1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

'74 ES-335

Discussion in 'Other Guitars, other instruments' started by charlie chitlin, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Dan German

Dan German Poster Extraordinaire

Holy moley. Now that is a thing.

charlie chitlin and Fretting out like this.
  2. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

The pick guards on Gibsons( Pauls, hollow and semi-hollow etc.) remind me of those facial coverings that women have to wear in some parts of the world. I like to put them away for safe keeping and let all of the beauty shine.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021 at 9:06 PM
    nojazzhere likes this.
  3. Nightclub Dwight

Nightclub Dwight Tele-Afflicted

Bathing suits?

MickM and Greggorios like this.
  4. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

Great looking guitar! I love 70s 335s - I have several 335 family guitars from the 60s but my favourite remains a '79 355, it's got a magic to it that guitar.

The nut width for most ES models was changed from 1 11/16th to 1 9/16th in 1965 and reverted to 1 11/16th in 1978. In both changeover periods it didn't happen at the start of the year and some models changed later than others, so '65s and '78s can be either. According to a recent Tony Bacon book the 355 changed back a little earlier than the other two main variants, around '76, but I've not been able to back that up myself.

However, there's a few factors that make it seem more confusing than it actually is. Firstly, Gibson's tolerance for fingerboard widths was about a 16th of an inch, so you can find guitars that are a 16th wider or narrower in any era - that means a lot of them in the narrow nut era are 1 5/8" and a fair few are even narrower (my '69 330 is more or less 1 1/2" at the nut). In particular, there are a lot of 1 5/8" nut guitars from '64-'66 leading many to believe there was a transitional period with 1 5/8" intentionally used, but there's no real evidence to this and they overlap with the other two. A 16th really isn't much when few of your customers are actually measuring them anyway - if you're truing up a fingerboard blank on a belt sander it's the difference between sanding up to the edge of a pencil line and going most of the way through it - so I'm pretty sure this was just the nature of making fingerboards fast in a factory environment. Those '64-'66 guitars could easily just be one employee in the fingerboard department with a particular technique.

In addition to that, not every model changed in '65 - the Byrdland and ES350T were already 1 5/8" nut width and didn't change, some of the upper end jazz boxes remained 1 11/16". Other later models, including the Les Paul reissues in '68, were introduced with 1 11/16" nut widths, hence a few early guitar history books saying all Gibsons reverted to 1 11/16" in '68. So that creates a level of confusion as to what changed when.

But, broadly speaking if it's an ES335, '66-'77 it will be 1 9/26" give or take a hair, a year either side it could be either one and outside of that era it will be close to 1 11/16".

2manyteles and fjblair like this.
  5. Guitarteach

Guitarteach Doctor of Teleocity

Shhhh... don’t tell everyone about the secret of great Gibsons with great pickups.

i have a 1972 345.. all still original. I’ve had it nearly 40yrs myself and its well gigged. Your’s makes mine look like its been left in a dumpster though. Really needs a clean and polish.

Recording some Stax numbers with it today.. it just nails that vintage soul sound. The T tops are amazing pickups.. manage to be both warm and clear but never clanging. Love ‘em. PAFs vibe without the $$$

The neck is marginally slimmer - I’ve never measured it but it is nothing as slim as a similar vintage SG that was unplayably thin.

07A987D9-D15C-4D04-8767-5A04BA30071B.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021 at 7:22 AM
    2manyteles, MickM, Dan R and 3 others like this.
  6. tah1962

tah1962 Friend of Leo's

Beautiful guitar!!

7. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

I can just imagine how it smells too (in that case)... hints of sweetness and muskiness...

charlie chitlin likes this.
  8. Chevalier

Chevalier TDPRI Member

Beautiful guitar Charlie, and in amazing condition... had an ES 340 from the same early 70s era ('71 see pic )... another guitar I wish I hadn't sold!

340.jpg

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021 at 9:29 PM
    MickM and nojazzhere like this.
  9. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

Beautiful! That guitar is pristine. I like the trapeze bridge. Great score, Charlie.

10. charlie chitlin

charlie chitlin Doctor of Teleocity Silver Supporter

I'm still not sure about Les Pauls.
    I've found a couple on Reverb that claim to have a "59 neck" in 1971...like mine.
    I'm also noticing a serious scarcity of '71 LP Standards.
    Mine is a routed Deluxe, but it doesn't seem to be so much of an oddball with the wider nut.
    I'd bring it up on a LP forum, but I was banned from one and denied membership to another! :cry::cry::cry::lol::lol::lol:

jayyj likes this.
  11. Dan R

Dan R Poster Extraordinaire

That's funny, Charlie. Those LP people are an odd bunch, no offense to anyone. They are very opinionated.

You must be shelling out some long green for vintage Gibby's like a '74 ES-335 or '71 Les Paul.

12. Greggorios

Greggorios Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

A real beauty. Congrats.

13. jayyj

jayyj Tele-Afflicted

My two Les Pauls are a '70 Professional (the goofy Les designed guitar) which is 1 11/16" and a '74 Deluxe which is 1 5/8". I'm no expert on them but I don't recall ever seeing one that was as narrow as 1 9/16". I only really got into Les Pauls in the last few years and they're still not an everyday guitar for me so I haven't paid the same ludicrous attention to small details I have with 335s over the years!

14. charlie chitlin

Revolving door.
    I sold some nice stuff and filled in the gaps ;)
    The '71 Lester is routed with a mistake that leaves a gap next to the bridge pickup, drilled for a mini toggle, Schallers, bumps, buckle rash...so it sure wasn't collector-type money...but it's just so killer, I couldn't say no. A great road warrior.

MickM and Dan R like this.
  15. charlie chitlin

I saw a guy last summer getting some killer tones with a Professional...I think...that's the one with the low impedance pickups with no pole pieces, right?
    It was a gold top...not a "Recording".

jayyj likes this.
  16. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

Pics (look fake) or it didn't happen!

How in heck can it be so clean???

17. charlie chitlin

Here's another.
    My camera isn't do great...there's some checking but, aside from that, it is amazingly clean.
    The back is as good.
    Not even worming. IMG_20210108_180423.jpg

MickM and telemnemonics like this.
  18. MickM

MickM Poster Extraordinaire Platinum Supporter

Good idea to keep a pair of crutches handy for any fool who might attempt to take an unauthorized walk with that guitar. Thinking ahead, I like that!

charlie chitlin likes this.
  19. charlie chitlin

Remnants of last year's knee replacement.
    I can't wait to give the knee AND the 335 a workout onstage.

MickM likes this.
  20. charlie chitlin

I don't know how you get a guitar with all that air in it to be such a boat anchor, but I sure have found more like that than not. When I pull this one out by the case handle, it always surprises me. Oh, yeah...it's light!
    My #1 Tele for years was 9.5!

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.