72 Wiring Route Question

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Hacksaw, Sep 21, 2017.

1. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Reviving and old thread, but I've had this Telecaster 21 years now, bought it from a guy that worked for me. He said it was his hard drinking, honky tonkin' Father's and one of the gouges in the body came from a .25 that someone shot at good old Dad. The original hardware and pickups were gone when I bought it, and his brother had refinished it with I believe tempura paint, then it was stripped again and clear coated with something and cat hair. It has early 90's Seymour Duncans and 500 ohm Japanese pots.

Back in 2012 I was considering a refinish:

http://www.tdpri.com/threads/1972-refinish-questions.328031/#post-4234924

But now I've decided to replace the wiring with a RS guitarworks vintage kit, as I've never really liked the sound of it. I'd also like to tarnish the control plate and knobs so they somewhat match the body. I've also considered repairing the hacked humbucker route, but was a little surprised that most of the pictures I saw of 72's did not have the wiring channel route and its clear that whoever chiseled the humbucker hole didn't have the skill to do the wiring channel.

I opened it up yesterday and couldn't see any dates or marks in the control cavity or under the neck pick-up, the blue paint is glopped everywhere. I did not have time to take off the neck and look in the pocket. End of the neck is marked Aug 72. Just wondering if the presence of the wiring route varied during the early 70s.

There are additional picture in the old thread.

Thanks!

Attached Files:

2. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

I would put a decent finish on that body. Those 500k pots need to go. If the guitar is too bright for you, that could be one reason....even though Fender used 1M pots for a while. IMHO, that was ill-advised and 250K pots are more appropriate.

3. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

That wiring channel and the deep notch suggests that that body is either older or younger than 1972, I would guess 1960s. I cannot tell from the pics but it might even have the router hump. Is it 1-piece?
    If it were mine I would reinstall the humbucker and shoot either a blonde or a natural finish over the body.

4. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I've considered refinishing for years, but I don't want to touch the neck and I don't want to "relic" a refinished body for an attempted match. It got it's scars honestly, so I figured I'll give the RS kit a try, (I really like the flexibility of the kit I have in my 82 Les Paul), and live with the finish. But I would like to fix the chisel work.

5. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Yes, it's a one piece.

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

I would advise against filling the humbucker route. Believe it or not, it may ruin the sound. I like the finish too.

7. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Did you check for the router hump?

8. Wally

I too would want to see other details of the body before I could have much of an opinion about the date of the body. Fwiw, the base coat polyester used in 1972 is almost impossible to remove. If that body is as it seems p, then there is no polyester base coat...because the blue paint has gotten into the pores of the ash. I don't think a transparent or even a translucent finish will work because of that blue paint in the pores.
    And...I thought I saw one-piece ash there.

9. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I believe the router hump is there, will confirm tonight.

10. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I actually considered that the blue could have been a factory color, but no factory would chisel out the humbucker route like that.

11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

If there is a clear router hump the body is either much older (50s or early 60s) or younger. 1-piece bodies were common in 1956 and 1957.

The wood is ash so the original color would be blonde or natural if it is a 70s body

12. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

I am not an expert by any means, but I have learned a lot on this site over the past few years and can only give you what I have learned from others.

It seems the real experts are no longer here anymore unfortunately, but most everything I am going to say I found on TDPRI. If I am wrong someone please slap me and set me straight! ;)

That guitar body is not a 1972. IMO you have a 1972 neck on an unknown body.

To answer your question about the wiring route, it disappeared in mid 1969. No 1972 Tele should have a wiring route.

The neck pocket notch started to slowly disappear until around '72 to '73. It can vary, but it seems to me a lot of '72s and '73's don't have the notch at all. From what I understand by '74 it was non-existent.

Your Tele body has a very pronounced notch and a professional looking wiring route which would indicate pre-mid 1969.

One thing that would help is a picture of the back to see if it has filled dowel holes. The dowel marks for the router disappeared sometime in the mid '70s.

If the body has dowel marks, the notch, and the factory wiring route then it is at least pre-1969. This is all the farther I can take you, as there are other indications for pre-CBS guitars like paint holes and router humps that I have no experience in.

I hope this helps a bit. I read your earlier post about this guitar and I think it looks really cool as-is. I wouldn't worry about removing the blue at all, I would just play the heck out of it, but that's me and it's not mine! I wish it was! :)

Also, I wouldn't worry about filling the humbucker route either because it's under the pickguard, and many old Teles have this issue. Again this is just my opinion, but to me is not a big deal.

I have no experience with RS vintage kits so I cannot comment on that at all. If you want to get close to original there are many vintage parts on eBay or Reverb, but for the most part very $$$$!

Good luck!
    CWP

13. CWP0126

CWP0126 Tele-Meister

Also, I forgot to add but if this thing has a .25 caliber bullet hole in it, I would not even dream of removing it! That is the coolest thing I could imagine for an old Tele! :D

Hacksaw likes this.
  14. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Does the hole go all the way through? :eek:

15. Wally

Hacksaw, you will never see a factory Finish that leaves a color down in the pores of the wood. The wood is protected by a base coat to prevent this. On ash, that base is applied after a sealing coat and the pore filler.
    Some detailed pics of certain areas would help in determine what you have there....but my first reaction was that the body was earlier than '72.

16. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

Thanks all, not a lot of time last night but there is a router hump, actually a pronounced flat spot, there are no filled dowel holes. I'm out of town this weekend , but when I get back I'll pop off the neck and look in the pocket. No, the .25 doesn't go through, it's a rough gouge, the one near the top edge where your arm goes.

17. Tele wacker

Tele wacker Tele-Holic

I wouldn't do a thing to the body. Heck, it is cool and you would only be covering up history. The guitar has made it this far so it will make it the rest of the way the way it is.

18. Hacksaw

Hacksaw TDPRI Member

I agree no refinish, however now I'm curious about the age of the body. It's odd that the blue is in the control/pick-up routes and that there is a wiring route on a '72. Even though I've had the guitar for 20+ years, I've never taken the neck off. I'll get to it this week and take a look at the neck pocket. More pictures to come, any certain areas anyone wants to see?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2017
  19. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

Yes, please show the cut out at the lower bout, but with a flash.

20. Wally

If you take a shot of the neck pocket from straight above, you will show the cutout on the treble side and the
    curve of the body coming to the neck on the Bass side....as well as the interior of that neck pocket. All of that is of interest.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.