1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

72 Thinline pick guard color

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by FenderScott, Jul 23, 2018.

1. FenderScott

FenderScott TDPRI Member

Hi. I was wondering if any of the experts out there know if the 72 Thinline with the wide range buckers was available with the black guard or were all of them mother of pearl in 72?

Thanks!

2. DrBoBo

DrBoBo TDPRI Member

To the best of my knowledge in 1972 only mother of toilet seat pick guards were available, except for the rare sunburst model which had a white pick guard. I don't recall a black guard, but I've been wrong before.

DrBoBo

FenderScott likes this.
  3. FenderScott

FenderScott TDPRI Member

Thanks. I can’t find anything definitive. I’m looking at buying one but it has a black guard and I’m assuming the guard is not original. I can’t see early ones with a black guard only later in the 70’s. Not sure if it would be easy to find one.

4. toomuchfun

toomuchfun Tele-Afflicted

This probably won't help but here goes. I have a '75 Thinline I bought new. It has a pickguard with a 4 ply black/white/black/white configuration.

As shown here:

75_thinline-1.jpg

25 or 30 years ago I bought a pickguard from Angela Instruments, who I consider a reputable dealer then and now, advertised as an authentic 70's Fender Thinline pickguard. Back then I paid a whopping $42.00 if I recall correctly. When it came it happened to be 3 ply black/white/black.

I dug it up, sorry for the poor pics, it still has the plastic on it:

thinline_pg-1.jpg

thinline_pg-2.jpg

Now I don't know if the one above is a early or late '70's guard. Just sayin' they changed at least once.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.