1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

72 Telecaster Deluxe worth restoring?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Bassgod, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Bassgod

Bassgod TDPRI Member

Wow. That’d be sweet. I’d totally buy it from you. What year is it again? What do you think you’d ask for it?

2. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Let us take it outside to the private message, so we don't hijack this topic in an improper direction.

Bassgod likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Friend of Leo's Gold Supporter

Stick it out for an original or at least a Fender pickguard. They have little metal dots embedded in them to show the knob position and the third party pickguards always miss them. If you’re trying to get it as original as possible, it’s a nice little detail.

Also note the pickguard evolved! If it really is a ‘72 and one of the very early ones, there was no recess in the pickguard for the bridge. They changed it around late ‘73, probably to add a bit more wiggle room for manufacturing tolerances.

Yup, it’s a rabbit hole... :D

Bassgod and Piotr like this.
  4. PJ55

PJ55 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

When I started to see old stock 50s and 60s Strats topping at $25K 20 or 25 years ago, I decided to keep my Tele stock. Even though back 25 years, everyone would tell me that ‘70s Teles would never be worth anything. You guys remember those discussions, right?

Matthias likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.