1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

8502-American Ash Telecaster Club

Discussion in 'Guitar Owners Clubs' started by telemon1, Oct 15, 2009.

1. Tele Jr

Tele Jr Tele-Holic

Sorry to hear you are having problems with the hands Sarge, I hope you are feeling better.

I'm wondering how much your 8502 weighs, I think $900 is a very fair price for an 8502 now. They have almost disappeared from the market, I rarely see them available anymore. Imho the 8502 represents the all time high point of the American Std/Series Telecaster evolution. It introduced the modern vintage concept that has taken over the Custom Shop production now. The ferrous steel plate brass saddle bridge is still used as the top of the line CS modern 6 saddle bridge, howbeit with a slightly different design, but same materials. Duly notable none others have it. Expensive to produce and will not fit into the cost formula. The current Am Std offering is being propped up by having better pickups in it than previously, but the rest of the guitar, including the bridge with the cheap ass saddles, is at an all time low now imho. This makes the 8502 that much more worthy of it's place in history as a landmark of what the best of the Bill Shultz era was about.

I really like the sunburst ones and was sort of on the hunt for one until I bought a CS 52 NOS Tele a few months back.

My 52 NOS was highly modified at the factory to the point of almost being an 8502 clone.

2. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

I will weigh it tomorrow and get back to you, and yes its ashamed they don't make guitars like this. Now you need to go Customshop like you mentioned. I am selling one of my Customshop Strats. its a 1960 reissue, Sunburst color near mint. I have this listed for 2200 but have some wiggle room on that price

3. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I hate to ask a stupid question but how do I know if my 05 Am standard is a 8502 tele?

4. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

Go to page one

5. jwp2

jwp2 Tele-Holic

I take it you are referring to post #10? Ok, thanks.

6. Wozzerwozzer

Wozzerwozzer TDPRI Member

Hi all, is £950 expensive for a 8502 in the UK ? Would love it, not sure on the price though. There's minor damage to the finish too.....

7. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Does that convert to something like $1500USD? I'm sure every USA guitar is priced considerably higher in the UK, but that sounds a bit high, especially if it has any significant damage.

8. Wozzerwozzer

There is a crack in the paint around the edge of the horn. About 10 cm long and paint is lifted but not broken. It's around $1400, from what I've read I think it's a bit pricey, thinking more like £800/$1200 ??

9. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

Guitar is still for sale

10. Wozzerwozzer

Hi sgt tee,
    I think you may be too far for me to come and have a look at your guitar :)

11. Circuit Doctor

Circuit Doctor TDPRI Member

Hello to all,

So recently I've gotten fairly lucky finding a few 8502's for sale (3 total, 1 burst and 2 honey blondes) which amazed me. I've been looking for a number of years and I've only ever seen two others for sale. Anyway, I contacted Fender about the 3rd one I picked up hoping for a spec sheet, and on a whim I asked the rep if there was any way he could determine how many were made.
    To my surprise the response was "sure. give me a sec" the rep ran a report using the model number (one for each finish and after about a minute the response was stated very plainly that there were from 1500 to 1700 honey Blondes made total (including all years) and only 600 or so of the Tobacco burst finishes. as I understand it, the reason for the range as opposed to an exact number has to do with warranty replacements or repairs. At any rate, I'm even more pleased with my recent string of luck knowing how limited the production run was.

The post above caught my attention so I thought I'd reference it. I can't say how many American standard telecasters are made in a given year but I'd have to guess it's a number WAY north of the 383 per year average on the 8502's (1700 + 600 / 6 production years)

Now I'm even more on the lookout for these awesome examples of telecaster greatness!
    Enjoy!

Attached Files:

12. jim_pridx

jim_pridx Tele-Afflicted

Thanks for posting this, and congrats on finding the 8502s! So, I guess we can conclude that the 8502 isn't exactly an extremely rare bird, but certainly rare enough that they aren't all that easy to find. Funny, but at one time I was so enthralled with these guitars that I actually collected four of them, all of which were great guitars. If I'm not mistaken, the three that I sold all went to people who've posted on this thread at one time or another. I still have a 2006 honey blonde that's definitely a keeper.

13. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

The post for my Telecaster 8502, is for shipping to the lower 48 only, Sorry I did not add that to my post

14. alfema

alfema TDPRI Member

Thanks. The original pickups are good indeed but after a while I wanted to try something with more punch.

15. alfema

alfema TDPRI Member

Thanks. The original pickups are good indeed but after a while I wanted to try something with more punch.

16. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

Guitar is Sold

17. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

Guitar is Sold

18. sgt tee

sgt tee TDPRI Member

Guitar is Sold

19. frampo56

frampo56 TDPRI Member

HI WOZZERWOZZER I have an 8502 (pictured on page 30 here). I might sell it as I'm downsizing my collection- I would probably regret it but if you're interested I would be looking for around £1000. I am in Yorkshire but can deliver for fuel costs.

Cheers for now

20. BennyLee

BennyLee Tele-Meister

Here's my membership card, may I join the club?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.