72/73 Tele Deluxe prices (UK)

Discussion in 'Vintage Tele Discussion Forum (pre-1974)' started by Matthias, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Consider UK prices are high on vintage guitars...

For the UK market, what’s about right for early Tele Deluxes in player condition (bits of electronics, nut replaced, etc, play wear), and with a bearable 70s stain refin? And with/without original case? I know pristine ones are up to £3k now.

I have a lead on one that I may consider purchasing as a player and getting a better refin on eventually, as I guess that won’t affect value negatively.

Thanks all!

2. Flaneur

Flaneur Friend of Leo's

It has to have the WHRBs, in working order- or you should walk away. I wouldn't want to go far past 2, with a refin- and then, only if the tuners and fretwork are in good shape.

3. 63telemaster

63telemaster Tele-Meister

The general consensus seems to be that refins halve the value of an otherwise original vintage guitar. Then it's a case of further deductions for any other non original bits. There is always some haggling to be done and really comes down to how much a person wants to own/sell the particular guitar.

I'd say in the case of an early 70's Deluxe refin it becomes a little less black/white. Original WRHBs are valued and currently in vogue so that might need to be taken into account. Also consider that 3K isn't a great deal of money for what is now deemed a vintage Fender in nice original condition. When you start talking about half of that for the refin, minus other bits it starts to look like very good value indeed imo.

Regarding refinishing an already refinished guitar, it shouldn't negatively affect value, might even add some value if it's done well but possibly not enough to offset the cost of the work. Just make sure plenty of pics are taken to show there are no nasty routs hidden under the new finish.

If I was after an early 70's Deluxe player, I would definitely be looking at the guitar you describe in your post.

4. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. To clarify condition on what I’ve seen and been told by the person selling (who I know quite well):

- He’s had it since the early 90s. All original except nut and pots (3 old ones in the case. The other was lost along the way).
    - It’s got original humbuckers and they work. 73 date stamps. Insides look OK.
    - Tuners were stripped down, serviced and put back together and a fret level/dress. I need to find out about the case.
    - Fewer dings than I would expect for the years of love it’s obviously had, although the finish is worn off in various places on the fretboard, bu no sign of overspray I can see. The pickup covers have pick wear, especially on the top and bottom.
    - I need better pictures of the finish. I might revise my estimate of it. I thought it was an approximation of walnut that had faded unevenly but I have a hunch it might be an overspray on mocha where the overspray is wearing through.

So well played but not abused. I would definitely get the guitar and a decent refin (should I decide to do that) for under £2k. To me that doesn’t feel a bargain... But not dreadful for a 73 with a good body refin. It’s hard to price because these are shooting up at the minute. But it looks like a digestible price to me for a truly vintage player.

If it already had a better refin, I’d likely have bought it by now!

Last edited: Aug 14, 2019
  5. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Ok, so got some pics and the body finish is a pretty patchy dark brown overspray of the original mocha.

I’d say the rest varies from fair to good - no major damage but obvious play wear, mainly the finish worn through on various frets and a big patch of missing finish on the back from someone who obviously wore a very big belt buckle! Modern case. Most of the original electronics harness is in the case so I could try and refurb the three ‘73 pots and find an era-correct fourth. Or perhaps do that if prices rise.

So let’s presume we’re talking the value of a ‘73 Tele Deluxe with changed pots/caps and a decent body refin - I know the seller so not looking to make a profit but will deduct a couple of hundred for the refin from my offer.

As is, based on comments here and sold prices of various 70s Fenders in different states, I’m thinking the fair price is likely £1300 to £1500 in its current state, £1300 being a good deal. It’s difficult to imagine lower when the pickups are so expensive. This is tough to price!

6. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

I think 1600=2000 is more like it. I would certainly not sell for less than 1600. If the seller carefully removes the overspray he can get even more for it. More like 2500. Replaced pots are of little to no concern.

7. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

I think you’re on the right track +/- £200. There’s a refin with replacement pickups on reverb right now that they’re asking about £1350

8. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

Thanks. With fewer examples to go on with the UK market compared to the US, it’s hard to find a match for the same year and condition. This is made worse by eBay deleting old listings so quickly now. I wish we had the same prices for vintage guitars over here... I’d have a house full of them!

