73 twin silverface

Discussion in 'Shock Brother's DIY Amps' started by duffer426, Jul 19, 2019.

1. duffer426

duffer426 TDPRI Member

have a silverface twin reverb, that when chopsticking the componets I notice when I tap the eyelet/fiberboard the tap can be heard through the speaker. Is this a ground issue? thanks

2. corliss1

corliss1 Friend of Leo's Platinum Supporter

Probably not? Sometimes the boards themselves can become conductive, but it's much more likely you're moving a specific wire a bit, likely in the preamp. I'd try and tap each wire gently to see if you can reproduce it like that.

D'tar and bblumentritt like this.
  3. D'tar

D'tar Friend of Leo's

Cold joints can sound like a snap, crackle, pop;)(or any other arrangement of sounds). I had a Pro reverb that would produce noise through the speaker while tapping the board. Turned out to be a bad joint in the filter housing.

4. robrob

robrob Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

Probably a microphonic component such as a cap is being vibrated when you tap the board.

5. schmee

schmee Poster Extraordinaire

It's not uncommon at all. But can also be an indication of something going bad. Try pre tubes first. If a pre tube is microphonic (very common) it can make much of the board microphonic too when tapped.

robrob likes this.
  6. BobbyZ

BobbyZ Doctor of Teleocity

Just for fun really check out that resistor that sits inline with the length of the board. That one can get loose when the board warps.
    I'm voting on a bad connection.
    If you haven't already done all the electrolytics, now would be a good time.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.