1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

82-52 Tele Pickup Question

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by Hillcountry, Oct 24, 2020.

1. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Ok, so after gigging my 52 reissue (turns out the neck stamp is may of 82), I found the pickups too microphonic. For now, I have a Twisted Tele set in it...they are fine, but I probably prefer the pickups that were in it. I know the previous owner had messed with things (rout for center pickup and strat sized pickups) so it is possible that the pickups that were in it are not original.

When I got the guitar I had to repair the neck pickup because it had a broken coil - but it was right near the grommet so no harm no foul. Easy fix. I then wrapped the coil with teflon tape before reinstalling the cover. I should probably re-wax pot it.

Here are the measurements: Neck 7.0K ohms, Bridge 7.4K ohms. And the wires are cloth...not plastic. SO I am not sure what they are. Polarity seems to be south up - (attracts the red, north pointer on a compass). Neck is a gray bottom.

While internet hunting...the closest Fender set to those specs are the Custom Blackguard set. I will make another post with pictures... in about 5 min.

2. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Here are pictures.

Attached Files:

3. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Well reading Antigua Tele's posts...maybe I was wrong when I said Custom Blackguard...I don't know. These don't seem to match anything I can find. Just trying to figure out what they are.

I would have guessed a nocaster set, but the baseplate is not tinplate.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  4. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Well, I was messing around with the bridge pickup, and the base plate is only adhered to the pickup with the magnetism of the plate. It looks brass...but I guess it is steel? Should I melt some wax onto the bottom of the pickup and "stick" the plate on with that? Maybe that would solve my microphonic issue.

Sorry for all the questions/posts...but I figure you all are the experts.

I have one Telecaster...and now I feel a need for another...I think it is a problem. A good problem haha!

5. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Well. I shaved some wax off a candle, slid the shavings between the base plate and bottom of the pickup, put it under a lamp until the wax melted and my microphonics are gone. So that’s nice! Thankfully it is back together. Pulled from the guitar the pickups measured 7.1k for the neck and 7.6k for the bridge. All is back to normal...for now!!!

chrisr0712 likes this.
  6. Hillcountry

Hillcountry TDPRI Member

Practiced with it at gig volume. No more squealing. So I guess the baseplate was the problem (or a main one anyway). On to other projects!!!

7. G&Lplayer

G&Lplayer Tele-Meister

Just saw this, glad it worked out for you.

Hillcountry likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.