72 Customs..what do you think?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by 73Fender, Feb 15, 2014.

1. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

I've been considering a 72 Custom for a while and the recent thread here on WRHB's has got me thinking about it again. I hear that the necks are nice and the prospect of a humbucker and a single coil with separate volume and tone controls gets my interest.

I'm kind of kicking myself for missing the blowout on the AVRI's some months ago. The prospect of possibly having to replace or mod the stock WRHB probably was a factor in my hesitation, not much time for projects. Have heard good things about Fender's 2nd version though.

I have been leaning towards a used MIM version and then assuming I don't like the pickup going from there with a Telenator mod or one of his own versions, a Curtis Novak or Creamery (the thread currently running speaks highly of that version) or maybe an original if I can find one. Getting a used MIM allows me to put some $ into the WRHB.

So I have a few questions:

What is the stock bridge pickup like on these? OK as is for the most part?

I have a 52 Hot Rod already which I like a lot, would a 72 Custom be kind of redundant? I love to blend the pickups on my Gibson types with dual tone and vol controls and I kind of miss that with the Hot Rod.

Any other discussion on the 72 Custom is welcome, some pictures would be cool as well..

2. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Just read a thread about the tuners in these and the other 70's reissues (MIM and AVRI). Supposedly problematic and hard to fit replacements. Anyone have issues with the tuners?

FWIW, the ones on my old 73 still work fine.

3. Joe Baggadonitz

Joe Baggadonitz Friend of Leo's

I think, therefore, I want one. - R. Decartes... I think?

4. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

I saw a place online a couple days ago had the av customs for a little over $1100, will check my history for it. The bridge pup sounds great. The new WHRB's are pretty killer, have them on my THinlines.. The older RI WHRB is on my Custom and it's not as bad as some make it out to be. Had been planing on sending it in to be modded but it doesn't seem real urgent, kind of like the woofy tones I get now. I have no problem with these tuners but I'm not to particular as long as they turn smooth enough to tune up the strings I'm good. Believe the bigger issue is that when installing Vintage tuners there will be some exposed holes if that type of thing bothers you.

imo Hot Rod neck pup is great for lead work, the neck on the customs better suited for rhythm.

5. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Thanks Jerry, I may have a line on a slightly used MIM which had a good set up with fret work.The GAS fund is pretty low so I'm thinking an AVRI may be out of my range. If you find the link let me have it anyway just in case.

6. dogfootblues

dogfootblues Tele-Afflicted

Yo bud. I just bought a new 72' MIM reissue about 7 months ago. The f tuners weren't bad. The e string tuner hole wouldn't accept a 10 gauge low E string. It was to wide. So I installed a set of those warmoth gotoh vintage replacement tuners. Covers the hole up all cept half of one on the end. The bridge pup wasn't bad on mine. But I put in a OV anyway. Really wails with the WRHB. Mine is a 11' so I guess their the old WRHB but I really like the sound. Don't think I'm going to need an upgrade on that. The neck is nice. Said it was a U but I dunno. Definitly nice feel. Little chunky. Not too much. Really a nice piece for the money. And if you can get it used more power to you. I got a brand new one, we'll new old stock, on eBay for $550. All the tags and case candy included. I say. Go for it bro.

7. FredDairy

FredDairy Friend of Leo's

I had two AV '72 RIs or a couple of months. I thought they were the bee's knees for awhile. Was a short love affair tho.

8. CustFan

CustFan TDPRI Member

IMHO the Custom '72 is a great guitar.

The blending of the pick-ups possible with the 2 Volume/2 Tone control layout opens up a bigger range of tones than the standard Tele set up.

I've not had any issues with the tuners (I have MIM 3 Customs and 1 Thinline with these tuners) other than the restriction with the low E string gauge. I think they will accept a 0.050" at a pinch. I've been toying with the idea of drilling the shaft out to accept a bigger gauge but haven't done so yet as I tend to use 0.046".

Fit and finish on the MIM models is generally good, and the necks are pretty close to the dimensions of the original American ones from the '70s.
    Stock pickups weren't too bad from recollection and I quite liked the sounds as do a lot of others here. I've subsequently modified all of mine by upping the number of turns on the bridge pickup and doing a modification to the stock WRHBs to make them more like the original WRHBs (again more turns and individual pole piece magnets). The pots have all been increased to 1meg too. They all sound better now IMO - but don't sound quite the same as my original '78 Custom.

In summary I think you should satisfy your GAS by getting one - they tend hold their resale value if you get one second hand. You may end up bonding or find it a bit short lived as per FredDairy, but you won't know until you try!

