74/75 Telecaster; An Unusual One

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by timbo86, Apr 2, 2019.

1. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Bro, pics!! Come on man! You can’t possibly expect us to believe you actually own them without posting pics.

2. skunqesh

skunqesh Tele-Meister

so. many. red. flags.

I'd want much more detailed info - pop the hood, lift the guard, back of the pups, neck butt, pot codes, close up pics, etc etc

I agree with posts above - the cut out for the wrhb looks decent, but amateur. No screw holes to adjust the height? hmm..

But the first thing that throws me off is whenever anyone states "It was a custom order, one of kind" etc. my spidey sense starts tingling.

El Tele Lobo likes this.
  3. EnjoyGuitar

EnjoyGuitar TDPRI Member

IMG_0186.jpg IMG_0187.jpg Nubs, this one is for you. My all original 74 lefty Fender Strat. With original grey bottom staggered pickups. Electroncs/pots untouched. Notice birthmark on 18th fret.

Antoon, Nubs and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  4. Nubs

Nubs Tele-Afflicted

Well done sir! I salute you for those luscious pics! Omg my heart!

Thanks for sharing! Such a desirable guitar for us southpaws!

5. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

I find the story plausible. Perhaps the owner wanted one of those cool new Telecaster Customs, which may not have been available left handed at the time. And the store said "No prob, I can fix that for you!"

rob2 likes this.
  6. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

Well thank you for this,always like learning more about this era,thats a useful thing to know!
    Well thank you for this,always like learning more about this era,thats a useful thing to know!..that Strat is tops!....do all your lefty's just have "Fender" decals without model name,tiny patent nos and contour body etc?

7. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

No way the Fender factory installed that WRHB in that manner. It's direct mounted, for Christ's sake. Look at the rout in the pickguard; it doesn't look factory. Fender didn't do it that way. They hung their WRHBs from the guards with adjustment screws, and the pickups fit the pickguard routs better.

If it actually did get bought that way brand new, then it's a dealer modification.

8. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

Yes from 1969 till well into the 70s sb was a custom finish (pretty much any color but blond was custom)

Here is my 1972 in oly white

[​IMG]

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. EnjoyGuitar

EnjoyGuitar TDPRI Member

I believe all strat lefties decals were done this way up through '75. In '76 is when they started adding the Stratocaster name as well. But I'm not 100% certain.

rob2 likes this.
  10. RodeoTex

RodeoTex Poster Extraordinaire

Big fake.
    Cool, but when did WRHBs ever get body mounted?
    All I've ever seen are mounted in the pickguard.

11. vintageampz

vintageampz TDPRI Member

It's a FAKE.

From late 1960's to mid 1970's Fender made models of the Telecaster with Seth Lover designed Humbuckers specifically for Fender. Models that had the "SL" Humbuckers were the Telecaster Thinline and "Custom" (not with body bindings) and the Fender "Telecaster" Precision Bass (1970's only). NO Telecasters that had the Seth Lover Humbuckers ever looked like that imposter. (See attached photo's from my collection).

First off none of the SL Humbucker models had a Telecaster "Standard" pickguard, secondly the Seth Lover HB was attached and leveled with 4-screws - yours has NONE exposed. Most of the Seth Lover HB's have Fender in script pressed into the cover.

Sorry, but yours is as pretty bad fake.\

I worked at Fender 1974 - 1999, a Luthier and repair and restore Vintage instruments of all brands at my shop.

Examples of real vintage Fender Telecasters with Seth Lover Humbuckers. - 1) 1968 Thinline, 2) 1973 Telecaster Custom, 3) 1976 Telecaster Precision Bass.

1968 Fender thinline 2-Fender Seth Lover HBs.jpg 1973 Fender Telecaster Custom S-HB.jpg

Fender Telecaster P-Bass 1976 front.jpg

RodeoTex likes this.
  12. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

I do enjoy reading this threads, but I don't think the term "fake" is appropriate. I don't buy the whole dealer / factory modded as a special order story, but most of those parts are clearly real of that era. We are also talking about a nearly 50 year old instrument that could have been modified at any point in its life and if they were done far enough back, I call that a vintage modification and still valuable.

