NOS 9 pin mini w/ shield base. Then try to find them at a reasonable price.

7 pin. Can't use a 12AX7 in a 7 pin socket. :rolleyes:

I spend a ridiculous amount of time looking.

8. 6942

Angela Instruments carry 9 pin sockets with shield bases.
    Probably Chinese-made, but NOT terrible expensive either.

9. muchxs

You don't seen to understand the "reproduction" parts market.

It's like this:

There are plenty of inexpensive parts out there if you want to shop by price alone. The least expensive parts are often practically useless. They have fit and finish issues that become apparent when you use them to replace an OEM part.

There's a better grade of fertilizer available but that's hit or miss as well. Sometimes it's the same cheap parts only for a higher price.

I think that's what the OP is talking about. He wants OEM fit and finish. He's havin' difficulty findin' it.

10. muchxs

Scatalogical Sockets

We'll start with these. They have an inexplicable raised flange around the mounting holes. They might work for a Top Hat style installation with rubber grommets at the mounting points. The flange makes them wrong for anything else. It will crush and loosen up.

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
  11. muchxs

More Scat

Next, the cheapo aluminum shield bases that came with the above sockets. The shield bases stand off on the bizarre-o flanges at the mounting bosses. Tightening the screws twists the shield base all out of shape. I have a big bag of these somewhere. They're difficult to mount without makin' 'em look like they were stepped on.

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      47.7 KB
      Views:
  12. muchxs

Scat III, The Sequel

Next we have this little gem. Don't know where I got it, just got it. This one has undersized mounting holes. The plastic socket rattles in the metal mount. Tube pins don't line up correctly in these making inserting tubes a real PITA.

If that isn't bad enough count the pins.

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      47.9 KB
      Views:
  13. muchxs

Scat, The Epic Finale (for now)

Finally, an import octal. Looks o.k. until you try to install it. The little fingers that hold the ceramic bit to the mount stand proud of where they're supposed to be. The socket won't sit flush and worse, it bends the chassis when the hardware is tightened.

Attached Files:

• 004.jpg
      004.jpg
      File size:
      47.8 KB
      Views:
  14. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

15. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

That's it!

Thanks to everyone for the suggestions, but I've already been where muchxs has been on previous repair jobs and am hoping to avoid a redux.

Searching for OEM is a good place to start...does anyone know who Marshall used as a source for parts when the JCM900 was in production?

16. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I didn't know how bad new production sockets were. Only time I've used them was with a Weber kit. sSnce then I stopped useing kits and I use sockets pulled from old organs and what ever.

The AES sockets look good. In the pictures anyway.

17. gionnio

gionnio Tele-Meister

Just a quick follow up - I pinged several of the sites recommended here and John was the guy who, rather than just sending a parts list or a link to his website, asked more detail on the exact model number and then followed up with a link to what I hope will be the the real deal.

Even if it's not an exact replacement I want to give him props for taking the time to follow through on my request. I will visit his site first next time I'm looking for parts.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.