9.5 Vs 10 Radius

ThatsInteresting

TDPRI Member
I`ve been playing with a fat 9.25 radius neck for a while now, but today I got playing a 10" radius C neck I`m finding when for example using an E chord the palm of my hand mutes the bottom E string I have to hold my left hand totally different to the way I hold my normal guitar especially if sitting down. Anyone played both necks and find the same thing happens

memorex

Poster Extraordinaire
I have two compound radius necks, one is 9.5-12", the other is 10-14". I don't notice that much difference at the nut, but at the high end, the 10-14" feels considerably flatter. I like both, but maybe a slight preferance for the 9.5-12" because it feels more vintage.

Boreas

Doctor of Teleocity
OP - Sounds like it is more likely neck profile and not fretboard radius. Could also be due to the amount of "roll" at the edge of the fretboard. May even want to measure fretboard width. Fender does make different neck widths.

Personally, I don't feel fretboard radius has as much to do with the feel of a neck as it does fingering and fretting that neck.

Linkslover

Tele-Meister
I have 9.5" radius on my Strat and a 10" radius on my Guild Bluesbird. I don't notice any difference in how I hold chords. Could be the shape of the neck. Both my necks were designed by Leo so the difference is minimal.

AAT65

Poster Extraordinaire
I have two Fenders with 9.5” radius boards and another with a 9.5-12” compound radius board, and a PRS SE 245 with a ZOT 10” board (& shorter scale length). All feel equally comfortable for chording and soloing. I do notice the shorter scale (as an advantage) when I’m playing some “stretchy” parts.

I have another guitar with a 12” board and that does feel a little more hard work for chording, especially barre chords. However in that case it could also be the neck profile (which is nice enough - but a bit slimmer than the other guitars). I’ve persuaded myself that this means that 9.5-10” is the sweet spot for me and I don’t like anything flatter than 12” — but I acknowledge that this may be a completely false conclusion based on comparing instruments with a host of small differences. 😀

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
I’m quite sure I would not know the difference between 9 an 10 inch radius by feel, even side by side. Neck width, shape and edge rolling seem much more significant. Find what’s comfortable for you.

ThatsInteresting

TDPRI Member
I’m quite sure I would not know the difference between 9 an 10 inch radius by feel, even side by side. Neck width, shape and edge rolling seem much more significant. Find what’s comfortable for you.
The 9.5 I normally use is a fat neck the 10" is very slim hence why the palm of my hand comes around and rests on bottom E. Rather than learn a new technique i`ll stick with my fat necks, I just want to see if anyone else notices this with slim necks

LowCaster

Tele-Afflicted
Yes, sure. Depending on your Technique, if you wrap your hand around a neck and the neck is too thin or narrow then the hand will be positioned differently.

I’d say smaller necks feel like they should be easier to play, but bigger is more comfortable in the long run, you have to find the right spot for you. More chances of muting the high E with a narrow neck too.

My favorite now is an allparts SR0-62 strat neck, 1 5/8inch (41.8mm really), supposedly C shape, but it feels full and round in the hand, which happens if you reduce the width but not the thickness. It took me a lot of time to find out.

boris bubbanov

Tele Axpert
Ad Free Member
OP - Sounds like it is more likely neck profile and not fretboard radius. Could also be due to the amount of "roll" at the edge of the fretboard. May even want to measure fretboard width. Fender does make different neck widths.

Personally, I don't feel fretboard radius has as much to do with the feel of a neck as it does fingering and fretting that neck.
Absolutely.

Also, I'm wondering if the O.P. means 7.25. Because to my knowledge I've never seen a 9.25 radius neck. The difference between say, 9.5 and 10.0 (I have quite a few of each) is less than negligible.