8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. rittercu

rittercu TDPRI Member

Have you had a chance to install the pickups? Hopefully you are enjoying the bridge pickup.

2. big jimmy

big jimmy Tele-Afflicted

not yet.

3. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Ok so I have a 2003 8502 in absolutely perfect condition. Honey blonde. One thing: the previous owner installed vintage noiseless PU's. They sound great but they aren't the fabled 8502 PU's. It's an amazing guitar, but I am just not playing it. If I were to sell, what might a perfect 8502--with the original PU's --go for?

4. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

Did you sell the P/U's yet?

5. telemon1

telemon1 TDPRI Member

“If I were to sell, what might a perfect 8502--with the original PU's --go for?”

Anywhere between $900 and $1300 depending upon Condition.

6. TheRoman

TheRoman TDPRI Member

I missed one very important word :If I were to sell, what might a perfect 8502--WITHOUT the original PU's --go for?”

7. telemon1

telemon1 TDPRI Member

Whatever someone is willing to pay I guess (based on its legend status).

8. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

While it would still be a nice guitar, the value of an 8502 is mostly out the window. So in my mind it would be priced a couple hundred lower. Unless perhaps you had a higher- quality set of pickups (say Ron Ellis for example), then maybe about the same.

9. b_wade

b_wade TDPRI Member

Hey folks, I'm checking out a 2004 8502 this evening that I'm super interested in. The guitar has SD humbuckers in it with coil tapping switches and sadly the owner doesn't have the original pickups. Does anyone have original 8502 pickups for sale by any chance?

10. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Sorry to say, but those 8502 pickups are pretty tough to come by. There might be a chance that someone has a set here that they'd part with, but not likely.

BTW.....welcome to TDPRI!

11. b_wade

b_wade TDPRI Member

1B7DC5C9-AB74-4A35-896C-E637C46B0CE2.png
    Thank you! I bought a Custom Shop ‘51 Tele a couple of winters ago so I figured it was time to join.

As for the 8502: I just checked it out, finally got to feel the neck everybody’s been talking about. Great guitar, but for some reason I’m not 100% sold on it. SD Hot Rails with coil splitting (not coil tapping as I stated earlier as per the ad) have replaced the original pickups as you can see in the attached photo.

Seller said he’d sell it to me for $1100 CDN, it’s listed for $1300. I didn’t bring any cash with me so I’ve got the night to sleep on it. Thoughts anybody?

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  12. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

It's obviously still a nice guitar, but the charm of these guitars really lies in the original components, IMHO. I'll have to admit that I've modded mine with an additional middle pickup, but it's wired so that I can still obtain the original 3-way switch positions (2 & 4 get a Strat vibe). Plus, I can still return it to its original state if I want to.

At $1100 CDN, that roughly puts it at around $850USD, correct? That would be a decent price for this guitar in its original state, but I'm not sure if the mods would bring the value down or not. Of course, there's always the slight chance that you'll be able to find a pair of 8502 pickups at some point in time, too. Hopefully others will pipe in as well, but it has been a little quiet on this thread in recent months, though.

13. b_wade

b_wade TDPRI Member

$850 USD, that's right. The way this one is wired, if I can recall correctly, is as follows: third position is the neck, middle and first are both lead, with the the first position being a higher output(?), tone knob only affects the middle position, and then you've got the coil splitters to switch between humbuckers and single coils, obviously. I demoed it at the sellers house through a Laney head and some cab, but I'd really like to play it through my Fenders at home.

14. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Wow! That's kind of a funky wiring setup. I'd probably rewire it if it were mine. I'd probably look for some nice A3 single-coils, too.

15. b_wade

b_wade TDPRI Member

Yea it was a little extreme for me. I ended up not going for it after all, if I find one that’s all-original I might buy one down the line. My CS ‘51 does me just fine for the time being.

Thanks for chiming in, this thread has been going for ten years and you have a constant voice in it. Much appreciated!

16. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

You're welcome, and my pleasure!

It was probably a good idea to pass on this one. I do see 8502s come up for sale every now and then, so they are out there.

I guess this thread has been going on for a while. Funny, but my 8502 gets less playing time than my partscasters these days. I really should start playing it more often.

17. Jonburst

Jonburst TDPRI Member

Has anyone done a re-fret on theirs?
    I'm mulling it over, wouldn't mind a bit of a bigger fret to dig into and get under. I enjoy the room on a PRS Wide/Thick type neck/fret, and bigger than that is also nice.

I'm not selling mine ever, and I mess around with pups and wiring from time to time,
    but it is my only guitar, and the best Tele i've ever played. It's my soulmate guitar, to be honest, but that doesn't mean i'm precious with him.
    On the contrary, I feel like I can get stuck in and thrash around.
    Not averse to swopping out the pickgaurd for a black one with a middle pup either.
    I could keep the white gaurd with that beautiful lipstick, and try a P90 and strat middle, for example.

Wondering if it would take away from the feel, or add to it.
    How much of the enjoyment of that neck is coming from the frets, i wonder?

18. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

The stock frets are 6150 medium jumbos,perfect all around fret .
    If and when I change them I will definitely put in the same ones.

19. jwclark_SD

jwclark_SD NEW MEMBER!

OK...first post to this thread. After ages of looking I finally found and bought a mint 8502 (blonde). And I mean mint, all the way down to the protective film on the pick guard.

I may have overpaid ($1200), but after taking it home and plugging in I'm convinced it was worth every penny, and then some. I currently have four Teles, and have owned lots of others, and this one absolutely steals the show.

I can't say enough about this guitar - the neck, the weight, the tone, the look - pretty much everything. All the hyperbole about these things is totally on target.

20. TeleFunk Man

TeleFunk Man Tele-Afflicted

Congrats. They are really nice Teles. Please post some pics.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.