8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. motherofjazus

motherofjazus NEW MEMBER!

I recently picked up a nice 8502 in sunburst. Great nick. Very nice guitar. Neck has taken a little getting used to coming from an American Standard before. How are people setting the height on the modern vintage pickups on their guitars ? I’ve been kind of messing with them by ear. I don’t have the means for accurate measurements. I don’t think I have it quite right.

Attached Files:

2. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

I just listed my 8502 in the Classifieds, if anyone is in the market.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
  3. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

How much? Sadly I don't want to buy...I might want to sell mine. I have 2004 blonde with black pick-guard in mint condition, with OHSC in mint condition, hang tags etc. What is the going rate for something like that? I probably will just keep it though...

4. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

5. goddardo

goddardo Tele-Meister

I've got chance of one of these in blonde for around £750... Only thing making me hesitate a bit is the weight 8.8 pounds.
    Still very tempted .. Would really appreciate any comments as these are quite new to me... Looking for a nice usa tele, so could this be the one?

6. atomicjim

atomicjim TDPRI Member

I just posted an 8502 Tele, serial # Z6253804 Blonde, Black pick guard, one owner. Stock, no modifications Passes all 8504 tests. Reason for selling: I have two of them. See my add in the Classifieds, with pictures.

7. JohnPeck

JohnPeck TDPRI Member

Hey, are you still looking to sell?

8. JohnPeck

JohnPeck TDPRI Member

Guys,
    Im in the market for a blonde 8502 but i dont want to get scammed and not get the stock pickups.
    Im a little confused...so the bridge pickup should have a white cloth ribbon. But should it also have white cloth protected windings? Would i have to remove the pickup to see this? Also i saw mention of a plate. Any pics or info on this would be helpful. And lastly what distinguishes the neck pickup as stock?
    Thanks guys...looking forward to joining the club!!!

9. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Welcome to TDPRI!

Well, there are a few things to look for. Perhaps somebody can add some more info that I may have missed.

First off, the white cloth on the bridge pickup is clearly visible as you can see in the photo below. Another obvious feature is the pickguard. It's either white or black depending on the year, but it's always a thicker guard with no laminate (always a solid white or black). The pickguard is beveled as well. The finish comes in blonde (translucent) or 2-tone sunburst. The bridge plate is made from steel, and a magnet can detect whether it is or not. The string tree on the headstock is always of the vintage round variety. You'll never see an 8502 with a rosewood fretboard. I have seen a few modded guitars out there that didn't appear to be an 8502 at first, but some have proven to be the real deal, albeit modified. For the most part, though, they're usually pretty easy to spot. If you do happen to find one, you can always post some photos here to get a confirmation on it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]free image upload site no registration

Hopefully this is of some help. Of course, others may pipe in, too. Happy hunting!

10. JohnPeck

JohnPeck TDPRI Member

Thanks a lot for that info. I knew some of that. I'm more worried about having someone switch the pickups out. For example I know there are other pickups out there that have white cloth. So is there something else about those pickups to look for. Especially the neck pickup which I never see anyone describe at all.

jim_pridx likes this.
  11. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

I honestly don't know if there's a way to be absolutely certain that the pickups are original to the guitar. I think you pretty much have to lean on good faith in hoping that any seller of an 8502 is being honest himself. If I remember correctly, the pickups themselves don't have any unique markings on them, either. Other than the white cloth, they pretty much look the same as any other Fender pickup. I've purchased five 8502s over the years, and I believe that all of them were completely stock. Conversely, I noticed that there's currently an 8502 on Ebay. The seller notes that the bridge pickup has been swapped out, but the pickguard obviously isn't original, either. Those are the ones I avoid like the plague.

12. JohnPeck

JohnPeck TDPRI Member

Thanks, Jim
    I saw that one on ebay. I noticed he buried the info that the pickup was changed. But i did not notice the pick guard. What about that pick guard let u know that it isnt stock?

13. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

The pickguard is a B/W/B laminate. They were never a stock item on the 8502.

14. TeleCarlo

TeleCarlo NEW MEMBER!

Hello everyone. Carlos from Tenerife, Canary Islands, another happy Telecaster Addict. I'd like to own someday a CS, a 60 or 54, perhaps. Dreaming about Fender hypnotic tele feelings...Okay by the way show my 2006 original 8502, my fist tele, 2017 american original 50, a classic vibe 52. I spect the arriving from USA on 2018 October last week an American original Fiesta red60, another Fender piece of my life. I hope to have many time to enjoy my Telecasters.

Attached Files:

jim_pridx likes this.
  15. atomicjim

atomicjim TDPRI Member

I have one advertised in the Classified. It is all original, in great condition. Take a look and get back to me. My email address is: jameskennedy@hotmail.com

16. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Still available? Just sold my '99 American Standard. I'm looking for an 8502 in the 7.5 lbs region, I'm getting old for 8+ pounders :confused:

Last edited: Dec 18, 2018
  17. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

I am looking for an original 8502 if anyone is selling. I'd prefer a lighter-weight blonde. Feel free to PM me.

Thanks

18. atomicjim

atomicjim TDPRI Member

I still have one for sale. I weighted it and it is around 7 pounds. It is in very good condition, all original. I was asking 1,200, but that price if VERY Negotiable. My email address" jameskennedy@hotmail.com. I passes all the tests for an 8502

19. pulteney

pulteney Tele-Meister

Thanks, just sent you an email

20. atomicjim

atomicjim TDPRI Member

What's the address on the email? I looked for one but didn't see it. I'll check my junk mail file.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.