1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

80's gear. A lament.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by cmm71, Oct 21, 2020.

1. green_henry

green_henry Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

I may need to take my Roland GP-16 down from the attic. I remember being dazzled by its stereo delay, but I haven't used it in at least 15 years. And, yes, I originally paired it with a Roland JC-77 (the 120 was way too much amp for me at the time).

2. Masmus

Masmus Tele-Meister

I used to run several amps some rack digitecs and a Roland dep5. I also had to run 3 noise gates to keep them all in line and quiet. There was definitely this processed sound that was popular at the time. One day I turned it all off plugged straight in and never looked back.

3. Audiowonderland

Audiowonderland Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Synergy, Kemper, Axe FX, all have rack gear. Its still with us...

4. fleezinator

fleezinator TDPRI Member

I only had this for my first ever gig as a freshman in high school

[​IMG]

but my older brother who is/was an 80s shredder was kind enough to hook me up with his rig. I have no recollection what was in the rack, since all i could do during our set was stare at this floor board, it's pink type face forever embedded in my brain.

[​IMG]

Skully likes this.
  5. MarkieMark

MarkieMark Tele-Afflicted

Really?
    Is there a market?
    I mean I have a couple, one like that and a variant.

One step away from the trash bin as far as I am concerned.
    Maybe I need to re-evaluate.

I'd consider a trade for.... Pretty much any modern gear. Or a maybe a couple of beat up old SM57/58s even.
    Or.. I'm also looking for a modest condenser mic.
    Make an offer.

6. Willie Johnson

Willie Johnson Tele-Meister

Bought a blackface Pro Reverb in 1992 for $400--beautiful sounding amp. It was one of those less-desirable, post-CBS ones, though ('66? '68?), so I figured it was a dime a dozen. It kept blowing reverb tubes, and rather than goint to the hassle of getting it repaired, I took it back for a refund. I took my cash to the less grimy, easier to deal with shop down the street and replaced it with...a KMD. Endorsed but not actually played by Bon Jovi's Richie Sambora! And pocketed $140 or so in the process! Lighter to carry with the 1x12" and solid state preamp, too!

SO STUPID
    SO STUPID
    SO STUPID

7. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Well we might now think that was terrible to pay so little for vintage guitars, and you might have at the time recognized that all those old guitars were superior, but as I recall my local guitar shop in the ‘70s, the owner loved Tweed Fender amps and had at least 20 of them for sale in all sizes.

Nobody wantedGrandpas old tweed amps, and nobody wanted Grandpas old beat up guitars.
    So why would a shop pay more for guitars they could not sell?

It was the kids shopping for arena rock spandex style gear that defined those prices, not the shops.

Remember also that many of those poor pitiful old guys selling vintage guitars cheap had gigged wearing a tuxedo and got their Strat refinished when it started looking beat up, because that was show business at the time.

Now buyers are so obsessed with vintage mojo that we pay as much as the price of a good guitar, to have a factory worker beat the crap out of a brand new guitar.

Times then vs times now?
    Apples to oranges.
    Buyers are in charge of value, even now.

In a way it was more sane then to pay lower prices for beat up guitars, and it’s less sane now to charge extra to beat up new guitars.

johnny k and Skully like this.
  8. cmm71

cmm71 Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

KMD...now there's a blast from the past.

fenderchamp likes this.
  9. Skully

Skully Doctor of Teleocity

Huh? Stuff is so much less expensive now.

10. fenderchamp

fenderchamp Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

I remember in the 80s, I had a musician amp with and EV speaker and a G&L guitar, but I knew so many guys with peavy bandits, and I was always so glad I didn't have one of those noise muddy crappy things. My cousin had a peavy T-60 and he was so happy to upgrade to an Ibanez roadstar. My buddy got a roadstar with s-s-s in about '83-84 and I remember realizing that I preferred single coil pickups. It took me a few years to get a Strat after that. I don't have my G&L or my music-man anymore though. I still have my highly modified old MIJ e-series Strat though. It's parked in it's case and as red as ever.

11. fenderchamp

my buddy still has his KMD @cmm71

12. fenderchamp

Luke was reputed to have infamously bad tone back in the day too.

13. fenderchamp

I would totally concur, but I think the rat and the reverb pedal could be skipped as well.

14. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Which player sounds best? Subjective I know, but Lukather's guitar just seems to sink into the mix.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.