1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

72 Custom: Bridge pup for Mojotone WRHB neck?

Discussion in 'Just Pickups' started by ChipOnly, Jun 30, 2016.

1. ChipOnly

ChipOnly Tele-Holic

Hey everyone. I've got a second-hand Mojotone WRHB on it's way to me. Even if it doesn't really capture the WRHB sound - I probably wouldn't know it if I heard it, anyway - I figure it's got to be better than whats in my 72 custom RI from circa 2000 (upped to 500k pots, btw).

Now I'm faced with trying to pick a tele bridge pickup, most of which I've never heard, to pair with the mojotone neck pu, which I've also never heard. So I'm looking for advice, particularly from anyone who is familiar with the sound and output of the mojotone wrhb. I'm looking to strike a balance in terms of both output and tone - I don't want significant volume differentials or to have to readjust my amp every time I use my pickup selector. Also, I have another tele with single coils to cover all the standard single coil tele tones, so I feel I can color a little outside the lines with my 72 custom. Just want to get this guitar (my first electric, owned since I was just a college kid) back in the rotation of usable instruments.

Through my employer, I get a nice deal on seymour duncan stuff, and a pretty good deal on Dimarzio. Considering a jerry donahue bridge pickup (have one in the other tele and really like it) but wondering if it will be overpowered by the neck wrhb. Had also considered the lil 59, though reviews on it are mixed, and to me, a tele without a tele style bridge pickup is kinda less than a tele, though I feel I have freedom to make this the more rockin', less traditional, tele. Have also considered hot stack, etc.

Thoughts? Thanks in advance.

2. jondanger

jondanger Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

I have a Fender Original Vintage in the bridge paired with a '74 original WRHB and I am really happy with it. I am able to get a balanced sound between the two pickups by lowering the neck to just above flush with the PG, and raising the bridge pretty high. This is the pickup that is in the AVRI Tele Customs. I had this pickup in a couple AVRI 52s as well, and have always liked it a lot.

I did have to flip the phase to get it to play nice with the WRHB, but that's minor surgery.

3. Telenator

Telenator Doctor of Teleocity Vendor Member

lowering the neck pickup too much will compromise the sound. I have gotten some great sounds from the Kinman Bridge Blaster and it will easily keep up with the mojo neck pickup. Since the neck pickup is a humbucker, the Kinman in the bridge spot will make the guitar noiseless. It's a good thing.

4. teleman55

teleman55 Tele-Holic

I've got the mojotone one in mine, w/500k pots (It's a CIJ and they were standard so didn't have to deal with that). It's a real nice pickup, definitely different from a bar magnet humbucker or a single coil. As for bridge pickup match? I've got the stock one. It's pretty low output, but that may be needed to get that magical middle position sound. It's a great pickup. It's the Fender Japan Tele vintage one. I think they called it the VL. But I've also thought of going hotter on the bridge pickup. If I did I'd stick with something pure Tele but hotter. Like an OV or Broadcaster or Nocaster. If you got a deal with Duncan or Dimarzio they have stuff like that.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.