1. Win a Broadcaster or one of 3 Teles! The annual Supporting Member Giveaway is on. To enter Click Here. To see all the prizes and full details Click Here. To view the thread about the giveaway Click Here.

70's Telecaster (apparently), gold hardware - looks unusual...

Discussion in 'Telecaster Discussion Forum' started by umktcxw, Jan 27, 2021.

1. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Anyone any thoughts on this - see pic below. Has a neck pickup ring that I haven't seen before. Headstock has the Pat Number detail under logo. Could it be genuine?

Attached Files:

2. Nick Fanis

Nick Fanis Poster Extraordinaire Ad Free Member

3. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Here's the whole guitar

Attached Files:

4. John C

John C Friend of Leo's

Those gold/brass parts were around and fairly popular in the late 70s/early 80s - Schecter, Mighty Mite and others all had similar parts to that. So probably someone either just adding that to their early 70s Tele (if Teles were like Strats then the decals with a lingering patent number or two hung around until they moved the serial number to a headstock decal in 1976) or it's a parts guitar with a Fender decal. You would probably have to pull the neck off to check for any stamps that might help give you a timeline.

As for the Fender Black & Gold Tele -really it was the "Me Too" product as Schecter and the other companies had been selling brass/gold parts since the middle 70s, 5-6 years before the Black & Gold Tele was released in 1981. Also the Black & Gold was done to pair up with The STRAT that had been released in 1980 - matching up the gold hardware and heavy brass bridge (but The STRAT had fancy wiring while the Black & Gold Tele was standard Tele wiring).

5. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Really helpful guys - thanks!

6. VintageSG

VintageSG Friend of Leo's Ad Free Member

The twelfth fret marker spacing seems too wide. The area around the output socket looks 'flatter', although that may just be the picture angle. I -think- it's a quality clone with a decal and period brass/goldish parts. Neck and neck pocket stamps, routing and a close up of the headstock would confirm one way or the other.
    There were some very high quality Japanese clones around. Think Tokai, Aria and others. It has a heel adjust rod, so it isn't some cheap pile of poo.

Fretting out and bumnote like this.
  7. nickmsmith

nickmsmith Tele-Meister

The bridge pickup is definitely not original. Pickguard is hacked up and definitely not original. The neck looks like it could possibly be legit (hard to tell from such a distance away). I'm wondering if this just isn't a heavily modded, refinished 70s tele. Hope they aren't asking much.. because you can probably get a very nice modern tele new or used for cheaper than they're asking.

8. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Thanks again - here's the headstock - front and back...
    Headstock.jpg
    Headstock - rear.jpg

9. bumnote

bumnote Tele-Holic Ad Free Member

Not a 70's Tele...at least the neck.

12th fret markers way too wide
    Wrong tuners, should be "F" stamped
    Truss rod plug looks "off"to me.
    I don't think that's a Fender neck.

Need to see neck pocket.
    Notice the difference between a 70's era cut...
    17F00013-EB4F-406F-97C2-AEA8FB4ADC42.jpeg

And a pre70's-post CBS cut...
    41D75EEF-1091-4244-BE6A-6DCC1A26C70E.jpeg

I'd pass.

10. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Thats really helpful - thanks!

11. Boreas

Boreas Friend of Leo's Silver Supporter

Always a red flag for me is a non-Fender case. It isn't like they just fall apart. Certainly could be a replacement, but just a mental note for me.

umktcxw likes this.
  12. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

I'd stay away from that guitar.

Dan R and umktcxw like this.
  13. blue metalflake

blue metalflake Doctor of Teleocity

As per several previous posts, 12th fret dots too far apart, and the headstock looks a little skinny - not a Fender neck.
    Single string tree which would point to pre 73, is there a gasket below the neck plate, serial number should be on the neck plate.
    Be useful to see photos of the neck heel and body pocket.

umktcxw likes this.
  14. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

So....is there an F series neck plate that dates to the first half of the ‘70s...and that leads someone to believe they have a ‘70s Tele?? The ledge on the headstock side of the nut is too wide for a Fender ime. I would expect to see two string trees there if it were a ‘70s Tele neck.
    In short, there are not enough pics on which to base much of an assessment of all of the guitar. The whole guitar would have to be pulled apart to understand what is there that might be ‘real’. It definitely is nowhere near all-original. I don’t think the neck is a Fender. The bridge is not original to a ‘70s Tele...for sure. I am positive that the electronics are not original....the SD Hot Rails in the bridge proves that.
    It is a player grade guitar no matter what part originally left the Fender factory...and which part that might be is unknown at this time. If it is for sale, step back. One would have to have some experience to understand what value if any the guitar has...beyond worth as a musical instrument, that is. If the body is an actual Fender body, it has been refinished.....and again all details would have to be seen to ascertain this. IF there is an actual Fender neckplate with a serial number on it, that could be the most valuable part of that guitar.
    If you like the neck, how it plays, and how it sounds; it is worth €500 imho...max.....unless better pics of all details establish something other than what I think is there.

umktcxw and Boreas like this.
  15. umktcxw

umktcxw TDPRI Member

Thanks for this - really helpful.

16. Danb541

Danb541 Friend of Leo's

In addition to all of the things everyone else has pointed out, the headstock decal is wrong, the font is too thin and the spacing is off, especially the "TELECASTER" part IMHO.

umktcxw and Boreas like this.
  17. Boreas

I think it looks a little crooked. But here in the States, "crooked" is often in the eyes of the beholder...

18. warrent

warrent Friend of Leo's

Interesting listing
    https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274655021768

This guitar deserves better than me.
    You’re viewing an exceptional vintage custom Fender Telecaster with Seymour Duncan pick-ups and extended fretboard with a generic hard case.
    I inherited this guitar from an old friend 18 years ago. Sadly, she hasn’t been played nearly as much as she should have been and has existed mostly in storage. It’s time this baby had the chance to shred and so we must part company.
    Whilst not played in the last four years, the action is beautifully low for effortless playing and the Seymour Duncan pick-ups provide some serious kick with the custom design rounded out with Deluxe machine heads. There are signs of wear due to the age of the guitar, please review the photos carefully. The guitar needs to be strung as shown.
    Valuation.
    When I received the guitar I was told that it was a 70’s built custom Fender Telecaster, with a hand made replacement neck, valued at £1,500 - if true, I imagine the guitar’s value has increased considerably since then. Sadly, I am unable to verify this which is why I am willing to sell well below the original indicated value and consider sensible offers below the buy it now price.
    Please bear this in mind when purchasing - though I play a little, I have limited knowledge about guitars. I’m selling this beauty for the simple reason that I don’t play it and all I can do is relay what I was told when I inherited the guitar.

At this point I would really question if the body was by Fender as nothing else is. I guess "if true" is your ebay get out of jail card.
    And forget the twelfth fret marker spacing it's got 22 frets!

Fretting out, Danb541 and Boreas like this.
  19. Boreas

I think it is going to sit a while on the market. Sentiment and ignorance of the market makes it unlikely the seller will take what he sees as low-ball offers. One option I have used in the past is to educate the seller as best I can, and offer what I feel is fair. Often, the seller appreciates the education and responds in turn. Others just tell me to -----off.

20. Wally

Wally Telefied Ad Free Member

And there it is....no neckplate so no serial number. My evaluation just went down some more. I set up a squire CV last week that was a very good Tele guitar.....a used one can be had for much less than this guitar’s price.

IMPORTANT: Treat everyone here with respect, no matter how difficult!
No sex, drug, political, religion or hate discussion permitted here.