1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

80s Japanese Squier Teles

Discussion in 'Squier Tele Forum' started by Thamapol, Jun 10, 2013.

1. Thamapol

Thamapol TDPRI Member

I have a 1983 Made in Japan SQ Series Fender Telecaster Squier Bullet. It is candy apple red with back & front cream binding and has a maple neck. Absolutely the best sounding, best playing and best looking Tele that I have played. If red is not your color, then you may disagree. I would not trade this for any USA made Tele. The 80's Squiers are very good. I have the original pick ups which give it the vintage twang and punch tones more than other USA, MIM Teles that I have owned and played. Ive seen these guitars for as low as $350 and as high as $600. I would not pay more than $400.

2. LittleSonny

LittleSonny TDPRI Member

I've had a JV '58 Strat (stolen) a JV '52 Telecaster which was an excellent guitar that I should not have sold but was forced to and a A '61 Custom Telecaster. The Custom Tele was also a nice guitar but was made way better by a Kinman av60 in the bridge and a Duncan Antiquity in the neck. I also found a set of threaded brass saddles which I also liked. My only complaint about any of these guitars was the poly finish. The '52 had the back of the neck stripped before I got it. I was going to have it refinished but never had a break from gigging long enough to get it done.

BTW, 20 years ago the Strat I paid the equivalent of $150 and the '52 the equivalent of about $175. JVs have become collectible and go for quite silly money. I'm discovering you can buy a 2nd hand AVRI for roughly the same, which I think is a significantly better guitar. I suspect the prices for the JVs have hit a plateau.

3. Wileyone

Wileyone Tele-Holic

There may be other people that do though....

I have a very early Squire labeled JV Tele which is a fantastic Guitar. Not sure what the pups are but they are oringinal and sound great. I've had 2 JV Strats but sold them when I found a 78 Springy Sound it is just a better Guitar in every way. Now the search for a nice Breazy Sound. God does it ever end??

4. Superc_1

Superc_1 Tele-Meister

I have a SQ tele with a low serial number that was made along with the JV's. I'd put this tele up against any tele fender ever made! Fantastic guitar in everyway. I use to play a original Black guard Nocaster so I know a great guitar when I hold one. Here's a picture.

Attached Files:

5. RevMike

RevMike Poster Extraordinaire

Had this baby since it was new in the mod 80's. I love this guitar more than all others combined. For many years it was my only electric. It has been my go to open G guitar for the last 15 years or so.

image-3629074668.jpg

6. 65 Champ Amp

65 Champ Amp Tele-Afflicted

Great guitars. I have an '83 Strat and an '85 Tele, both E series. The tele is BSB with a single ply white guard. It has a top loader bridge which I have grown to like a lot. My only complaint is the stock six pot metal barrel type saddles. One of these days I'll switch them for the bent steel or even a three barrel set, but it being a top loader, it's not easy/cheap to find ones that fit.

The only mods I've done have been to convert the controls to a 4-way ( following the Seymour Duncan instructions) and also reversed the control plate.
    In retrospect, the 4-way hardly ever gets used, so that when I built my first scratch built tele-style, I just used standard wiring.

7. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

1984 Fender Japan Squier Bullet Tele neck

What about these necks? Some folks seem to love them. Feels good in hand. Picked this one up for $95.00. Has a neck date of 09/12/84. (SQ5xxxx serial neck plate came with it) Looking for a loaded Tele body she can call home now..

Have had many MIJ Strats, own a JV Jazz Squier that I think is incredible, can't wait to have a functioning MIJ Tele.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  8. 69ChevyP/U

69ChevyP/U TDPRI Member

I would love to see a picture of your Squier Japan SQ Telecaster.

9. Randypttt

Randypttt Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Love to see some pics!

10. Muddslide

Muddslide Friend of Leo's

I owned a very early Japanese Squier Tele I got new in '82 or '83 and also a Japanese Squier P-bass made around the same time.

I've owned more Fender (and other clones/brands) Teles and P-basses than I can count over the years, and these were as good as any I've played or owned aside from a couple of pre-CBS Fenders I once had and the best Tele I ever owned which was a '73 Fender.

11. WildTele

WildTele TDPRI Member

I have a nice Japanese Squier but don't know what year it was made--when I took off the neck recently the markings were not legible. I think it might be late 70s but not sure when they actually made these? Does anybody have a link to the history on these with detailed info. I love the guitar and it is the closest to my old pre CBS '65 Tele. Translucent Cream colour body with maple neck and fingerboard, plus skunk stripe. Wiring has cloth insulation not plastic. Pickups sound great too.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.