72 Player Custom Wiring Problem

Discussion in 'Tele-Technical' started by jrpj2b, Jan 5, 2021.

1. jrpj2b

jrpj2b TDPRI Member

I had a tech instal one of the CuNiFe WRHBs Fender is making in my MIM "72 Custom. (you can hear a demo of the pickup in my guitar here: )

Anyway, when the pickup selector is in the middle position, with the volume turned all the way up, what comes through is *just* the bridge pickup. If I roll the bridge volume down to about 8, then the (considerably louder) neck pickup takes over for the most part, with slightly less output. There does not seem to be a way to blend the sound of the bridge pickup and the neck pickup, and both volume pots seem to act like master volumes, if you turn one of them down, no output from either pickup. I thought this was pretty weird and not very useful. I'd like to blend the two pickups if possible.

So I'm looking for a solution. If the guitar is re-wired to "les paul 50's wiring" will that solve the problem? Seems like it would, but I have no idea and since my soldering skills are quite lacking, I am reluctant to pay somebody a bunch of money if that isn't going to work. Thanks in advance!

2. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Try wiring the volume pots for independent volume. It will allow you to turn down one volume without effecting the other in the middle position.
    1240_2133_2.gif

3. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

You should not be missing one pickup in the middle position with all volumes all the way up, with that pickup only coming in when the volume is rolled down. Check all wiring against diagram below (labeled wire colours may be different, but actual wiring should be the same). Especially make sure that all pot bodies are grounded with a multimeter, that the 3rd volume pot tabs that should be connected to those grounded bodies are actually connected, that other tabs are correctly connected, and that there are no obvious shorts.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 6, 2021
  4. teleplayr

teleplayr Tele-Afflicted

Could be something as simple as a faulty switch.

5. jrpj2b

jrpj2b TDPRI Member

Thanks for these great replies!

6. jrpj2b

jrpj2b TDPRI Member

This is super helpful. Another thing I did was switch from 250k volume pots to 1 meg pots for both pickups. Could that have caused it so that the two pickups don’t both come through in the middle position?

7. TimTam

TimTam Tele-Holic

No, the original Customs have 1meg pots and the volumes work as they should. What you described was a malfunction. Odd interactions between pots are often due to a failure to connect a ground that the circuit requires, like the 3rd pot tab that I suggested.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.