72 headstock finish

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by Fretting out, Jul 10, 2019.

1. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I have a 72 single tree notched telecaster,
    It was my fathers he bought it around 1980 out of a trunk of a car for 150 bucks.
    The story goes before then it had been disassembled placed in a box and stored in a barn. Which is crazy to me being an 8 year old guitar at the time.
    I’m not sure if it was stripped or not but my father had a buddy at a local car shop paint it in white imron which will survive past Keith Richards;)
    The finish actually looks decent.
    Anyway the way my father tells me is all the parts came with it but I know some are replacements.( once I can figure out how to post pictures I’ll have to get your kind folks opinions) he also tells me that the headstock never had a logo on it.
    The thing that puzzles me is that the headstock feels natural and unfinished ( have no idea why an 8 year old guitar would have had this stripped) so I’m wondering if it’s possible that it has worn off. My father did put a replacement decal on it in the 80s but has since worn off again. ( back then my dad said you could go to a fender dealer and they’d have a binder full of waterslides didn’t have to send fender any information like you have to today to get a legit replacement)

Did fender put the decal on top of the finish in 72 ?
    When did they start finishing over the decal?

2. netgear69

netgear69 Tele-Afflicted

I could be wrong but i think Fender started putting the decals under the finish in 68

Fretting out likes this.
  3. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

They put nitro over the decals for a few years, apparently, as it reacted better. Perhaps the nitro got damaged and the previous owner sanded it off.

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  4. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

the necks of that era were still finished in Nitro if I recall.. however they were finished considerably differently than what's expected today...those finishes were very thin and were not polished to the extent seen today, thus the first impression could well be, they had no or very little finish..

is there a dare stamp or other info on the heel?

rk

5. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Yeah there’s a may 72 stamp on the heel and the finish on the whole neck is original except the missing decal.I’ll have to give it another look (and learn how to post pictures) the headstock May just have very little finish. I just don’t understand why the logo would have worn off.

From my understanding it was literally a barn find and had sat in a barn in pieces in a box.
    Is it possible that the nitro would melt or crack and chip off but still leave an ambering to the headstock.

I remember my dad telling me that he thinks it had the decal on it when he bought it. I just don’t know the senecio in which it would wear away. I can’t imagine the finish was so thin when it left the factory.
    I just wasn’t sure when and to what extent fender finished over there logo’s?
    And if anyone has experienced any anomaly’s?

6. 2 Headed Goat

2 Headed Goat Tele-Afflicted

Pics or it didn't happen.. ;)

7. Ronkirn

Ronkirn Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

In many cases on vintage guitars the logo didn't "wear" off... the decal was printed on a gelatin film... being a food product, insects zeroed in on it for a free meal.. and munched away... while after the late 60s the decal was clear coated, it was just a coat or so, and not thick enough to dissuade the hungry lil critters...

rk

8. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

Oh it’s a looker for sure with it’s white imron paint I think I just figured out pictures so I’ll give it a try

2 Headed Goat likes this.
  9. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

2D311878-46F3-4C4E-93B4-34A1CBB3D1F4.jpeg 930F48C6-17FD-4214-A20D-87F48C405E50.jpeg 19222B86-1B1B-4198-B8F6-D7F446CECB43.jpeg 82007E8C-7526-4B3C-B76E-9AA28C9C6288.jpeg 98ECDE63-0B86-44CE-9534-22F9170CE647.jpeg F929D97C-CEAC-4503-A403-1B1A1C9995BC.jpeg 9F565A97-6A7C-4376-9BF6-5AB38C197AD9.jpeg 54A826D5-76A2-4CE8-812E-B60965B87D4E.jpeg 7E9F1306-4683-4C00-8EA3-28BB02D35038.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  10. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

All these parts have been on it since it was put back together by my father around 1980 I’m unsure about most of it except a few things maybe I’ll make a thread to ask some questions

11. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

In the urethane years, headstock faces were kept nitro, but the rest of the necks (except for the faces of rosewood boards, of course) were poly. Exceptions are some lower end student models, which often had all nitro finished necks (like my '76 Musicmaster Bass).

You can easily see this on most '68–'80 (or so) Fender necks. The nitro peghead faces will have yellowed significantly, while the parts of the neck finished in urethane will have yellowed far less. It's extremely apparent on maple board examples.

In other words, the headstock face of your pops's guitar would have been very easy to strip, while the rest of the neck would have been hard to strip, so it was likely left alone.

It's possible that when the decal was removed, the finish from the peghead face was removed. It's also possible that it was simply sanded back to a matte finish, which might feel like bare wood after all these years. However, part of the decal is still there, so I don't think the face of the head was stripped entirely.

Also, it's possible your guitar, or at least the neck, is from earlier than '72, or even earlier than '71 (when two string trees became the norm). If we assume that the body and neck are original, I think it's quite possibly a '69 or '70.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  12. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I’m just puzzled why it’s in this condition if it had the original decal on it when my dad bought it and he never stripped it I’m not sure but in my pictures you can see the pat. Number decal left but who knows if that’s the replacement or not . This guitar had a heck of a life in 7 years

13. EsquireOK

EsquireOK Friend of Leo's

Did you not say in your OP that the decal was already gone when your dad got it?

14. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I guess I have to eat crow. I did say that , thinking about it Im sure he said it had the decal But was starting to flake off but I don’t know if that meant all the nitro flaked off or just the logo .
    Ohh boy I just answered my own question if the logo was flaking off it had to be the finish because the decal was buried in the finish.
    I feel stupid
    On that note did fender apply the waterslides directly on the wood of the headstock or on finish then finished over?

Next time I talk to my father I’ll have to ask about it being just a player and never careding about specs some of its details are hazy
    I’ll have to get some clarification

Thank you for your patience

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  15. rob2

rob2 Tele-Holic

...its a puzzle for sure....it would be legit to restore it with a replica....

16. Fretting out

Fretting out Tele-Holic

I posted in the thread titled “72 tele what do you think “ more details I’ve learned about it the other day

rob2 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.