I’ve been wondering if I can get rid of the overspray and end up with a nearly complete ‘73 road warrior. That would be a nice thing to have and keep. I’m gassing for a vintage guitar, a restoration project and WRHBs so this is almost inevitable.

Thanks. This is pushing me into the sweet spot of what I think the seller would consider. Do you have the reverb link? I can’t find it on there.

9. ScribbleSomething

ScribbleSomething Tele-Holic Platinum Supporter

@Matthias https://reverb.com/item/26538252-fender-telecaster-deluxe-1973-mocha-refinish

If I were in the market I'd pay maybe $1200 for the example I listed — less £1k — just because I like the necks. I'd get someone to put the original bridge back and have the strings lined up correctly.

The "buckle rash" is ridiculous. Looks like someone might have tried their hand at making a relic. After thinking about it more actually makes me question its authenticity. The headstock is a little crazy too. There is a reason no one has jumped on it. A Deluxe less than $2k rarely lasts a day.

Sorry, maybe it's not a good example.

BTW £1300 would be a great deal if the pickups are legit.

10. Obelisk

Obelisk Tele-Afflicted

The Deluxe is a harder guitar to sell. I like them though. I bought my 75 a couple of years ago for $1500. It's supposedly refinished. I got a deal on it, but I wouldn't pay much above $2000-2500 for the same guitar. It has all of the original electronics though I swapped out the bridge pickup for another hotter WRHB that I had in my parts drawer. Seems like anything under 2000 UK pounds would be fair. I would try to get it for 1500 though. I am a bottom feeder in terms of buying stuff.

That guitar doesn't have the original pickups. It might have have sold at $2K if it had the original WRHB. It has been my experience that a bashed up guitar usually has more songs left in it than a pristine guitar in mint condition.

Matthias likes this.
  11. Antoon

Antoon Tele-Holic

He can sell only the pickup set for $700-800. Neck only may fetch that same amount. UK prices are at least the US price plus $100 (for shipping) and 20% VAT.

Matthias likes this.
  12. bender66

bender66 Poster Extraordinaire Silver Supporter

That's what I'd consider first.

Matthias likes this.
  13. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

100% legit. It’s in full working condition I’m told (remember I know the seller) and they have ‘73 serials. The covers are well scuffed upbut as I said all the wear is honest playwear, such as the finish worn to the wood in places on the first nine frets. It’s been loved over its life.

OK. I think I’m going to make an offer on this one. Thanks everyone... your input has been really useful :)

14. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

The good news is I’ll likely get to see this in person before committing. I am expecting to find the last (very recent) fret level was the last the frets will take going on the rest of the fretboard wear and the fact I can still see some wear marks on some frets.

So as an aside to my main questions, what’s the going rate for a maple 70s Fender refret at the minute and does anyone skilled in the north of the UK? (I’m aware there’s an art to freeing them from the poly and they need to come out sideways). I would likely go with stainless steel and if at all possible keep the finish original.

(BTW, I realise if the thing’s playable it might not be worth much less or any less because it’ll need a refret next time. I’m just figuring out project costs to turn this into a good player for years to come.)

15. Matthias

Matthias Tele-Afflicted

News! Got enough info to satisfy me, agreed a price and I pick it up next week!

Also got a good quote from a fairly well-known independent luthier and tech on a refret. He’s experienced in working on 70s necks. I might do that as “elective surgery” if the frets are a bit low for me :)

So my current plan is:
    - see if the tone pots can be rescued and if so put those and the original caps back in
    - put Pure Vintage pots in for volume, and if the tone pots are dead, same there with some Orange drops or NOS blue drops
    - there’s one odd-one-out replaced saddle, but it has the original. I’ll see if I can use Teflon tape to bodge it, as presumably the threads got worn and loose
    - replace the third-party nylon tuner button washer with more correct metal spring washers
    - if there’s anything funky like splices or bad solder on the jack or output cable, replace with modern like-for-like
    - try to remove the overspray, or if not, refinish
    - refret in stainless steel as this will always be a player

If I can restore the original, worn finish, and it’s aesthetically pleasing like the neck wear, I’ll be super happy, but I’m reckoning on a respray. I look forward to posting pics!

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019 at 2:12 PM
    63telemaster likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.