1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

72 Telecaster Deluxe worth restoring?

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Bassgod, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Bassgod

Bassgod TDPRI Member

Hi
    I have a 72 tele deluxe. In 1983 a guitar tech talked me into taking out the original humbuckers and replacing them with Dimarzios. He also made me a custom Pearl pickguard. Otherwise the guitar is all original. I don’t think it’s routed out. I’d like to find original pickups and restore - but I rarely see them
    Any thoughts on restoring to original? I wonder if it’s even possible to find the pickups anymore.
    Thx!

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
    dlaroe, hoggy and CWP0126 like this.
  2. Paulie_Boy

Paulie_Boy Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

You have my permission to do whatever you want to it.

SRHmusic, timbraun and RoscoeElegante like this.
  3. telemnemonics

telemnemonics Telefied Ad Free Member

I think you can find a pair but it may take some hunting.
    I use old fender pickups and never buy one at top dealer price in a hurry, just wait and watch ebay.
    Ebay will email you new listings if you request that.

Some repro WRHBs are good though not original, still better than dimarzios in there!
    1983 Dimarzio HBs are now abit collectible, might get $300 for the pair to help with the cost of fixing the techs butchery.

Ahh well, I modded and parted out vintage Fenders too...

Antoon likes this.
  4. CaptainCrunch

CaptainCrunch TDPRI Member

I would sell the current DiMarzios, get some reissue WRHB’s and pickguard, and kind of keep an eye out for a deal on some original pickups while I played my 98% as good guitar.

This is all assuming you like the guitar otherwise. I’m not the pickiest audience, but if I plain just don’t like a guitar I’ll sell it without a second thought.

Fiesta Red likes this.
  5. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic

Hey @Bassgod fender makes pickups like the originals now. They’re $200 each. Original original pickups will cost at least 3 times that. Get a premade set of 1meg controls and a new pickguard and you’re all set after $500 total (plus tax)

Telecaster88 and SLICKFASTER like this.
  6. SLICKFASTER

SLICKFASTER TDPRI Member

Pictures!!

Matthias and Mad Kiwi like this.
  7. Kloun

Kloun Tele-Meister

I think you should do whatever makes you happy. If it were me, yeah I'd be on the lookout on Ebay for the original pickups. You're not alone. I have a 1974 Les Paul that I'd like to find original humbuckers for. Back then these weren't considered "vintage" (and even today they're not really considered the cream of the vintage crop either) so everyone would swap out pickups. Original ones are pricey.

8. capitalbear

capitalbear TDPRI Member

What kind of "DiMarzios" are we talking about? Even in 1983 they made more than one type.

schmee likes this.
  9. Bartholomew3

Bartholomew3 Friend of Leo's

Back in those days I replaced my 68 tele pickups with Dimarzio and have to say it was an big improvement. Considering the probable cost of getting originals on eBay unless you want to sell it in future years and even so - I would not do it.

Also a good chance of picking-up counterfeit pickups at a big price. After all these years how many original good pickups are out there for sale and how would you really know what you are getting ?

As mentioned in a post above - you could replace the Dimarzios with new Fender p/u from that model and I would add - keep the ones you like better and sell the others.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    timbraun and codamedia like this.
  10. codamedia

codamedia Poster Extraordinaire

Back in the 1980's.... '70s guitars had no value and we would mod them to become more usable & desirable. I should know :cry:

IMO... the changes you made back then are almost 40 years old themselves. Unless you don't like the pickups I can't imagine any reproduction models that will increase the value of the guitar. Finding originals will be difficult and possibly cost prohibitive - not to mention risky in this world of counterfeits. I'm not saying you shouldn't look for them, I'm just saying don't get your hopes up ;)

MilwMark and timbraun like this.
  11. maloburro

maloburro Tele-Holic

Hi Bassgod,

I'm actually in a similar situation as you with my 75 Tele Deluxe. My friend suggested I put it back to stock(ish) form, so I have a loaded Tele Deluxe pickguard from a Vintera.

Here's my dilemma, from what I can tell the original 70s-80s Deluxes had 15 hole pickguards and the reissues seem to have 14 hole pickguards (not counting the center hole). The holes don't match up, so now I'm trying to find a pickguard that doesn't require drilling new holes into the body.

I saw WD Music has some but they're $50 after shipping. All the pickguards I see on eBay have the upper bout screws in the wrong place for a vintage deluxe. Sorry to hijack but I thought it may help your dilemma as well. Anybody have any suggestions of where else to look?

Bassgod likes this.
  12. timbraun

timbraun TDPRI Member

Just going to add that the WRHB pickups in my '74 Deluxe are microphonic as heck. Which gives the guitar a pretty cool tone at volume, but isn't going to be everyone's cup of tea. I happen to like a little chaos and feedback.

I wouldn't pursue high dollar originals for your Deluxe, @Bassgod, but trying good quality modern repro is worth your while.

I also have a Les Paul with an 80s DiMarzio in the bridge that I think sounds great so... What do you think of the sound you get now?

13. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

Think about the modern Fender CuNiFe repros. I would do it if the instrument itself was a good one. Actually I am in the process of restoring mine, which I'll document on the forum.

14. stepvan

stepvan Tele-Holic Silver Supporter

How come nobody ever held on to the original parts? I would not let the original parts slip away! ( I have a bunch of parts that were original on my guitars with plans on keeping it with each one) so if the guitar sells the stock parts go with it.

15. teletail

teletail Tele-Afflicted

Unless you have the original pickups, you can't put it back to stock. Even if you find the pickups and pick guard you are looking for, they are out of another guitar and your guitar will still not be stock.

It's a player, not a collector; there's no going back.

Hounded Dog likes this.
  16. MilwMark

MilwMark Doctor of Teleocity Ad Free Member

The changes are easy and cheap. As someone else said, it's just:

- repro pickguard
    - new Fender Cunife Wide Range reissues
    - maybe 1m pots (if not currently 1m).

Going back almost 3 decades, were you happier with the sound and dynamics as original or as modded? If the former, give it a shot. If the latter, keep it as is.

17. Bassgod

Bassgod TDPRI Member

Thx for all the input. After a ton of research I decided to spring for a ‘72 and ‘73 original wide range humbucker. The real deal for my 73 deluxe. In the future if me or my kids sell it, the first question people will ask is, are the 70s humbuckers still in it? Yep!
    Now I got something closer to a 3500 guitar rather than 2500 or less? I’ll show pics when done. Still looking for an original pickguard. Probably be tough to find tho.

18. Bassgod

Bassgod TDPRI Member

19. Bassgod

Bassgod TDPRI Member

Maloburro-

I found the pickups. 72 and 73. All I have to find is the pickguard and it’ll be close as can be to original. but finding an original 47 year old pickguard won’t be easy. I’m looking at buying a WD that looks promising. Although expensive. Have you had luck with the WDs?

20. Piotr

Piotr Tele-Afflicted Silver Supporter

I might have one for sale, if I decide not to use it for refurbishing my Deluxe.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.