8 pound body options?

Discussion in 'Other T-Types and Partscasters' started by MONKEYDOG, Oct 23, 2018.

1. MONKEYDOG

MONKEYDOG TDPRI Member

I picked up a cabronita style (ash) body on the cheap for a future build. Unfortunately, when I got it and weighed the thing it hit the scales right at 8 pounds. Yikes. Add another 3 pounds or so for neck and hardware and we would be talking some serious heft. Aside from the weight, the body is well constructed and quite nice. I suppose I could drill under the pickguard. Maybe tummy and forearm cuts (which would take some work). Not sure if that would make enough difference. Suggestions for how to approach this?

2. ebb soul

ebb soul Poster Extraordinaire

It could lose 1/8 thickness via router or bandsaw. Roasted necks are lighter.

guitrr likes this.
  3. TeleTown

TeleTown Friend of Leo's

Smugglers rout, very easy to do. Ive done 3 and it helped out enough to feel a difference.

GreatGaudy, Fiesta Red and MONKEYDOG like this.
  4. 4pickupguy

4pickupguy Poster Extraordinaire

It would be more trouble than its worth IMO. I cannot abide a heavy guitar because of my back and 8lbs is really heavy. She might just tip the scales at 12lbs fully dressed!! But, people play Les Pauls all night long and survive. Buy a really nice, extra wide strap like the Paul guys do. Sounds like there may be alot of moisture in the wood still. A couple of weeks in a dry box might help there. You could go nuts, ‘smugglers cut” all but a strip down the middle as suggested above to just past the bridge and bond a nice looking top on her. Would be an opportunity to put an f-hole and make her a thinline if you are into them. Good luck!

nojazzhere likes this.
  5. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

Nope. Nuh-uh. Nuke it from orbit. 8 pounds for a tele body is absolutely ridiculous. Of course you can technically create a guitar out of it, and the smuggler's rout would help. But lordy, 8 pounds? The heaviest bodies I've ever made, out of bought off the shelf blanks, were a touch over 4 pounds.

4pickupguy and guitrr like this.
  6. DrPepper

DrPepper Tele-Afflicted

Sell it cheap, cut your losses. Get a new body, specify "sort for light weight"...

Chunkocaster and guitrr like this.
  7. lumberjim

lumberjim TDPRI Member

Tummy cut. Or... you could drill in the top/left side with a 3/4" forstner bit to create a cavity about 4" long and 3" deep, leaving a 1/8" lip recessed an 1/8". Bend a thin bit of ash to make a cover. Fill the cavity with helium. Should take about 11 lbs of weight off if you use good helium.

Sorry, I'm feeling smart as$ey this morning.

This guy does some cool carving, and about 9 minutes in you see a cavity like I was half kidding about. You could keep extra picks and strings in the body compartment.... Or something fragrant and green that rhymes with tweed.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  8. Widerange Hum

Widerange Hum Tele-Holic

That boy got a doodle pad on his head.

sleazy pot pie likes this.
  9. Brokenpick

Brokenpick Tele-Afflicted

Hang onto it, and get it X-rayed. Clearly that piece of ash came from The Wilderness, and has a few minie balls embedded within.
    Old growth ash. Mid 1860's for sure. Civil War enthusiasts will pay dearly for it.

10. D_W_PGH

D_W_PGH Friend of Leo's

Growing up in Gettysburg, that's no joke. All one has to do is look up "bullet in wood, civil war" and you'll see some really obscure things.

https://www.gettysburgmuseumofhisto...ulps-hill-war-log-bullets-in-wood-gettysburg/

11. Chunkocaster

Chunkocaster Poster Extraordinaire

I aim for half that weight if buying a tele body.
    I'd sell it.

12. Asmith

Asmith Friend of Leo's

maybe chamber it and add a top

fasteddie42 likes this.
  13. noah330

noah330 Friend of Leo's

rout out the whole thing and put a top and back on it.

14. trapdoor2

trapdoor2 Tele-Afflicted

As above, I'd convert it to a thinline. Nothin' sez is has to have an F hole.

I guess that is technically "chambered" innit?

15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

If I were me I'd just do the build and see how it turns out. With a used body, all the holes are in the right places and the build should be quick. I might end up with a great player no matter what the weight was. I've done this and ended up with a good guitar, but then again I don't have problems with a heavier guitar.

16. MONKEYDOG

MONKEYDOG TDPRI Member

Thanks for all the feedback. If I can get it down to ~10 pounds total build, I'd be fine with that. My G&L Legacy is a boat anchor but one of my all time favorites. I may have to shelve this one for a bit. Sounds like a lot of work if I decide to give it a shot. It's a shame, as the body looks really nice
    . IMG_5765.JPG

17. FenderLover

FenderLover Friend of Leo's

I'd build it too. My heaviest Tele is 9lb 4oz, and that's after belly and forearm cut. P-90's though, and it's one of my favorites.

18. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

I have chronic back problems, and have done numerous weight reduction projects.

Most of them were on basses, which offer more scope for shaving/hollowing.

If you want a 10lb build, most of the chub is going to have to come off the body.

Lightweight hardware will save you 8-10 ounces at most. A skinny-ass roasted maple neck will net you another few ounces, but only if that works for you.

A smuggler’s route under the pick guard won’t do much, especially since it’s inadvisable to remove material directly under the string path. Ditto for forearm and tummy cuts.

You can shed a surprising amount of weight by thinning a body and tapering the edges all the way around. If you keep the overall shape of the face of the body, it will still look like a Tele to an audience. It will also be more lively and resonant, while still sounding like a solid body. I shaved about 3lb off a P-Bass this way.

However, Tele purists will hate you forever.

If you want to keep it looking like a stock Tele, the best option would be to slice the top off, and do a large two-sided chamber- just a center log, with a thin rim around the outside.

Do you have access to a large industrial bandsaw for re-sawing? If so, you could keep the original top, to preserve the look.

If you wanted a unique custom look, you could add a contrasting veneer between the top and back, just the thickness of the material lost to the saw cut. From the side, it will look like an inlaid stripe.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2018
  19. srolfeca

srolfeca Tele-Meister

To be honest, just thinking about all that work makes me tired.

Why not sell the body, and get a lighter one?

20. MONKEYDOG

MONKEYDOG TDPRI Member

Sound advice. In good conscious, I'd rather not pawn off this problem on someone else, though. I only paid $50 for it, so not out too much.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.