I guess my point is that there is no way to be 100% certain what the truth is with gear like this and those stories are part of what makes a piece of gear really interesting to me. I have an amplifier head that was rumored to have been built by Seth Lover in his garage based on a blackface Bandmaster. I investigated the story and found that the owner did live 2 blocks away from Seth in '80's, showed me picutres of Seth attending his backyard bbq on the 4th of July, but nothing that says he actually built this amplifier. I turned the amp head over to a man with 40 years experience as a Fender repair tech who told me that although there were no markings of any kind to support the claim, all the parts were period correct for '64 and looked factory installed to him. That is where I got my quad 6V6 Bandmaster and although the story is probably all BS, it still intrigues me to the point that I recite the story to anyone who sees it and that makes it valuable to me.....although I only paid $800 for it.

So, maybe this telecaster is just a modified vintage telecaster, but maybe it really is a unique custom build by either Fender or one of their dealerships? As long as you weren't going to be paying a premium price for the story, I say buy it for the story and enjoy what looks to be a cool instrument either way.

RodeoTex, marc2211 and 2 Headed Goat like this.
  13. agogetr

agogetr Tele-Meister

a peek under the guard is all you really need, the guitar probably rings real nice. i would never pull the neck just to look at a date. its plain to see what you have. what are you paying 2k? no real risk here. id snag it and play it.

timbo86, 2 Headed Goat and Milspec like this.
  14. timbo86

timbo86 TDPRI Member

The guitar is having a once over tomorrow afternoon so I will have photographs of the inside of the guitar then.

Its definitely a real fender tele and the pickup was most probably installed when it was purchased by the shop it came from.

The owner has no need to make up any weird stories of her buying it to hide its authenticity. I have pictures of her playing it 30-40 years ago so i know she is the original owner. She also has the original bill of sale so yeah its 100% a real fender owned from new by her :)

Yeah price is around £2k and I know its going to sound good, I'm really excited to get it and start playing it.

2 Headed Goat and RodeoTex like this.
  15. Milspec

Milspec Friend of Leo's

Sounds like you found the guitar for you then...congrats!

16. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

I say go for it!

17. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

I would doubt the HB is a factory job, but if that’s an original WRHB from the 70s, the rest checks out and the routing’s neat, looks like a good guitar as long as you can get it for modded price.

Antoon likes this.
  18. 3-Chord-Genius

3-Chord-Genius Poster Extraordinaire

I know nothing about vintage guitars or prices. But what I do know is that guitar looks mighty fine!!!

scottser likes this.
  19. tap4154

tap4154 Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

Since it was a custom order perhaps it was specified to be a body-mounted HB like the stock SC neck pickup? Maybe they didn't have any lefty PGs with a radiused HB opening and no holes, so one was made from a standard lefty PG, and the square hole cut in the factory (perhaps they were normally outsourced?).

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  20. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

I read it as a custom order the buyer made with a music store for a LH Tele with a humbucker in the neck...the shop completed the order to her satisfaction by adding a wide-range to the neck and removing the single coil.The quality of the work doesn't look in any way factory but "average '70's repair/sales/owner/dogsbody" i.e not as good as the average amateur nowdays.
    Thus its "fake" in that its not as it left the factory.
    Why a wide range not the Gibson style more typical of the period?...why mounted to the body?...maybe the shop discussed this or not...there wasn't the same fuss over details back then,a lot of Top 40 players bought by price point,not even brand.This was probably quite a pro order back then...though the execution might not be overly impressive by our standards.
    Neater than what Pete Townshend could manage at the time though and he'd been fixing guitars for a while by then.... Petes SG 188776 cascamite repair 3.jpg

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.