1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

80's New Wave tone

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by Tatercaster, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

As a rule, A Flock of Seagulls did not use a drum machine. Lead singer Mike Score's brother Ali played drums, although sometimes he used electronic drums. However, they probably used a drum machine on "Wishing," the lead-off track/single from their second album.

I'm getting ready to poop out a new batch of recordings, so it should happen (relatively) soon.

2. TheGoodTexan

TheGoodTexan Super Moderator Staff Member Ad Free Member

Admin Post
    Two options for that (in my experience).

(1) Keep the amp super clean, and use a Boss DS-1 Distortion for 100% of your crunch. With one caveat - The only DS-1 that ever sounded good to me was the MIJ version. About 6 months before I sold my JC120, my MIJ DS-1 crapped out on me - so I bought a new one, thinking there were the same. They are not. Where ever the newer one was made, it was not the same sound at all. I'm generally not a snob about that stuff, but that's my experience with this one.

(2) Barely click the on-board distortion on - just click it on, then keep it turned all the way down. Then use a TS-9 or TS-10 with the controls pretty much maxed out.

Both of those worked for me. But again, I rarely used the JC120 by itself. I mostly used it as my clean amp, with an A/B set up, or slaved off my Marshall 1/2 stack.

3. FenderGyrl

FenderGyrl Poster Extraordinaire

I went into the local music store a few weeks ago and saw a Roland Jazz Chorus sitting next to the counter. I had never seen one in real [email protected] Cool looking amp. I asked if it was for sale, but it was only in for a repair. I should have asked if I could play thru it for a few moments!( Doubt I would have been allowed to though)

4. Flipped Mustang

Flipped Mustang Tele-Holic

A TS-9 works great with mine.

5. PoiDog

PoiDog Tele-Holic

Man, you're not kidding - '83 was a great year for 80's pop! :eek:

Love it!

6. Blazer

Blazer Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The more I think of this, the more I realize that there wasn't a universal "Eighties sound" and if you look at the replies here, the others confirm it because one says "a strat on the second pickup position" another says "A Rickenbacker through a Roland jazz chorus with the signal as clean as possible" while yet another says "Use the distortion on the Jazz chorus on a very mild almost inaudible level and then use a distortion pedal for grid."

There's also much variation in what people think the amount of chorus should be used, one says "All the way up so it warbles" and another says "make it shimmer, all lush and airy."

Anyway, if you want to nail eighties Chorus and you can't afford a Jazz Chorus THIS would be a good place to start.
    [​IMG]

It's also wrong to assume that with the coming of the Nineties all of that was done for, because Brian Adams still utilized the eighties production of Gated Drums, strat through a jazz chorus and use of synths in 1991.

7. Tatercaster

Tatercaster Friend of Leo's

I've never played a JC-120, but my Peavey Stereo Chorus has to be one of the best amps for that 80's pop rock tone.

8. rokdog49

rokdog49 Friend of Leo's

Man I love the eighties! Roxy Music!!!!!!!!!
    Clean Strat beauty. I play this stuff on mine all the time.

Love the guitar in this. Subtle and yet awesome

9. 4string

4string Friend of Leo's

Alright! Loving all this talk about the eighties, And since no one else mentioned Pat Benetar or Elvis Costello, let's not forget them :)

It was a great time for music in general. That's when Bob Marley introduced REGGAE, and yet another guitar style (not to mention the most AWESOME bass lines ever ;) )

Also loving hearing about Missing Persons. I was a big fan of Terry Bozzio when he was with Zappa, and still place him in the top 5 drummers of all time.

Edit: I know that reggae started in the late sixties/early seventies, but wasn't mainstream until the eighties.

10. Gautfrid

Gautfrid Banned

Bob had already introduced reggae to the masses in 1973 when he signed to Island Records with Catch A Fire. All his following albums in the 1970s - Natty Dread, Rastaman Vibration, Kaya, Exodus and Burnin' all went gold in the US. He was recording in the 60s with Trojan and Studio One.

He died in May 1981, so his work in the 1980s was unsurprisingly rather truncated. Uprising (1980), and Confrontation (1983), which was put together with unfinished and unreleased material after his death

I'm a bit of a Marley fan :cool:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.