9. TeleKato

TeleKato Friend of Leo's

FWIW …

I had a MIM in the days I was jacking around with stuff trying to get rid of hum (single-coil bridge-related, until I learned that was the charm PLUS I got a Hum Debugger pedal). So I messed with it. Didn't have a good experience, returned it to stock and sold it.

I was enamored though and had Tony build me one (for my birthday) a couple of years ago. I went with a Texas Special in the bridge and a Lollar Regal WRHB in the neck. As CustFan mentions, the two separate controls make for a really interesting way to have "infinite blend" options.

I would check into the AVRI or maybe the Telebration version. There are also plenty of threads on here about things you can do to the MIM to make it better before you go to Telenator or get one of the 3rd party WRHB (like I did). Or you may end up just liking it how it is. My only advice … don't over-mess with it. When you crack open the controls it is a bit more complex than your regular Tele … and it's easy to bugger up the soldering and then the parts (I ended up frying the switch and also a pot … but I'm a moron [see sig]).

Attached Files:

10. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Thanks for the input guys.

Dogfoot, glad you're liking yours. Actually it was an old post by you comparing the F tuners to a certain unpopular WWII dictator that got me doubting the tuners. And Boris said they were dangerous..ha ha. And no good fits for replacements were evident back then either. My standard .010 set has a .046 low E so no issues with that I guess. Funny, my old 73 in my avatar had a bent shaft, bent it straight and it and the others still hold tune fine from what my "tone detection abilities" can tell.

Telekato, say hi to Tony at the ville and let him know I love the Nocaster. Yours / his is sweet.

There are some AVRI's floating around as well, wondering about what upgrades they bring other then the finish if that really is one.

Waiting to hear from the MIM seller. Updates will follow...chasing kids (=herding cats) around today..

11. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

12. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

With the assistance of one of our resident good deal finders / enablers, I have found one. It's a black AVRI. Hardly any left out there. Will post pics when it arrives.

13. Twang Man

Twang Man Tele-Holic

I love mine, gig it as a number 1 every gig now! I dropped a Semour Duncan Hotrails in the bridge and that really livened it up a bit , but I'm playing foo fighters, kings of leon, green day stuff so it works for me. Since this photos I also dropped some brass saddles on it too...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

14. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Yep, the black one is the one I got. Actually preferred the Sunburst but pickings were slim and I got a good price. That stuff is secondary to me anyway.

How did the brass saddles work out? My favorite Teles have them.

I hear the necks are a kind of chunky C? Like an AVRI 52? Was playing my 52 last night, very comfortable playing guitar so I hope it carrys over.

Waiting for mine, should ship today from Brooklyn, so maybe it will get to my UPS pickup depot tomorrow..Monday at the latest. Funny, was looking at e bay last night and the seller has my guitar listed as an AVRI..with MIM specs. It had not been listed before, go figure. I let them know. They are not really a guitar oriented shop..more of an audio vender that has some instruments. They were unfamiliar with the details etc...(case candy?? what's that?) could work out for or against me we'll see. I'm sure I'll be doing a set up.

15. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Well, it came today. I was first on line when UPS opened their doors. Nicely double boxed.

Got it home and pulled the neck to have a peek, was surprised that it is from Oct of 2011. The dealer had it listed as B stock and the Fender box also was labeled B Stock. Really, I wasn't aware that Fender offered B stock stuff. The only flaw was a ding on the front, maybe 1/8 the size of a dime so the first ding is out of the way.

The set up really surprised me, it is probably out of the box the lowest action of any of my Teles, buzz free. Really plays well, never had a Fender guitar arrive with such a nice set up and the strings don't appear to be from 2011 either. I'm thinking that somewhere along the line it had some attention. Really plays nice, has a tight neck joint and 7.4 lbs. Still tweaking the pickups but I can see the possibilities with this set up.

I was disappointed when I saw the 2011 date. I thought the new version WRHBs were introduced in 2012, I was hoping to get one with the new version.

I emailed Fender today and they got back to me with the build sheet. I was surprised that it lists the new revoiced WRHB. So maybe it has it:

Serial V05678 is attached to an American Vintage ’72 Telecaster Custom in Black from 10/2011, made in the US. Full spec sheet below!

