73 Volvo ES1800 I won't be buying.

Discussion in 'Bad Dog Cafe' started by BobbyZ, Nov 3, 2017.

1. viking

viking Friend of Leo's

The B18 came on the market in 61 , the B20 in 68
    You calling these engines quirky or un reliable ??
    They will eat a water pump per 100k, if you are unlucky , and the cam gear will get noisy fast , but run forever
    I think these engines are more like completely bulletproof.... Comparing them to engines from the same time manufactured in Britain or the US....no comparison , IMO

RomanS, dogmeat, BobbyZ and 1 other person like this.
  2. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

I remember picnics at Vasa Park when I was a kid;there were
    always a few Swedish cars.
    My dad called the Saabs~sad sobs, that was in the days when
    they had 2 stroke engines...
    Mostly folks had a Ford or Chev~but my uncle Rooney always had
    Cadilacs~he was beyond cool!

3. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

4. LeftyAl

LeftyAl Friend of Leo's

Crazy how the bidding goes when it getting down to the wire. It does say that the reserve has not been met. I could have read that wrong though

5. CK Dexter Haven

CK Dexter Haven Friend of Leo's

Local dealership had one advertised a few years ago, bought here, serviced here etc. They would never give a price, if you asked you had to fill out a bunch of stuff so they could call you once a week to try & sell you something else. It was actually kind of rough, what my dad use to call a "30 foot car".. looked good from 30 feet away. Older repaint, original interior w/ "patina". Eventually it leaked out that it belonged to a tech, and they were simply using it to gather names & get some foot traffic in, no intention of selling.

6. acstorfer

acstorfer Tele-Holic

Holy krap you have a cool mom!

7. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

No, the motors are much better than average, but so is a Chrysler slant 6. I'm talking about people who didn't do enough oil changes and used lousy oil and kept driving when the vehicle was overheating or tried to maintain 75 mph even though he couldn't get the car out of 3rd gear. Vehicles with crazy high amounts of miles on the original valves, oil pump, and bearings. The replacement engine was just a transplant - not a decent rebuild.

dogmeat likes this.
  8. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

I never saw the "reserve bid" thing.
    Doesn't matter it went way over the $1,500 I was thinking right now.
    It's not that nice when you're up close. Floors look ok but there is a rusted out cross member. Only the last body knows how much Bondo he put in. The seats are ripped and worn under the "sheepskin" covers. Wires hang down from the dash. It'd listed with a 4sp but those came standard with an M41 equipped with a J type overdrive. I looked it's got the OD but apparently the seller is unaware of that feature!
    Basically it looks good in pictures but really needs some time and money put into it.
    For 6K you're way better off spending a few grand more and getting one from a knowledgeable owner that's kept the car in decent condition.

9. teleman1

teleman1 Tele-Afflicted

The Chevy II. Wasn't it called the Chevy II Nova? We had one in the 60's and I loved that car, I was 8-9 years old. Had a blue color.

10. boris bubbanov

boris bubbanov Tele Axpert Ad Free Member

From '62-'69, only the top of the line Chevy II was a "Nova". The Nova name seemed popular, so eventually GM dropped the Chevy II moniker and just started calling them all Novas.

The same thing, more or less, happened with the Chevelle morphing into the Malibu.

To me, these were all about what condition they were in when you drove 'em. Had a girlfriend with a sparkling new condition '63, gold two door, and it performed very well. I felt like it outhandled her Mom's '66 Malibu. But I also remember later being hired by a friend to do interior demolition on both sides of a shotgun house, and he wanted me the use his '70 model Nova that was technically newer, for the errands. The rough use and New Orleans' bad roads had reduced this '70 to a pile of junk - awful car. And my cousin's boy has a '66, mild restoration, and it is really nice. You gotta take care of things like these.

11. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

Chevy II came 1962 with models 100 (4-cyl/ 6-cyl), 300 (6-cyl) and 400 - as "Nova".

12. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

The body is an Italian design by Ghia. Stand beside a Volvo P-1800 and hold your hand in front of your face so you only see the car from the rear quarter windows on back. You’ll see that it looks just like a Volkswagen Karmen Giha, but with a bit more fin over the fenders.

13. SecretSquirrel

SecretSquirrel Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

For years I had a 1970 Volvo 164, my favoritest car I've owned.

RomanS and BobbyZ like this.
  14. musicalmartin

musicalmartin Poster Extraordinaire

In the mid 60's I saw a maroon gullwing 300SL Merc parked in a side street with a 350 quid ono sticker.It was a lot of dough then but think if you just got it and stuck it in garage . Even though I was just a teenager i knew it was something special mainly as I had just made a AMT kit of it .Even that is now worth money .

BobbyZ likes this.
  15. archetype

archetype Fiend of Leo's

I got a ride in a gullwing when I was in high school. It was much bigger in person than it looked like in pictures. Redlined, it did 60 MPH in 1st gear.

musicalmartin likes this.
  16. dougstrum

dougstrum Tele-Holic

[QUOTE
    Doesn't matter it went way over the $1,500 I was thinking right now.
    It's not that nice when you're up close. Floors look ok but there is a rusted out cross member. Only the last body knows how much Bondo he put in. The seats are ripped and worn under the "sheepskin" covers. Wires hang down from the dash. It'd listed with a 4sp but those came standard with an M41 equipped with a J type overdrive. I looked it's got the OD but apparently the seller is unaware of that feature!
    Basically it looks good in pictures but really needs some time and money put into it.
    [/QUOTE]

Rust is like an iceberg~what you see on the surface is just the tip!
    Pics are nice but taking it apart really tells the story...

BobbyZ and boris bubbanov like this.
  17. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

"Rust is like an iceberg~what you see on the surface is just the tip!"

That's the sad truth! Expecially in Minnesota and other rust belt states. People complain about the salt that goes on the road every winter. But you ought to hear them complain when the roads are icy.

The Chevy II. Those things didn't fare well in road salt. Guy bought about a 64 when I was in high school, so about 1982. Thing was nothing but duct tape and Bondo. No idea how many miles were on it but it burnt oil like a 40,000 mile Vega.
    The early 60s Nova one with the 327 was something else. Lousy brakes, crappy handling but really fast !

18. jarpat

jarpat Tele-Meister

For years my dream car was "red 1962 convertible Impala". (A friend had a black 4-door -62 bel air, when I was young). My wife almost ruined my dreams one day - she said (about the Impala); "Let's get one..." I was like.. "Sh*t, what would I dream about if I had one..?" Well, that dream "almost" got true then with that Chevy II. If I'm ever going to get me(/us) another old car again, it's got to have a V8 and automatic tranny. The only problem with this idea is that my wife wants a car that's ready to drive and I want a car to "lie under" and fix and paint and so on.

So I guess we'll be getting two cars, when that day arrives...

dougstrum likes this.
  19. dogmeat

dogmeat Tele-Afflicted

my first car was a 122 Volvo in '66. they (Volvo) were GREAT cars, I owned 6 or 7 at least. SAE wrench sizes, all parts interchanged, etc. The 1800 was pretty dang sporty and the overdrive tranny took great advantage of the engine. the really big problem with the 1800 (unlike other Volvos) was the unibody construction. rust = death. if clean and there is no rust, its worth 15k maybe more. they haul buttox for an 1800/2000 engine

BobbyZ likes this.
  20. flyingbanana

flyingbanana Poster Extraordinaire

BobbyZ and telleutelleme like this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.