73 Telecaster Deluxe Help

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by layne, Dec 5, 2012.

  1. layne

    layne TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    7
    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO
    I recently acquired an original 73 Tele Deluxe. The wiring was in pretty bad shape and it didn't work. Most everything appeared to be original, except the volume pots had been replaced. So I replaced all four pots with 1M audio CTS pots, retaining the original blue .022uF tone caps.

    I took careful note of how it was wired, and rewired it accordingly... but I'm not sure if it was correct to begin with. Now it works, but the volume and tone controls are not behaving how I would expect, so I'm not sure if it's wired correctly. It's almost as if the audio taper is backwards, because I lose over half my volume between 8 and 10. Also, I get almost no tone response until I turn past 2, then it rolls off all the highs at once... definitely not a smooth volume or tone taper. Is this normal for a vintage Tele Deluxe, or is there a problem with my wiring?

    I've searched for a definitive wiring diagram for the vintage Tele Deluxe, but everything I've found is inclusive... or is actually referring to the reissue. What I have found mostly looks like how I currently have it wired... so I'm not sure what's going on here. Maybe it is correct?

    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

    Regards,
    Layne
     
  2. layne

    layne TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    7
    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO
    This wiring diagram shows how my Tele Deluxe is currently wired. Note that this diagram is from the Fender reissue service diagram (as I don't have the original service diagram).

    Any ideas why the volume and tone pot tapers aren't behaving as expected? Can anyone with a vintage Tele Deluxe confirm whether this behavior is normal or not?

    Thanks,
    Layne
     

    Attached Files:

  3. mewsy

    mewsy TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    6
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    Location:
    Sheffield UK
    ah. I have a similar wiring problem. this diagram should help me out too. i there just the one white wire that goes to the jack for earth??? as I have an earth wire coming from under the bridge too that goes to the jack.

    i,ve tried so many different wiring styles, but it all seems to have earthing issues. resulting in lots of noise.
     
  4. mewsy

    mewsy TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    6
    Joined:
    Dec 4, 2012
    Location:
    Sheffield UK
    as for your pots Layne, it sounds something like the effects of 'no load' pots. strange how it wouldnt roll off untill you get down to 2 though. maybe needs different caps to suit the 1m pots. did the guitar have 1m pots on before or were they 500 or 250s???
     
  5. layne

    layne TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    7
    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO
    It had 1M pots and the original .022uF caps. I'm pretty sure the original 72-73 Tele Deluxe used 1M pots (the new reissue uses 250K). I want to keep it original.
     
  6. layne

    layne TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    7
    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2012
    Location:
    Kansas City, MO
    I still don't have this sorted out. Can anyone with a vintage Tele Deluxe confirm how the volume and tone pots taper off... and how it is wired?

    Thanks,
    Layne
     
  7. CustFan

    CustFan TDPRI Member

    Posts:
    68
    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2011
    Location:
    Hants, UK
    Here's a view of the wiring around the pots on my 1978 Tele Custom. This has 1M pots which I believe was also what would have been fitted originally on you 1973 Deluxe. The original Seth Lover WRHBs won't have the multi conductor wiring shown in the reissue circuit but I assume that you've not done anything wrong with the pick-up wiring as you do have output.

    It would be worth checking the resistance of the pickups - this should be around 12.4k ohms for the WRHBs. When I first purchased my Custom there was odd volume control behaviour with the middle position (both pickups in parallel) which I traced to the WRHB having been modified by having the coils wired in parallel rather than series (by a previous owner I assume). This resulted in the WRHB having a resistance somewhere between 3 and 4k and completely messed up the balance with the bridge pickup (single coil on he Custom). I'm not sure this is what you're seeing but it is worth a check
     

    Attached Files:

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.