70th Anniversary Broadcaster or Esquire?

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by jsalvaggio, Sep 18, 2020.

If you had the extra cash, which 70th Anniversary model would you get?

1. Broadcaster

61.8%
  2. Esquire in 2 tone sunburst

11.8%
  3. Esquire in Lake Placid Blue

26.3%
  1. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Just for fun.

If you had the extra cash, which 70th Anniversary model would you get? Both is not an option. And I realize that for a few more bucks I could probably get a used Custom Shop, or even build a parts-caster for less money.

2. xtelesquirex

xtelesquirex Tele-Holic

I have an Esquire. So I'll vote for the Esquire. Get an Esquire!

3. Broadcasted

Broadcasted TDPRI Member

Hmmm....it depends on what you're after....I can say that with the custom shop broadcasters they're as historically accurate as they can be in terms of specs etc.....they have the thin nitro finish and if you're going for relic IMO the custom shop team built are doing a fantastic job....I've had the chance to play both the production and custom shop....both are great but the production has the thick plastic nitro finish, the "orange-ish" lacquer on the neck, has Phillips head truss rod versus slotted on custom shop and does not have the "blender" wiring by default....they have the same pickups so both sound excellent....it comes down though to more of what you prefer....as vintage accurate as can be=custom shop.....a faithful nod and honor of the past while still employing modern finishes/hardware=production model....I prefer the more vintage correct appointment myself and the feel of thin nitro on the neck and body....as for the esquire I can not comment as I haven't tried them....I feel though if I were to get an esquire I would want to add a neck pickup which defeats the purpose

IMadeYouReadThis and jsalvaggio like this.
  4. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

I'm leaning towards one of the new 70th Anniversary models, rather than a used Custom Shop, plus I'm not a fan of relics. I also like that I'm supporting my local dealer, and not some remote dealer on Reverb or eBay.

My local dealer just received a Broadcaster, I'm going to play it later today, but they also have the 2 Esquires on order (due early October).

Broadcasted likes this.
  5. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

Definitely the Broadcaster. I bought one a few months ago and it’s simply amazing. Worth the price of admission for the pickups alone (The Custom Shop “50-51 Blackguard” pickups which you can no longer purchase separately). I swear, these are the most elegant pickups I’ve ever heard on a Tele, especially the bridge. You really need to hear it in person. It’s magic. It’s one of those guitars that you really need to see and feel in person. Photos do not do it justice. And the color, again must see in person to appreciate all the subtle nuances in the beautiful nitro finish.

At nearly $2k, this to me is worth it. Still pricey, but it’s a guitar for life. Plus the fact that after 2020 they will no longer be made, I can only imagine they will gain in value over the years, if reselling is your cup of tea. I bought mine to play the heck out of and it’s extremely gratifying every time I play it. There’s something truly special going on with these. Inspiring, beautiful, amazing.

IMHO, custom shop is way overpriced for a telecaster. These are very basic designs with bolt-necks that will eventually have issues whether you are paying $400 or $7,000 custom shop. That’s a whole other discussion however.....

The Esquire is interesting for historical reasons, but the one pickup thing, especially on a Tele-shape looks odd to me.

But yes, go for the Broadcaster. This video here really captures the sound of the pickups (but they sound even better than this is person!)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
    Randypttt, fretWalkr, tery and 3 others like this.
  6. Broadcasted

Broadcasted TDPRI Member

Forgot to mention....if you're not set on having the collectibility of the 70th anniversary models....the custom shop also has the Vintage Custom Double Esquire.....it's exactly like the 70th Anniversary Broadcaster....only difference is that it has a 10/56 V neck instead of Broadcaster U.....you can find some of the Double esquires in the mid to low 2k range used....and the headstock says "Esquire" instead of "Broadcaster"....something to think about....same pickups, same blender wiring, same slotted truss rod etc....all same except the neck and the limited edition moniker of the Broadcasters

jsalvaggio likes this.
  7. Broadcasted

Broadcasted TDPRI Member

That's awesome that you're having the chance to play before purchase....haven't had that in a while for myself....and excellent karma on keeping your dollars local!!!...the small, local music shops are coming back strong!!!

LiveTransmission and jsalvaggio like this.
  8. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Oh man thanks for that video, a great demo.

Broadcasted likes this.
  9. Double Stop

Double Stop Tele-Meister

yeah, here’s a more extensive one that will have you salivating even more! In the video he’s playing a custom shop model, but same pickups and same guitar without the relic, etc

BassmanM, Broadcasted and tery like this.
  10. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Thanks - Mike Lewis sure knows how to demo a guitar.

Broadcasted likes this.
  11. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

What happens if you really like the Broadcaster? Will you wait until the Esquires are in and risk the Broadcaster selling?

12. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

o_O I didn't think about that scenario... If the Broadcaster blows me away, I'll buy it without regret.

13. ZenGuitarist

ZenGuitarist Tele-Afflicted

I just noticed today that the 70th Anniversary Esquires are now available in Canada and I've been dying to get one ever since I heard they were coming out. For me it was an insta-buy for the LPB model. L&M doesn't have them yet from the distributor so now the waiting game begins. It looks like it will be 4-6 weeks before I get mine.

Esquire_LPB.jpg

casey2910, RYAN1987M and jsalvaggio like this.
  14. kinkstah

kinkstah Tele-Afflicted

Although the bridge pickup on its own sounds glorious, I definitely have a use for a neck pickup on my Teles. So, Broadcaster for me, all the way!

jsalvaggio likes this.
  15. KATT

KATT Tele-Meister Silver Supporter

Or, if it was me, I'd offer to put down a deposit down on the Broadcaster for them to put it aside for a few weeks and when the Esquires arrive, try them all. I'm sure the shop will be happy to do it as they will get a sale either way.

jsalvaggio likes this.
  16. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

The Broadcaster

jsalvaggio likes this.
  17. AJBaker

AJBaker Friend of Leo's

Definitely the broadcaster.

Esquires are cool, but a telecaster/broadcaster is better!

jsalvaggio likes this.
  18. tery

tery Doctor of Teleocity

The Broadcaster all day long .

jsalvaggio likes this.
  19. guitarist232345

guitarist232345 Tele-Meister

If you don't have the Esquire get a ******* Esquire!

I have an Esquire so voted the Broadcaster, but my god the Esquire is a treat of a guitar. It is excellent for soaring rock tones and even better for rockabilly / tele twang style songs. Also when I put it clean through my tube amp it just sounds godly, so much clarity! Imagine a Tele but with even more clarity and twang - that is the esquire.

Also Esquires look incredible, much sexier than Teles.

GET THE DAMN ESQUIRE

20. jsalvaggio

jsalvaggio Tele-Meister

Very passionate reply :lol:

I already have a parts-caster built up as an Esquire, and understand exactly where you are coming from. They do look sexy, but if I keep the parts-caster then the Broadcaster makes more sense. If I sell the parts-caster, I might be tempted to get both o_O !

guitarist232345 likes this.
IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.