'80s Marshall Lead 20 - Anyone got experience with one?

Dismalhead

Doctor of Teleocity
Hey all,

Just watched a used budget amp comparison shootout on YouTube. One of the best sounding was an '80s Marshall Lead 20, which I believe is a solid-state combo version of a JCM 800. Anyone got or had one? Interested to know if it's worth seeking one out.

I've got other +/- 20-wattish tube amps, so this is more to add a bit of that Marshall sound to the stable than to cover any gigging or practicing requirement.

Thanks!

68goldtop

Tele-Meister
Hi!
Hey all,

Just watched a used budget amp comparison shootout on YouTube. One of the best sounding was an '80s Marshall Lead 20, which I believe is a solid-state combo version of a JCM 800. Anyone got or had one? Interested to know if it's worth seeking one out...
Sorry, no experience with the 20-Watt Model, but I used to own the "Lead 12", and I played it A LOT over a couple of years.
Mainly at home/home-recording. I got a bit tired of it after a (long) while, but I got some good sounds out of it!
I´d like to try one again to see how I like it now 👍

cheers - 68.

marshman

Poster Extraordinaire
I also never had a Lead 20, but a friend had a Lead 12 which rocked. In fact, I have a Lead 12 stack I picked up at a pawn shop over the summer which needs it's pots cleaned, but does 80s mid-gain rock-n-roll tones very well.

I had a 5510, which was a 50-ish watt 1x12 from the same series that always sounded better than I gave it credit for. It seemed a little quiet (which I now would happily accept) and I noticed that the power output was rated as '50 watts into 4 ohms' but the speaker in it was 8 ohm, wondered if that mattered. I never got a chance to A/B it, but every time I tried out the 90's DSL401 as an upgrade I felt sure that the 5510 sounded every bit as good.

I recently scored a Bass 20 from CL and it needs a tune up. I was simply hoping to use it as a bass amp for the acoustic living room jams I go to but it makes a lot of extraneous noise...could be it just doesn't get along with piezos.

Chud

Poster Extraordinaire
I've owned one since the early 90s and will probably never sell it. Bought it used in about 1993 I think. It's a fantastic amp, classic Marshall cleans and 80's JCM gain/distortion. Loud little sucker too. I've gigged and recorded with it numerous times. Every time I turn it on it puts a smile on my face.

IMG_1884.JPG

elihu

Doctor of Teleocity
I found a beat up one on evil bay a few years ago for $100.

I was the only bidder.

I had it cleaned up by a local tech and he showed me that the headphone jack was gunked up. Since it’s first in the circuit it adds a lot of noise downstream. It sounds fine now.

The Angle

Tele-Afflicted
A Lead 12 came up on eBay recently, from a nearby seller. I dropped out when the price shot north of $150 and kept climbing. Nowadays it seems you're likely to pick up a Lead 20 for less $ than a Lead 12, thanks to all the praise heaped on the 12s the last few years.

wildschwein

Friend of Leo's
I had the Lead 12 combo. It really did capture the Marshall sound in minature and sounded great outputted to a bigger amp. It was cool for practicing and recording and kept up at smaller/more intimate gigs. Even when I owned one in the early to mid '90s there was gossip in guitar mags at the time that Billy Gibbons used them for something so they have always been a bit hyped.

Last edited:

BackwaterJunction

Tele-Meister
Like others in this thread, I have a model from the same series - the Reverb 12. It's the Lead 12 others have described but with built in Spring Reverb.

It's always sounded good, but I recently swapped the stock speaker for a WGS Green Beret. Only took a couple of minutes and has made a world of difference - it sounds just like a Marshall should. I'm so pleased!

blues

Tele-Holic
I have the 30 watt 5010. Marshall got those solid state master lead series right.

Solid real plywood cabinet.

Get them now as the prices are on the rise.

Attachments

• 1 (800x597).jpg
    1 (800x597).jpg
    316.6 KB · Views: 9