Model Name: American Vintage ‘72 Telecaster Custom

Model Number: 010-0042-(Color #)

Series: American Vintage Series

Body: Ash

Neck: 1-Piece Maple, “C” Shape,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Fingerboard: Maple, 7.25” Radius (184 mm)

Frets: 21 Vintage Style Frets

Scale Length: 25.5” (648 mm)

Width @ Nut: 1.650” (42 mm)

Hardware: Nickel/Chrome

Machine Heads: Fender® Vintage “F” Style Tuning Machines

Bridge: Vintage Style Strings-Thru-Body Tele® Bridge with 3 Threaded Steel Saddles

Pickguard: 3-Ply Black/White/Black

Pickups: 1 American Vintage Tele® Single-Coil Pickup (Bridge),

1 Fender® "Wide Range" Humbucking Pickup (Neck)

Pickup Switching: 3-Position Toggle:

Position 1. Bridge Pickup

Position 2. Bridge and Neck Pickups

Position 3. Neck Pickup

Controls: Volume 1. (Neck Pickup),

Tone 1. (Neck Pickup),

Volume 2. (Bridge Pickup),

Tone 2. (Bridge Pickup)

Colors: (800) 3-Color Sunburst,

(806) Black,

(Nitrocellulose Lacquer Finish)

Strings: Fender USA, Nickel Plated Steel,

Gauges: (.010, .013, .017, .026, .036, .046)

Other Features: Improved/Revoiced “Wide Range” Humbucking Neck Pickup,

3-Bolt Neck Plate with Micro-Tilt™ Adjustment,

"Bullet" Truss Rod Nut,

Synthetic Bone Nut,

Skirted Amp Knobs,

Black Dot Position Inlays

Source: U.S.

Accessories: Standard Black Hardshell Case, Strap, Cable, Polishing Cloth, “Ash Tray” Bridge Cover

U.S. MSRP: $2,149.99

INTRODUCED: 7/2011

DISCONTINUED: 12/2012

WRENCH SIZES: Saddle Height Adjustment Wrench, (.050” Hex), P/N 0018531000,

1/8” Truss Rod Adjustment Wrench, P/N 0023811000

COMMENTS: Vintage 6-Saddle Bridge 0072948000 (In Kit)

All in all I'm very happy with it, got a very low price and they are hard to come by. It is unplayed so NOS I guess, and like I said love the neck

Came with the black G&G case and sealed bag of case candy. I'm keeping it. Here's a quick picture..in hindsight a black guitar with a black case doesn't make for the best picture. I'll have a look under the hood tonight.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. sbpark

sbpark Friend of Leo's

The tuners were always fine for me. Not the greatest, but they always stayed in tune and did their job. ONLY issue I've ever had was with the low E string. If you use any gauge heavier than 9's, you'll have to have the center hole drilled out so the string will fit down into the shaft.

17. mr pink

mr pink TDPRI Member

Strange indeed your guitar is said to have the revoiced WRHB.
    I wrote a mail to Fender yesterday regarding the date of production of mine and they haven't replied yet, but judging from the serial number (V 03824) it must be produced prior to your guitar.
    Where does the rumour of the revoiced WRHB introduced in May 2012 come from, anyway?
    Happy NGD; nice to hear you like yours!
    I heightened the strings a bit yesterday and it has a huge effect on the unplugged tone.
    I'm keeping mine too.
    Have fun!

18. 73Fender

73Fender Friend of Leo's

Maybe the customer service rep just copy and pasted the latest spec sheet, I don't know. I'll pull the pickguard tonight and take a picture of the humbucker. Charging up my cordless screwdriver..I think there are 15 screws on the guard.

I just had a look at the box, it shipped direct from Fender to the dealer. The dealer told me that they buy "used" (B stock?) guitars from Fender, like I said never heard of that before. Also found a tiny crack in the pickguard from a cranked screw..don't really care.

They have other B stocks too, the bottom of this page is all B stock stuff
    http://www.proaudiostar.com/instrument-gear/electric-guitars.html?manufacturer=Fender&p=2

19. xtrajerry

xtrajerry Doctor of Teleocity

That's about the time Fender changed the copy on their website and mentioned revoiced pickups on Thinlines, I don't recall if the copy for the Customs was changed. There were some threads concerning this back then and it was roughly narrowed down May 2012.

Fender serial #'s haven't always been issued in chronological order not sure what the practice is. Curious what Fender says when they report back to you. I'm pretty much certain that my Custom has the older pickups but that's based on how the neck sounds when I play it compared to my 72 Thinline. I never looked into it past strumming the guitar. If there weren't so many screws I might have removed the pick guard to check but really what's the point? It is what it is, if I ever do remove the pick guard I'll be installing a pickup when I do but at this stage I like the darker tones. If it was the only guitar I had it most likely would have been modded or swapped.

20. mr pink

mr pink TDPRI Member

I got a reply; it's from May 2011.
    They also mention the revoiced WRHB in the specs.
    Probably you're right, probably they just updated the specs from the last reissues.
    Well...I think I'll rework the WRHB to Telenator's MOD1 specs anyway...

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.