72 Thinline RI-Tone Pot Switch?

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
I have a 72 Thinline RI from 97. Will switching the pots from 250s to 500s help with the tone of the fake Wide Range pups? I read somewhere humbuckers should have 500 pots.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
What do you mean make them no load? I was going make the connections the same as the existing 250s.

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
The 500k pots will make them pop. That's what I use in mine. I wouldn't bother with the no-load, but it doesn't hurt anything. Plus, I usually just change my V pot. Changing the T pot makes less difference.

They are nice-sounding pickups that get dissed because of those 250k pots that were usually stock.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
The 500k pots will make them pop. That's what I use in mine. I wouldn't bother with the no-load, but it doesn't hurt anything. Plus, I usually just change my V pot. Changing the T pot makes less difference.

They are nice-sounding pickups that get dissed because of those 250k pots that were usually stock.

I was wondering how much difference the tone pot would make

Boreas

Poster Extraordinaire
I was wondering how much difference the tone pot would make

Hard to put into words, but I would say if you change first the V then the T and call the final result 100, I would say the V pot is 85, and the V pot 15. The pots perform different functions in different ways. Someone here that knows more about electronics than myself can explain why. It has to do with where and how each is placed in the circuit. In simplistic terms, the V pot controls the frequencies and volume that get to the T pot.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's
Hard to put into words, but I would say if you change first the V then the T and call the final result 100, I would say the V pot is 85, and the V pot 15. The pots perform different functions in different ways. Someone here that knows more about electronics than myself can explain why. It has to do with where and how each is placed in the circuit. In simplistic terms, the V pot controls the frequencies and volume that get to the T pot.

Yeah thanks I got two. I was going to do both while I have it open. I just kind of thought the volume would make more difference than the tone.

Jim622

Friend of Leo's

Pop is right. It made a big difference. Haven't had but a few minutes to plug in, but it feels like a win.