1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Telenut62

Telenut62 Poster Extraordinaire

Delta-Tone Switching....yes it's subtle.

2. Chasis

Chasis TDPRI Member

New guitar at home...

Hi, i just acquired this wonderful 8502....may i join the club?

Attached Files:

3. Chasis

Chasis TDPRI Member

another pic.

Attached Files:

4. Chasis

Chasis TDPRI Member

Serial number... From 2007

Attached Files:

5. tjnies

tjnies Tele-Holic

May I ask the weight? That was about the only complaint about the one I owned; it was 8.5#.

Sent from my iPad using TDPRI

6. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Just curious, but having admired some of the beauties that you folks have shown on this forum, I am wondering what the big - or small - difference is between these guitars and my 2010 Am. Standard tele? I believe the Am. Series and the Am. Standard are names Fender used at different times for these guitars, but are there any other significant differences?

I really have bonded with my 'Ash' Am Std and consider it a fine guitar. I am however seeing many common features between this guitar and the Am Series 8502 guitars. than I am seeing differences.

Are they perhaps one and the same thing, other than a name and model change?

Please take no offence as I feel that the 8502 series are fantastic guitars, and I rarely see them up for sale, but if mine is the same or similar then I can perhaps be happy with having something very close to the 8502 series.

My 2010 Am.Standard tele in Ash.

[​IMG]

7. blujaz1

blujaz1 TDPRI Member

I guess I better join the club. I've had a blonde 8502 for months now but never gotten around to snapping photos of it. Too busy playing it I guess. Only thing I've changed is the pickguard. It's a tortoise shell type. At around 8 1/2 pounds it's a little heavy but no complaints. The one thing I would change is the finish type as I'm more accustomed to nitro finished bodies on Tele's but on this one I consider it a minor detail. Fender would do well to reissue these. I'll try to get a couple of photos up in the near future.

8. Telenut62

The 8502 has a steel bridge plate, the neck would be totally different, it's a fatty. The modern vintage pickups are unique.

9. tonyj

tonyj Tele-Afflicted

Thanks Telenut62.

Never realised that the bridge plate on my American Standard tele was of plated pressed brass. Just checked mine. Guess what? I learned something new today. I think it's the only tele I own that doesn't have a steel bridge plate, although I do own a nice six saddle 'Kirn' that doesn't seem to have a steel bridge plate either.

The pickups on my Am. Std. tele are "American Tele" Single Coil, btw, rather than the 8502's 'Modern Vintage'.

Enjoy your 8502's folks ...... you '8502ers' really have nice guitars to enjoy!

10. Telenut62

NP, if you come across one grab it....but.....ya gotta like a fat neck. ;)

11. blujaz1

blujaz1 TDPRI Member

Does anyone know what the specs are on the 8502 pickups and if there's a way to match these pickups with an aftermarket or even a Fender pickup that gets close? I have another Tele besides my 8502 that I'd like to put these pickups in. It's an MJT white guard build with vintage style bridge so I'm sure it won't sound the same as my 8502 but I'd like to give it a shot anyway. I'm thinking I may have to have them custom made. Thanks

Last edited: Oct 18, 2015
  12. rich2k4

rich2k4 TDPRI Member

Unfortunately I am most likely going to be selling my 8502. It's ultimately not what I want. I am not one to have more than 1 of the same style guitar, and if I'm going to have 1 telecaster, it has to be a butterscotch blonde with black pickguard.

It's a 2003 honey blonde white guard. Pics are on the previous page. I would be looking for $1300 shipped. I won't be back in town till Sunday, but pm if interested.

13. The Pusher

The Pusher TDPRI Member

I have been lurking around here for a while and since I just picked up my second 8502 this morning in 2 tone burst, to match my blondie I picked up in 2009, I thought I should pipe up. Actually it's my first post too. Both are 2003 models and have all the case candy and documentation. One thing I noticed when I got them side by side is the round string trees are in slightly different spots on the blond it sits below the 3rd tuner on the burst is above the 3rd tuner. Anyone else notice this?

14. Telenut62

Like this?....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Could be a different assembler?

15. The Pusher

The Pusher TDPRI Member

Yes, very similar, probably a little closer to the 2nd tuner. I will post some pics tomorrow.

16. The Pusher

The Pusher TDPRI Member

Here is my application to the "Brotherhood"

Attached Files:

17. Telenut62

Hey cool, we're prob the only two in Australia who have both models ;)

18. The Pusher

The Pusher TDPRI Member

The Australian chapter!!:cool:

19. Homebrewron

Homebrewron TDPRI Member

Had a chance to give mine a workout on the weekend. Blues at Bridgetown, playing for the South West Blues Club.
    [​IMG]

20. BmC41

BmC41 NEW MEMBER!

new member to the tele club, scored a deal on a 2008 standard in natural ash, might have been played a couple of hours since being purchased in 2010. owner was selling it with a blues deluxe RI, i wanted the amp, but was able to get the guitar for a good price, since the owner was in hard times and selling off their stuff to move. I feel lucky.

Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.