'81 Collector Series Telecaster

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by kharrison, Feb 4, 2011.

1. kharrison

kharrison TDPRI Member

What is the deal on these? Are they any good? How many made? Is 1k a fair price for one in excellent condition?

Thanks

2. silentactors

silentactors Tele-Meister

You may be talking about the International Series - came out in '81 I believe and featured some rarer colors... Monaco Yellow, Maui Blue, Sahara Taupe, Morrocan red (I think). These often time have a S8 serial #... and often sold as '78s but they are really '81s. Here is another thread about them:

http://www.tdpri.com/forum/telecaster-discussion-forum/81617-international-tele.html

If it is the international series - $1000 is a very good price. But play it and see if you like it - some can be extremely heavy etc... But alot of folks are asking in the $2000-$2500 range for these guitars.

also - pictures and serial # info will help identify the exact tele.

3. kharrison

kharrison TDPRI Member

I believe the serial number starts with a CS. Here is a picture....

[​IMG]

4. Texas Special

Texas Special Tele-Holic

That's a Black and Gold Tele. Very pretty and becoming collectable. I don't know about prices in the US, but in fair condition in the UK it would sell for £1000. They are actually very nice, but can fall foul to the period heaviness, I played one which must of been a good 11lb! Ouch.....

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.