1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

$89 Tele worth it???

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by TwangBilly, Jul 3, 2011.

1. TwangBilly

TwangBilly Tele-Afflicted

Is this $89.00 Squire Tele at Guitar Center worth the price plus my gas to drive two hours to my nearest guitar center? Or would I be better off to just wait and pay full retail for a squire Tele to mod??? Money is very tight right now, but I'm experimenting with making pickups and need a guinea pig to make further progress. Opinions based on experience with these Squires would be much appreciated!

2. oramac7891

oramac7891 Friend of Leo's

I would do it

3. Gilamnstr

Gilamnstr Tele-Afflicted

I think it would be a great mod platform. I'm sure the Squier is just as good (or better) than the other 'bargain guitars' (Rondo, etc.). I don't have the $89 model, but I've sure never regretted buying my Squier Affinity BSB.

4. syrynx

syrynx Tele-Afflicted

5. Five-O

Five-O Tele-Afflicted

Hard call, cause at the end of the day, after all mods you'll still have a basswood body with a cheap finish and unless you change out the pots, and 3 way switch, cheap electronics. Not to mention an unknown quality neck and tuners. Now if you want it for guitar build training purposes with no hope of ending up with a keeper, as they say, then its probally worth it, just don't expect too much in the end.

6. DOGMA Dunn

DOGMA Dunn Friend of Leo's

They make great stocking stuffers. Plan ahead and get a few for that price.

7. superbadj

superbadj Poster Extraordinaire

Ahh, the classic "but". I've gotten myself in trouble with that but.

If Money's tight, use your money where you need it, rather than on another toy. Do you have ANY guitars you can use for a testbed?

An $89 tele isn't worth missing paying a bill or eating.

Just my $.02.

8. telex76

telex76 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

As a pure guinea, I guess it would be worth it. Of course you still won't know what your pickups would sound like in a good tele.

9. outlawyer

outlawyer Tele-Holic

Unless it's a total dog with a warped neck, don't see how it could not be worth it.
    Price has much less to do with quality in this modern era than in olden times. Some really great stuff coming out of China these days, just have to look.

10. lfender523

lfender523 TDPRI Member

I bought one on Friday and I played it on a couple of songs at a gig last night. IMO, it's worth the money. The guys in the band were impressed with it. I have several guitars that are better, for one reason or another, but the Bullet HH Tele is a great deal for sure.

11. RedGuitars

RedGuitars TDPRI Member

Stopped at the local GC to check them out. Picked up 3 different ones, on every one the tone and/or volume knob was loose. Also, the cap on the pup toggle was missing, again on each one. Didn't even bother playing one. Was not comfortable with the quality and I'm not going to buy just because they were cheap.

Of course, the day wasn't a total loss. Went home with a new mandolin. :D

12. Warm Gums

Warm Gums Friend of Leo's

Call first some places are out..
    The switch cap is in the box with the truss rod wrench, they probaly have them in the "case candy" box.
    If money is tight, you might be better off watching that stores "used gear" on the web site and seeing if a old epi special II or something similar dosent turn up for $50 or so.

13. TwangBilly

Yeah it would never be a keeper. Just something I can test pickups in and try some different wiring ideas. I only own one electric, my G.E. Smith Tele. I don't want to use it for a test dummy, I'm hard on them! The last one ended up in many smaller than original pieces! Haha. It won't break me but it will zero out my guitar fund haha. Oh well, I have an amp to sell anyways. And congratulations on the mandolin Red, good choice! It's actually my main instrument. Be forewarned, you WILL be doing Tele style licks on it! They just happen without even thinking about it! Lol!

14. kingfish

kingfish Tele-Holic

Picked up one of these this morning at GC for the grandson.

It is what it is, but still a pretty incredible value for $89!

15. 91xlntS-3

91xlntS-3 Tele-Afflicted

Played 2 of them yesterday and both needed nut work. Both of them had the "sitar" effect on the first (high E) string. Necks felt pretty good, as far as size. In the end, even at $89, I passed. Just because they're cheap, doesn't mean I'll buy it anyway...even if it is a Tele!

16. TwangBilly

Well I did it. I made the drive. Traded in some effects pedals I bought from a buddy and didn't like and a little cash for it. I am impressed with the quality for the price. The sunburst is actually not the worst I've seen, there's a little nice grain pattern in the wood, it pretty well stays in tune, it needs setup and the pickups are junk but it will serve my purpose well. I had never even looked at Squires before, I checked out the Classic Vibe yesterday, wow! Very impressed, Probably the best Tele I've seen in the price range! But I also fell in love with an American Nashville B-Bender Tele...Ohhhh my! Does Squire make a B-Bender? Lol

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.