80's MIA Strat Maple Neck spot Refinish

Discussion in 'Stratocaster Discussion Forum' started by teleforman, Dec 26, 2020.

1. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

I have a 1987 fender MiA Strat with a maple neck. In a few areas of the fretboard, the finish has worn away and the fretboard is discolored. I am not going to get too anal about this but I want to just refinish those areas where the finish is gone. Any ideas? what did they use as the original fretboard finish in that era? I looked on the Fender site but couldn't find what I was looking for. I heard minwax polyshades polyurethane works well. Recommendations? How many layers? How much time should I expect this to take? Thanks all.

2. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

How much is missing? Do you have a pic?

3. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I don't have an answer, but man.... that's exactly what I've been hoping would happen to my maple fretboards.

teleforman and Jakedog like this.
  4. SamIV

SamIV Tele-Holic

I owned an old MIM Strat that same
    thing happened to the neck. I took a razor blade and slowly scraped all the finish off the fingerboard. Also sanded the finish off the back. Put a few very light coats of hand rubbed poly on it. But it was a lighter color than the aged finish in the head stock that I left as factory.

teleforman likes this.
  5. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

All good responses. I may be in the minority but I do like the finished neck. Then again I haven't really played an unfinished neck for any amount of time. I will post a pic in a bit. Thanks for the replies folks.

6. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    teleforman and Jakedog like this.
  7. adjason

adjason Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

not much help here- I love honest player wear and I would not mess with it

SRHmusic likes this.
  8. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

Adjason, Too late... I messed with it. I felt I had to because the wear wasn't even. There was a noticeable bump where the old finish had worn off. If it was a smooth transition from bare wood to finish I would have just let it be. If I messed with it's mojo I will just steel wool it off. Thanks again to all for the input.

9. teleforman

teleforman TDPRI Member

10. Skydog1010

Skydog1010 Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Slightly south and east of where I wannabe
    well i would remove strings and remove the humps chemically or mechanically. Hold it is this a lacquer road worn Fender MIM neck?

Fender knew those necks were a mess a couple years ago, did they do anything, heck no, not for me, little ole nobody me got no attention whatsoever. Maybe the blokes I sold them too got some satisfaction - I'm kinda thinking the folks that bought the necks were gonna look at them rather than use them.

Back to the MIM Road Worn necks, I had the same problem, lacquer was in essence still wet, even after months, sold both of the neck my Tele and my Strat. I have a Strat body I'm gonna have to refinish this summer it's all messed up because the lacquer (had two generous coats - Black and a satin clear (I guess to make it look old)) was still wet (not finished curing), wood was soft and the guitar was so light I gravitated to it for almost two years - any who gonna paint it emerald green this coming summer and let the body bake in the attic for the entire summer. Gonna strat tearing it down soon and stripping and patch the dings, divots and gashes, smooth her up and maybe put a very thin coat of epoxy on it, mechanically prepare that epoxy coat to accept the lacquer and the first warm spell, off to the paint booth we go. I'll be tickled pink to have that little CV50's body back on my shoulder.

Later.
    SD

teleforman likes this.
  11. SRHmusic

SRHmusic Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Nice guitar, and very cool that it has wear from actual use (refreshing to see). I was going to suggest just smoothing it with micromesh papers so it feels better but leaving it generally as is. Please keep us posted on what works for you on the fingerboard touch up.

teleforman likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.